Isaan To Angkor Wat

irishken

Thanks for the info and that link. I have no problem changing at the border but i cant seem to find which would be the closest border crossing to isaan or is there only one at Aranya

I suggest you read this thread:

http://www.thaivisa....reapphnom-penh/

Unless others agree, I doubt you will find a direct bus and will have to stop at the border and change.

Not at all .There at least 2 border brossings. One in Si Sa Ket Province and one Chong Chom(Thai) O'smach(Cam)in Surin Province.Strangley enough ,I had a pair of backpackers stay with me, and they Hitch hiked from Nikkom in Buriram province through to Siem Reap , in one day, crossing at Chong Chom. I have no idea what transport is in Cambodia, but there is public transport in Surin , right to the border. It appears to be coming a more popular crossing point.AS Arun., Poipet, is now so "crowded..From Muk., you have no problem getting to the Surin border by public transport. I don't have any experience of the Si Sa Ket crossing, so sorry cannot advise ,about it

Edited by afarang

thanks mate. ill have a look into this.

as much as i want to see the in laws and mukdahan i think while i'm up there and have nearly 5 weeks holidays which i may never get that long again i should try take advantage of it

Not at all .There at least 2 border brossings. One in Si Sa Ket Province and one Chong Chom(Thai) O'smach(Cam)in Surin Province.Strangley enough ,I had a pair of backpackers stay with me, and they Hitch hiked from Nikkom in Buriram province through to Siem Reap , in one day, crossing at Chong Chom. I have no idea what transport is in Cambodia, but there is public transport in Surin , right to the border. It appears to be coming a more popular crossing point.AS Arun., Poipet, is now so "crowded..From Muk., you have no problem getting to the Surin border by public transport. I don't have any experience of the Si Sa Ket crossing, so sorry cannot advise ,about it

Any further questions .Please don't hesitate to ask .If it is within my realm of expertise , O.K,. I will answer you . Understand your predicament. Certainly some interesting things to see around here, Can certainly spend some time exploring Cambodia. All the best, Have Fun.

IMHO the most convinient way for you to go to Siem Riep is...go to Laos.Take sleeper bus which goes direct to Siem Riep;these buses go from VienTien and from Pakse - overnight.Vien Tien bus goes along MekhongRiver down south passing your home on the way.You start in the evening - next day you will be in AngkorWat or even in PP,if you wish.Sleeper bus means: couchette - you have bed to lie down,but you share it with another passenger - sometimes,with good luck - blond scandinavian;but if you have bad karma - you may end up with old prick like me.It is very comfortable ride.On the way - you can visit 4000islands archipelago(SiPanDong) and waterfalls there.

You can also take direct flight from Pakse to SiemRiep(half an hour).

thanks mate. ill have a look into this.

as much as i want to see the in laws and mukdahan i think while i'm up there and have nearly 5 weeks holidays which i may never get that long again i should try take advantage of it

From Chong Chom/O-smach there are Taxis going to Siem Reap/Wat Angkor for 2500Baht. Friends of mine did the trip in December. They didn't complain so far, so it seems to be ok. No personal experience.

fatfather

will do,

thanks

Any further questions .Please don't hesitate to ask .If it is within my realm of expertise , O.K,. I will answer you . Understand your predicament. Certainly some interesting things to see around here, Can certainly spend some time exploring Cambodia. All the best, Have Fun.

all feasible routes, with the transport offered are in the site talesofasia.com

No need at all to go via Laos-and pay for another visum.

Buses Buriram-via Aran-to Chantaburi run about hourly. it is a bit of roundabout, but well travelled and with good buses now

From the ohter border it is by the essence of Khmer transport: a hired motosay, motodop.

Once again a prime example to me of how ill-informed TV seems to be in transport matters. Those often so mocked at backapckers seem to know better.....

• Like 1

Buses Buriram-via Aran-to Chantaburi run about hourly. it is a bit of roundabout, but well travelled and with good buses now

From the ohter border it is by the essence of Khmer transport: a hired motosay, motodop.

Once again a prime example to me of how ill-informed TV seems to be in transport matters. Those often so mocked at backapckers seem to know better.....

A couple of problems . It is more than an 8 travel time by 2 buses from Muk .to Buriram, without counting waiting time.You have to catch the green bus from Muk to Ubon, which runs day time only, then wait for Nakorncha Air's first evening service Ubon- Chiang Mai which is the only service going through Buriram from Ubon to catch the 522 route bus to Chan, the next day .Then a further minimum 10 hour to Chan . then to catch another bus to Trat from Chan,and again other transport to the border. I agree ,it is a most interesting trip.But incredibly long. Whereas getting to a border crossing point in Si Sa Ket or Surin Province is relatively easy.And you can get to Siam Reap in 1 day ,easily. There is another option , that is catch the "yellow" bus from Muk. to Plackonchai and then stay overnight , as the connector, the 274,(Surin- Korat via Plackonchai to Nang Rong,where you can also catch the 522) does not run at night. To Korat. Ill-Informed ,am I?

A couple of problems . It is more than an 8 travel time by 2 buses from Muk .to Buriram, without counting waiting time.You have to catch the green bus from Muk to Ubon, which runs day time only, then wait for Nakorncha Air's first evening service Ubon- Chiang Mai which is the only service going through Buriram from Ubon to catch the 522 route bus to Chan, the next day .Then a further minimum 10 hour to Chan . then to catch another bus to Trat from Chan,and again other transport to the border. I agree ,it is a most interesting trip.But incredibly long. Whereas getting to a border crossing point in Si Sa Ket or Surin Province is relatively easy.And you can get to Siam Reap in 1 day ,easily. There is another option , that is catch the "yellow" bus from Muk. to Plackonchai and then stay overnight , as the connector, the 274,(Surin- Korat via Plackonchai to Nang Rong,where you can also catch the 522) does not run at night. To Korat. Ill-Informed ,am I?

Great reply, but do you wear a backpack??? :lol:

Great reply, but do you wear a backpack??? :lol:

Sadly, at 71 years of age, and definitely in my dotage, I must plead " No"rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

You could also work backwards ----- start at the end of the journey.

I find Canby gives a lot of info about Cambodia. The link below will give you lots of telephone numbers for Siam Reap.

http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/siem-reap-hotels-price.htm

Some of these people will be quite prepared to have you collected at Chong Chom --- for a fee of course. (and you will have to stay at their hotel)

Having stayed in a great room in Encore Angkor for 30 USD, in the centre of Siam Reap, these people are quite familiar with your type of problem.

My guess is about 1200 baht, certainly not more than 1500 baht.

Working backwards often gets me past bottlenecks fairly easily. But, of course, it took me years to discover this.

The road is earth with rolled in stone, so you will have a bone shaking journey.

Good luck.

Very interesting site. A gravel road,eh? Some years ago ,I travelled on the Poipet to Sisophon road. It was Bomb Craters. The pick-ups would disappear into them- you could not see out, they were so deep. A Ford 6610 tractor was assigned about every couple of kilometres, during the rainy season, as so many vehicles , including heavy trucks got regularly bogged.Hell of a trip, it was .Nearly 3 hours to cover approx. 50 kilometres.

• 1 year later...