Is There A Local Election On 26Th June?

GuyDow

I was told last week that there is a local election in Bangkok on Sunday 26th June. Therefore no alcohol is sold from 6pm on Saturday 25th June until 6pm on Sunday 26th June. Accordingly, most of the bars will be closed on Saturday night.

Can anyone confirm or (preferably) refute this?

I know there is an national election on Sunday 3rd July and no alcohol / no bars will apply on Saturday 2nd July. The question is do we have two "dry" Saturdays on the trot?

The answer is yes. No alcohol sales from 6pm of 25 June to midnight of 26 June. And again from 6pm of 2 July to midnight of 3 July

26 June is advance voting day.

The answer is yes. No alcohol sales from 6pm of 25 June to midnight of 26 June. And again from 6pm of 2 July to midnight of 3 July

It is even worse than I was told. Two "dry" Saturdays and two "dry" Sundays on the bounce!

It is even worse than I was told. Two "dry" Saturdays and two "dry" Sundays on the bounce!

Wow.. the world is coming to an end.. no alcohol for two weekends :D

You can always stock in and drink at home :whistling:

What's wrong with Mondays to Fridays? :unsure:

I fly into BKK on the evening of the 26th. I was beginning to regret not staying more than 12 hours before catching my next flight but seeing this I think I made the right decision.No reason to leave the Novotel before going back to the airport.

MiG16, Floridaguy

Thanks for the information. I don't live in Bangkok but I will be there the next couple of weekends. I can now plan my arrangements around the situation you have described.

Brewsterbudgen

Thanks also. I had heard this was a possibility.

there used to be places (khao sarn) that would still serve alcohol, but in plastic cups or tea cups instead of proper glasses and bottles

not sure if they still do that.....

but in case u really feel the urge to go out, there may still be options. most places will be quiet though....

there used to be places (khao sarn) that would still serve alcohol, but in plastic cups or tea cups instead of proper glasses and bottles

not sure if they still do that.....

but in case u really feel the urge to go out, there may still be options. most places will be quiet though....

Last time I was in this situation, as you say, you can usually find somewhere.

Nevertheless, planning on a more quiet evening than usual.

It could be worse, you could be in Pattaya where it will be dry for 4 consecutive weekends

25/26 June - out of district voting for national election

2/3 July - national election

9/10 July - Pattaya local elections (maybe these will happen in Bangkok too?)

15/16July - Buddhist holidays

It could be worse, you could be in Pattaya where it will be dry for 4 consecutive weekends

25/26 June - out of district voting for national election

2/3 July - national election

9/10 July - Pattaya local elections (maybe these will happen in Bangkok too?)

15/16July - Buddhist holidays

Do you think the Tourist Authority of Thailand will be publicising this to potential tourists?