Inexpensive Hotels In Ubon Ratchathani

connda

I'm tired of doing web searches for inexpensive hotels (300 to 500 baht a night) in Ubon Ratchathani. I'm sure there are some, just not well advertised. I'm not a tourist, I'm visiting and need a place to "sleep" for two nights. Clean would be nice. Any ideas.

I forgot the name of the place,but you turn in tre soi that runs left of the Tesco lotus parking lot,go on for about 500 meters on your right side you will see a fairly new place.Slept their many times 500 Baht,quiet and clean.

Hi...the best value in Ubon has to be Pha Daeng Mansions. I have stayed there a few times and for 450 baht you get almost brand new hotel, very large clean rooms, quiet, wifi plus much more. They don't have breakfast so you will just have to come to my coffee shop for that which is called Peppers Bakery and Cafe...quick plug haha. Phone number for Pha Dang is 045254600 and they are located on Pha Dang road just down from The Wrong way bar. Call in and I can show you were it is if you like. Cheers..

Hi...the best value in Ubon has to be Pha Daeng Mansions. I have stayed there a few times and for 450 baht you get almost brand new hotel, very large clean rooms, quiet, wifi plus much more. They don't have breakfast so you will just have to come to my coffee shop for that which is called Peppers Bakery and Cafe...quick plug haha. Phone number for Pha Dang is 045254600 and they are located on Pha Dang road just down from The Wrong way bar. Call in and I can show you were it is if you like. Cheers..

Have to agree, I used to stay at the wrongway, but now have little ones and the Pha Dang is a much better place, we stay there when we go to town. Jim

"When we go to town" Love it. When I was a kid , living at Exford, about 6 kilometres from Melton, it was " Off to the big smoke"(the 1950's) "Going to town" was going to Bacchus Marsh.!! 15 kilometres away. "The big smoke" was Melbourne ,about 30 kilometres away. and we went on the train , hauled by R class steam locomotives.Aha ,way to go .Yeah.

"When we go to town" Love it. When I was a kid , living at Exford, about 6 kilometres from Melton, it was " Off to the big smoke"(the 1950's) "Going to town" was going to Bacchus Marsh.!! 15 kilometres away. "The big smoke" was Melbourne ,about 30 kilometres away. and we went on the train , hauled by R class steam locomotives.Aha ,way to go .Yeah.

Bit before me, town was Geelong and Melb will always be the big smoke. As you once said 6 degrees of separation. Jim

Just noticed Melbourne mentioned, i went to Bathurst 3 Years ago,jeez you Ozzie's can Party, I'm better now, nearly...Those Supercars are something else.:jap:

It was a bit of a joke, Jim comes from outside Geelong, and I came from outside Melton.

Peppers is opposite the entrance to the Air force Base. There are two fighter jets on display. It is right in front of the big wall that starts at the entrance to the base. Cheers. John...

That's interesting,i zoom round Ubon a fair bit,whats the best Landmark for Peppers,I'm bored with Central,but its easy to find with limited time

+1 more for Phadeang Mansion (pronounced par deng). Use it for one night most months.

+ Clean and new

+ Kingsize 6 foot bed if you pay 500 baht (room only) and good sized accommodation - I'm guessing 40sq.m for the room + bathroom

+ Flatscreen has falang channels including True Sports

+ free wi-fi works fine in rooms + a free PC on every floor

+ all equipment in room (aircon, fridge, TV) and bathroom (hot shower) still working well

+ covered parking if you don't leave it too late (open parking otherwise)

+ central location (walkable in the cool of the evening to most entertainments)

+ you are not constantly pestered by boom boom salesmen in the car park - like at the Tokyo hotel (a grungy hotel); Padaeng is casual guest-friendly I observe but it's not in you/your family's face

+ English speaking (not fluent but not basic) manager always seems to be available when I call or visit, I have enough Thai but this is important for tourists

+ set back from the roads so not much detectable traffic noise (the incoming flights might disturb you but there are only 2 most days before 11am)

Minuses:

- no direct light window in the bedroom, though the kitchenette door window transmits some light. The kitchenette, with an outlook, is useful if you are a smoker , but an open balcony with a french door would have been better. As Bergen observed the accommodation layout is designed with Thai floor-eaters in mind (not suggesting that the guests are so poor/hungry that they start consuming the hotel fabric - I mean families sitting on the floor to eat, having bowled up some takeaway in the kitchenette)

Minuses that you might expect for this kind of money:

- bathroom is 'over the toilet' shower style, but the room is big enough that you don't actually get the toilet drenched! Oh - no bath BTW.

- walls and doors are a bit thin; clackety clack from the tiled corridor may wake you

- beds are firm (but not bricks)

- no in-room safe

- breakfast not currently available on site

- towels and linens are budget hotel but not tatty. Has typical rubbish soap and shampoo

Exceptional value for a city hotel even by Thai and Issaan standards. I'd want to pay more for a more comfortable bed and breakfast if I was on holiday en famille or staying for longer than a few nights in which case I'd be looking at Tohsang Ubon hotel for THB 1,200 to 1,500, which is western-style 4 star and has a notably good breakfast buffet and the usual extras like in-room coffee, safe, bath, shower curtains and toiletries.

Comments apply to the 500 baht rooms - I have not tried the slightly cheaper ones.

I think I just wrote the definitive review :rolleyes:

Anybody recommend a place that is in-between Phadeang's 500 baht and Tohsang's 1,200? I hear the resort opposite Home Hub on Ring Road west has comfortable huts for 800 baht but that's not central.

Edited by SantiSuk

Peppers is opposite the entrance to the Air force Base. There are two fighter jets on display. It is right in front of the big wall that starts at the entrance to the base. Cheers. John...

That's interesting,i zoom round Ubon a fair bit,whats the best Landmark for Peppers,I'm bored with Central,but its easy to find with limited time

Great, even a Whinging Pom cant miss that. Call in next visit.:D