What To Bring?

Natztar

Hi all..

Its going to be my first time to Thailand, and I´m coming in November, I have a return ticket for 4 months, and I´m hoping to get work in a dive center as a Dive master. Everyone who I have spoken to, have said don´t take anything, but all your clothes and toiletries ..basically everything you need when you get there. Is that right? Or are there things I should bring? This sounds dumb, but I also read somewhere, that you can´t buy tampax out there..is this true!?

Also, do you recommend buying a mobile phone sim card? What are the prices, can I bring my mobile that I use now, and put a thai sim in it? I know thers a fair few questions there, however Ide really like to hear what you all have to say, am very excited and very nervous about going!!! Thanks xx

Hi all..

Its going to be my first time to Thailand, and I´m coming in November, I have a return ticket for 4 months, and I´m hoping to get work in a dive center as a Dive master. Everyone who I have spoken to, have said don´t take anything, but all your clothes and toiletries ..basically everything you need when you get there. Is that right? Or are there things I should bring? This sounds dumb, but I also read somewhere, that you can´t buy tampax out there..is this true!?

Also, do you recommend buying a mobile phone sim card? What are the prices, can I bring my mobile that I use now, and put a thai sim in it? I know thers a fair few questions there, however Ide really like to hear what you all have to say, am very excited and very nervous about going!!! Thanks xx

Try taking a work Permit..... :o

I am guessing you are a girl, and no, there are no tampax here, ob is available tho. Most toiletries are available but it depends on where you want to go for availability. I tend to buy my clothes in the US as alot of clothes are too small, even one of my Thai staff has complained about having to buy L clothes (and she weighs about 50 kilos!) You can get bc pills over the counter for quite cheap (if you are American that is, if you are British then get them for free there).

If you are from the US you need to make sure your mobile phone is triband or it won't work here. Alternatively, you could get a thai mobile second hand for around 2,000-3,000 baht in MBK in Bangkok.

4 months isn't too long, you'd be surprised what you can manage without!

gburns, I understand that most employers help their employees get wp, that you have to have the job before the permit so it wouldn't make any difference trying to get one in the first place because she couldn't get one.

Tampax are avaliable in Boots and sometimes watsons. Boots are own make ones but they are quite expensive so it may be better to bring some with you.

If your phone is set up for only one network provider you may need to get it chipped so it accepts a thai sim card, or you can buy a phone here for a couple thousand baht.

Julie

Forgive me for assuming that you may spend at least some time first in Bangkok.

If necessary, your phone can be unlocked in MBK Center, Siam Square in about 25 minutes. Look carefully for applicable signs on the floor on which mobiles are sold. The cost, if I remember correctly, is considerably less than that which you'd pay westwards. Besides, M(ah) B(oon) K(rong) is a well trodden shopping excursion in itself. And MBK is arguably the best place also to buy a phone (1st or 2nd hand) here.

Btw, pack as little as possible. And then divide that in half :o

If necessary, your phone can be unlocked in MBK Center, Siam Square in about 25 minutes. Look carefully for applicable signs on the floor on which mobiles are sold. The cost, if I remember correctly, is considerably less than that which you'd pay westwards. Besides, M(ah) B(oon) K(rong) is a well trodden shopping excursion in itself. And MBK is  arguably the best place also to buy a phone (1st or 2nd hand) here.

Btw, pack as little as possible. And then divide that in half :o

MBK the centre for broken handsets! However good at chipping etc, so half a good point in my opinion!

Hi

I have been 4 times and each time I take less and less EVERYTHINGS out there!

Bring your phone along and buy a sim in bangkok 500BHT

They sell sanitry towles in all 7 elevens, although I'm not a girl had to make many a trip for my girlfirend.

Clothes take your some of your own and buy the rest there, the sizes vary but who can argue when your paying a dollar or so for a T - Shirt :D

OH if your gonna take anything take IMODIUM cos you'll need it for the first month or so :o

Where bouts are you going? Theres a Tescos in Samui Bangkok and Chiang Mai has 2, I'm sure theres loads more outh there but I haven't been to them.

Your going on a tourist visa right? If so get the 60 day one in your country and get pay for a few more entries! then each time you go to the border you will get stamped 60 days in! You can only do it for a max of 4 times, then you will have to go every 30 days.

I remember I took roll matt, mozzi net, sleeping bag and never used them once its all there for you!

Send me a message if you want to know anything else.

Take care Ash :D

Edited by agsnowdon

If necessary, your phone can be unlocked in MBK Center, Siam Square in about 25 minutes. Look carefully for applicable signs on the floor on which mobiles are sold. The cost, if I remember correctly, is considerably less than that which you'd pay westwards. Besides, M(ah) B(oon) K(rong) is a well trodden shopping excursion in itself. And MBK is  arguably the best place also to buy a phone (1st or 2nd hand) here.

Btw, pack as little as possible. And then divide that in half :D

MBK the centre for broken handsets! However good at chipping etc, so half a good point in my opinion!

Broken handsets may unwittingly be purchased the world over. In other words, & despite your 'well reasoned' :o criticism, MBK have no monopoly on their sale.

But whether you're buying at MBK or anywhere else, caveat emptor should be borne in mind.

Nonetheless, at MBK, it is usually possible to exchange any faulty handset following purchase and time is given on purchase to establish that the handset is, at least, working. If either of these options are not given then simply move on. My experience of purchasing at MBK and that of some I personally know has been most satisfactory.:D

Having a local cell phone is really handy.

Upon arriving in BKK go to the Pantip Plaza. There are several Nokia sellers on the ground floor.

They usually speak enough english. Buy a new cheap GSM phone like the nokia model 3315. It will be about 3500 baht with a sim card. Go with the "1-2card" gsm system(green package). They have better coverage around the country. My prefference is the nokia 6610. They can often be found used for a reasonable prices(about the same as a new 3315). The 6610 is tough and durable too with better battery life. It is smaller and has a few more features than the 3315.

The 3315 is what most ordinary thai people use. Don't bother with the fancier stylish flippy phones. More expensive and fragile..

But the 3315 will get you started without having to spend a bundle.

BTW the there are some nifty to calling international off your cell phone cheaply.

If dialing the USA for example you dial 009-1-areacode-number. about 15 baht a minute! Very useful if you intend to call home on occasion. For other countries I'm sure there are other tricks.

If you're in Patong I can steer you towards a very helpful cell phone store that doesn't gouge the farang.