Russian Found Hanged In Phuket Police Cell

george

Russian found hanged in Phuket police cell

phuket-1-10541kaamCyoJHiBhLIeARhBPoYNirI.jpg

The motorbike rental operation where the young

Russian threatened to self-immolate on Saturday night

PHUKET: -- Phuket Police are investigating the apparent suicide of a Russian tourist while in a detention cell at Patong Police Station on Saturday night.

Patong Police duty officer Pattapee Srichay confirmed the identity of the deceased as Evgeny Otrubyannikov, a 26-year-old Russian national.

Mr Evgeny apparently took his life at about 10pm by using his shirt to hang himself by the neck from an iron bar inside a cell where he was being held in solitary confinement.

“We do not yet know what caused him to commit suicide. We intended to question him the following day, after he calmed down,” Lt Pattapee said.

Mr Otrubyannikov’s detainment followed a report earlier the same day by a motorbike rental operator on the beach road, opposite Burger King.

Under the condition of anonymity, the operator said that the man appeared at about 5:30pm with two gasoline-filled bottles – and a cigarette lighter.

“He just walked up and poured the gasoline onto my rental motorbikes and onto himself, while holding a lighter. I pushed him away from my motorbikes, and some tuk-tuk drivers helped me grab him and seize the lighter,” said the operator.

“He seemed quite drunk and smelled of alcohol. Meanwhile, he said something about his passport that I didn't understand very well,” he added.

The operator denied having rented a vehicle to the Russian, who was in possession of the passport when taken into custody by Patong Police.

“He may have had a problem with another rental outfit and got confused,” said the operator.

Arguments between motorbike rental operators and their clients are a common source of problems in the Phuket tourism industry.

Although required by law to be able to be able to produce their passport at any time when requested to do so by authorities, many tourists willingly hand over their travel document as a form of surety when renting out a bike.

Problems inevitably result when there is a motorbike accident, injury, arrest or the passport is accidentally lost.

Although the issue has been raised repeatedly in recent years at meetings among the island’s honorary consuls and sitting governor, little has changed in how the motorbike rental industry operates.

Renting a motorbike is a dangerous but financially attractive option for tourists in Phuket.

A good-quality motorbike can be rented out for a whole day for about 150 baht, about half the cost of a short ride in a tuk-tuk.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-06-20

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He may have had a problem with another rental outfit and got confused," said the operator.

Got confused eh ? how come you DID have his passport ?????.....

"Arguments between motorbike rental operators and their clients are a common source of problems in the Phuket tourism industry."

Yeah because they keep trying to scam the tourists !!!

RIP the Russian guy, not saying he was blameless in all this but its still a terrible wasts of a life.

Edited by CharlieH

Yep, as always another "suicide" but this time IN police station. I wonder if the foreign suicide will ever stop in Thailand.

After all, the only thing i am struggling with is why would someone fly to Thailand to commit suicide? can they not do it back home :blink:

First things first, what a waste of a young life...I am only guessing here but it does sound like he had a problem with one of these scam artists over a rented motorbike, probably something similar to what happens when you rent a jet ski and as usual he is a farang so he is fair game (a few tuk tuk drivers helped restrain him)..i bet they did...never rent anything in Thailand, you are at the mercy of these scum bags if you do

"He may have had a problem with another rental outfit and got confused," said the operator.

<snip>

Was the 'operator' taken into custody?

I read it that the Russian had his passport when taken into custody.

The operator denied having rented a vehicle to the Russian, who was in possession of the passport when taken into custody by Patong Police.

But you never know with the reporters from the "English" newspapers.

Edited by whybother

"Arguments between motorbike rental operators and their clients are a common source of problems in the Phuket tourism industry."

RIP the Russian guy, not saying he was blameless in all this but its still a terrible wasts of a life.

You read it the same as I did at first but re-read it and the Russian had his own passport. And with the smell of alcohol he probably was pretty drunk.

Once a friend of mine guested in a Russian village. He couldn't manage to stay there a planned week and left after 4 days. The reason was alcohol abuse by the locals. For 4 days he did not see a single sober face. They drink really hard guys. As he said, they do not actually eat well. Whichever house he visited, In the center of the table is always a huge bottle of home-made alcohol and a sausage, or a bread loaf for a "snack" . The whole family including children and old people are drinking. As he said they drink continuously, go to vomit, come back and drink again. And it is offensive for a host if the guests are rejecting a drink. He happened to be there in winter, temperature was minus 30 and along the street you can see drunk people sleeping everywhere on the snow. (or maybe dead already, who knows?). He says that even local police were drunk.

Another thing. In one of Dubai hotels, me personally observed such a scene: a Russian family: husband, wife, grand mother and two kids around 11 - 12 years old came down to the hotel bar. Security had to stop children, as it is illegal to visit bar if you not reached 21 in Dubai. Parents were extremely frustrated and what they finally did, they bought a bottle of Smirnoff and handed it to the kids, saying " go to your room and have fun"

Russians dont drink more than any body else , look at the drunken english in Patong area or Patpong ..... I know Russia very well and yes they might drink a bit more than others but I dont think that is the case here .. Probably the guy who rented a motorbike and who had the passport wanted more money for some scratches on the bike , same as jet ski ... I dont know ... You can be drunk but not want to kill yourself with gasoline ... My guess is this , he probably had to pay a huge amount of money to the motorcycle rental and those Russian coming in Thailand for holidays , are here on very low budget and dont have much money, the shame of asking to the family etc .... can be that reason. Another "fishy" story involving one more time tourists and operators ( motorcycle,jet ski etc ..) . Not the best place to come for quiet holidays anymore apparently .

