Tourist Visas Tourist Visas Tourist Visas

Here is my situation, but it would be of interest to anyone who can afford to live in Thailand long term without working, and is not buying the Elite Card (the mother of all tourist visas, so no more dissing long term tourists, please).

I am under 50, US citizen, (with assets that can be documented if needed to suggest that I do not need to work in Thailand) and want to know if it is possible to stay about two years in Thailand using this approach. In reality, I would not be a real tourist; rather, I would be living there in a purgatorial pre-retirement visa state.

1. Apply for a multiple entry tourist visa from a consulate in the US for as many entries as they will give (at least one, what is the maximum number of entries possible to get)?

2. Go for as many 30 day extensions on the 60 day visas as I can get. Is this advisable or might it cause problems if done repeatedly. What is an acceptable to state as a reason on the extension application? Is "continuing trip" be OK? Will these extensions be likely to be rejected if staying the same city (not touring around)?

3. When entries allocated from the US consulate are spent, fly to Penang and repeat step 1. Then repeat step 2.

4. Fly to the US if there is a problem getting a new visa in Penang, and repeat step 1.

I would then apply for a retirement visa at age 50 (assuming I still like the place).

Editorial comment: The age restriction is so arbitrary as there are so many people who can afford to retire under 50 these days, but it could be worse as it recently used to be 55!

Another question: if I wanted to study Thai at a language school during part of my stay, would it be any problem with just doing that and not mentioning that to immigration?

Get an application in to the Thai Consulate in Houston for a multi entry Non Immigrant O visa. Purpose is to study Thai culture. With clever use, that'll give you nearly 15 months stay. Another multi in Asia might be a problem, but Australia is a shorter option than the long haul to the USA unless you wanna say hello to people. Study won't cause a hassle on the O visa.