Safety Box

strikingsunset

Hi,

Just thinking reading all the horror stories of things getting pinched of buying a small safe/security box.

Just to hold laptop.kindle,ipod,passport,wallet.

Any suggestions where i can buy one please.?

Or maybe if things are going to get pinched its a hopeless deterrent,any thoughts ?

Office suppliers may be very expensive .There is a shop on the corner of Rama 4 and Suriwong that deals in safes,I bought an electronic safe 4 years ago from them - only B4,900 !!!! Last month I bought exactly the same safe from Makro: B 990.Different brand name .Makro's is under the Q Biz brand, electronic digital safe.Absolutely no difference between the two. Check out Makro. Is my advice.

Edited by afarang

Office suppliers may be very expensive .There is a shop on the corner of Rama 4 and Suriwong that deals in safes,I bought an electronic safe 4 years ago from them - only B4,900 !!!! Last month I bought exactly the same safe from Makro: B 990.Different brand name .Makro's is under the Q Biz brand, electronic digital safe.Absolutely no difference between the two. Check out Makro. Is my advice.

Thanks,thats much appreciated advice.

OP

Most of those safes seem to have some sort of "secret" method for opening them, or at least they are often suspected of having such faults.

And of course no small safe (or even careful chosing of your companions) will protect you from this:

or this:

Most of those safes seem to have some sort of "secret" method for opening them, or at least they are often suspected of having such faults.

And of course no small safe (or even careful chosing of your companions) will protect you from this:

http://www.thaivisa....-jomtien-hotel/

or this:

http://www.thaivisa....uest-in-naklua/

Happy days are here again. Mate ,nothing is 100 % secure.Even bank safes get done over. Your articles are about Hotels. We are talking Private residences. Pray do tell "what is your secret method for opening them"? I find the ones I Bought very satisfactory. And secure enough for my needs. I had one of those Red tin ones , but certain people helped themselves to its contents. Only needed a screwdriver. These are heavy, and solid. And would require much more sophisticated effort to open them.

Don't bye the cheap ones....

I don't have a can of beer I did try a can of Sweet Corn, net weight565 grams ,and I did find a lighter .They will NOT open my safe, despite repeated bashings,over about a 2 minute period. Any way, who , in a private home, is going to know whether this works or not. Understanding that it did not work for me. Could the video , have been "doctored" in some way?

Edited by afarang

Your articles are about Hotels. We are talking Private residences.

I dont see what difference it makes whether you are in a hotel or not: if someone can get to your small safe then they can probably remove it quite quickly and open it later at their leisure.

Yes, they can with ANY safe irrespective of its size. I did say in a previous post , that even bank safes get "done over".There is no such as a cast iron guarantee that precludes anything happening/ It may be that in a private home, in a place that most "visitors " may not frequent , that is not have access to, that are much safer and less likely to suffer the "trauma"of forced entry.Sure , there is no 100% possibility that nothing nasty will happen .So,on balance a small safe is a justifiable risk. ,I say again on balance.A small safe is a justifiable risk. Yes, I have now used one for 4 years. with zero drama.

Edited by afarang

Yes, they can with ANY safe irrespective of its size. I did say in a previous post , that even bank safes get "done over".There is no such as a cast iron guarantee that precludes anything happening/ It may be that in a private home, in a place that most "visitors " may not frequent , that is not have access to, that are much safer and less likely to suffer the "trauma"of forced entry.Sure , there is no 100% possibility that nothing nasty will happen .So,on balance a small safe is a justifiable risk. ,I say again on balance.A small safe is a justifiable risk. Yes, I have now used one for 4 years. with zero drama.

Yes Bill,I think your comments are very realistic and reasonable,I know if its the destiny of the safe box " to be nicked" it will be.

I just think at circa 1000 baht its an investment worth making for some "piece of mind"

Kind Regards,

OP

... they can with ANY safe irrespective of its size.

Sure. Nothing easier than stealing a 2 ton bank vault on the back of a Honda 125.

Pathetic !!!! And ludicrous,Hopefully someday you may develop a sense of humour

Sure. Nothing easier than stealing a 2 ton bank vault on the back of a Honda 125.

Hi Bill,

I am really sorry you are getting " flamed for no reason whatsoever.From my perspective you gave a very useful response to my question.

What is worrying is that this type of abuse will deter genuine guys like you going out of your way/time to share your knowledge.

Regards,

OP

Best security

Don't take prostitutes home.