You read it the same as I did at first but re-read it and the Russian had his own passport. And with the smell of alcohol he probably was pretty drunk.

How do you smell of alcohol when you have gas poured over yourself?

Yep, as always another "suicide" but this time IN police station. I wonder if the foreign suicide will ever stop in Thailand.

After all, the only thing i am struggling with is why would someone fly to Thailand to commit suicide? can they not do it back home :blink:

:rolleyes:

This may not be your only struggle, but you made me laugh :lol:

Once a friend of mine guested in a Russian village. He couldn't manage to stay there a planned week and left after 4 days. The reason was alcohol abuse by the locals. For 4 days he did not see a single sober face. They drink really hard guys. As he said, they do not actually eat well. Whichever house he visited, In the center of the table is always a huge bottle of home-made alcohol and a sausage, or a bread loaf for a "snack" . The whole family including children and old people are drinking. As he said they drink continuously, go to vomit, come back and drink again. And it is offensive for a host if the guests are rejecting a drink. He happened to be there in winter, temperature was minus 30 and along the street you can see drunk people sleeping everywhere on the snow. (or maybe dead already, who knows?). He says that even local police were drunk.

Another thing. In one of Dubai hotels, me personally observed such a scene: a Russian family: husband, wife, grand mother and two kids around 11 - 12 years old came down to the hotel bar. Security had to stop children, as it is illegal to visit bar if you not reached 21 in Dubai. Parents were extremely frustrated and what they finally did, they bought a bottle of Smirnoff and handed it to the kids, saying " go to your room and have fun"

it wouldn't quite be so bad if it was only " a huge bottle of home-made alcohol " :(

'Aftershave drink' kills Russians

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6752515.stm

Please Dr. Phil , do enlighten me what my other struggles are.?

:rolleyes:

This may not be your only struggle, but you made me laugh :lol:

How does the scam normally work? I am planning to rent a motorbike on my next trip and would like to be prepared.

Typically the motor bike scam involves a tourist renting a bike and having to leave his or her passport with the rental agency as a deposit for the bike. Then when the bike is returned to the agency scratches or other faults are pointed out and a huge sum of money is required to cover the damage. The other and crueller version of the scam involves someone from the rental agency turning up at the renters hotel in the wee small hours with a duplicate set of keys and taking the vehicle back... then the renter has to report the bike as stolen... the so called insurance is useless and they have to pay to replace the bike before they get their passport back

Typically the motor bike scam involves a tourist renting a bike and having to leave his or her passport with the rental agency as a deposit for the bike. Then when the bike is returned to the agency scratches or other faults are pointed out and a huge sum of money is required to cover the damage. The other and crueller version of the scam involves someone from the rental agency turning up at the renters hotel in the wee small hours with a duplicate set of keys and taking the vehicle back... then the renter has to report the bike as stolen... the so called insurance is useless and they have to pay to replace the bike before they get their passport back

Thanks for the valuable insight. So how should one protect oneself? Renting from more reputable operators (assuming one exists :) )

Russians dont drink more than any body else , ..

... I know Russia very well and yes they might drink a bit more than others

So, which is it, then? Have you been on the drink yourself?

The fact is, generally, they DO drink more than others, or they CAN'T hold it as good as some others. Either way, 'getting drunk' is generally their main aim.

“We do not yet know what caused him to commit suicide. We intended to question him the following day, after he calmed down,” Lt Pattapee said.

Guess he's pretty much calm now. The question really is why this guy was holding his passport? There's only one reason, that's to ask for more money..................:jap:

Russians dont drink more than any body else , ..

... I know Russia very well and yes they might drink a bit more than others

So, which is it, then? Have you been on the drink yourself?

The fact is, generally, they DO drink more than others, or they CAN'T hold it as good as some others. Either way, 'getting drunk' is generally their main aim.

Isn't the majority at tourist destinations drinking lots of alcohol? :jap:

"......150 baht, about half the cost of a short ride in a tuk-tuk."

Why does anyone go to Phuket?

Starting in central Pattaya you can go just about anywhere worth going to for 10B on a bahtbus, or 20B max if you have to change bus.

Thanks for the valuable insight. So how should one protect oneself? Renting from more reputable operators (assuming one exists :) )

The answer is quite simple. There are operators with a good name, not holding your passport for mentioned reasons with a proper insurance. An ordinary motorcycle insurance is only covering 14,000 baht for any hospital expenses. I went through an accident, but had full coverage through my social security.

Wouldn't have been funny without it, to pay 125,000 baht in cash..................................:jap:

why is it such a big deal with passport anyway? if one doesn't have enough money to pay for crashed bike, it is always an option to

a) get money from abroad with WU or whatever;

B) just claim passport as lost, get a temporary ID and go back home in peace. Well there's a chance to get blacklisted, but that's not the same as a suicide and Thailand is not the only tourist country in the world.

"......150 baht, about half the cost of a short ride in a tuk-tuk."

Why does anyone go to Phuket?

Starting in central Pattaya you can go just about anywhere worth going to for 10B on a bahtbus, or 20B max if you have to change bus.

Not everybody likes Pattaya as you obviously do...................................:jap:

Perhaps instead rent a car from a reputable company like Avis or Hertz?

Drunk tourists, with no motorcycle riding experience, confused about riding on the left or right side of the road... it's not a good combination.