At my age? Not a problem.The problem is often renegade members of your Thai family.One cousin did me for B4,000, while I was having a shower. Another broke into my tin box , before I got a proper safe, with a screwdriver. And nicked the monetary contents. Generally ,these activities are done under the influence of Lao Khao, or to attain funds to purchase same. Though the one who nicked the B4,000 did a runner . Was not seen in the village for 6 months. Such is life !!

Millions of safes and security boxes are available at, Global House, Home Pro and Big C.

They range from all prices and types.

I have a small security box, bought at Big C for 695 baht, which bolts to the wall and the floor. We placed a dressing table in front of it so it`s quite inconspicuous.

Our most prized possessions like jewellery, family air looms and so on, we keep in a strong box at the Bangkok Bank. Costs us for rent of the box about 650 baht a year.

Millions of safes and security boxes are available at, Global House, Home Pro and Big C.

I have a small security box, bought at Big C for 695 baht, which bolts to the wall and the floor. We placed a dressing table in front of it so it`s quite inconspicuous.

Our most prized possessions like jewellery, family air looms and so on, we keep in a strong box at the Bangkok Bank. Costs us for rent of the box about 650 baht a year.

Hope you don't mind. it is Heir looms.And yes Makro did have a range- many sizes

Hi Bill,

I am really sorry you are getting " flamed for no reason whatsoever.From my perspective you gave a very useful response to my question.

What is worrying is that this type of abuse will deter genuine guys like you going out of your way/time to share your knowledge.

Regards,

OP

I recall a gratuitous discussion with a 'security expert: His comments that I can recall were, if you want a safe at home:

- Buy a well known brand, should have combination (preferably push buttons) and keys

- Never touch the buttons with bare fingers, always use a tissue or cloth so that the oil from your skin doesn't get onto the buttons

- Never have the safe delivered from the shop (unless it's giant size)

- Ask the shop to change the cardboard box so that people cannot see the brand or picture of safe on the cardboard box as you walk to the car etc.

Esnure that the shp doesn't record your adress or phone no.

- Take the box into your house in the dark or cover it with a towel or something similar

- Invest in the needed power drill and other tools etc., and screw it to the floor yourself, and don't have friends help you. If there is a remote chance of flooding then ensure it's fixed to a ledge or similar, or build a small brick / cement platform.

- Think carefully about the location, should be inside a built-in cupboard or similar,inside a bedroom or less used room, cupboard should also have a substantial lock but not a padlock because that could attract attention.

- Never let other people see the safe, even closed. Wait until the house is empty or whatever before opening the cupboard and safe.

- If you have important documents consider keeping them in a bank safe deposit box with a well known bank, and just keep smaller items in the safe at home.

Edited by scorecard

Hope you don't mind. it is Heir looms.And yes Makro did have a range- many sizes

Sorry about that, but I ain as smarert as som of U`s thats gets on ere, like.

I recall a gratuitous discussion with a 'security expert: His comments that I can recall were, if you want a safe at home:

- Buy a well known brand, should have combination (preferably push buttons) and keys

- Never touch the buttons with bare fingers, always use a tissue or cloth so that the oil from your skin doesn't get onto the buttons

- Never have the safe delivered from the shop (unless it's giant size)

- Ask the shop to change the cardboard box so that people cannot see the brand or picture of safe on the cardboard box as you walk to the car etc.

Esnure that the shp doesn't record your adress or phone no.

- Take the box into your house in the dark or cover it with a towel or something similar

- Invest in the needed power drill and other tools etc., and screw it to the floor yourself, and don't have friends help you. If there is a remote chance of flooding then ensure it's fixed to a ledge or similar, or build a small brick / cement platform.

- Think carefully about the location, should be inside a built-in cupboard or similar,inside a bedroom or less used room, cupboard should also have a substantial lock but not a padlock because that could attract attention.

- Never let other people see the safe, even closed. Wait until the house is empty or whatever before opening the cupboard and safe.

- If you have important documents consider keeping them in a bank safe deposit box with a well known bank, and just keep smaller items in the safe at home.

I agree with all of the above.

While our house is undergoing construction I bought a villa in a Moo Baan for the family as a temporary home and quickly learned about the importance to keep a low profile. Two families in the Moo Baan has had armed intruders who has forced them to open the safe at gunpoint. In my case, I had TWO big safes, and realized that the word was probably already on the street so I removed both safes and created a hidden place instead. I made sure a let everybody know the safes were both vone... The real valuable stuff is stored in a different location, but the message here is to avoid creating the illusion that there is a lot of valueable stuff in the house. Pretty basic, really. I didn't realise this at first, nearly cost me that mistake...