Expats In Nan?

bjohn34

I have been living in Northern Thailand for several years and have visited the Nan area several times. It seems like it might be a peaceful and quiet and serene to live for a while.

Any expats there who can comment on their experiences, availability of rental housing, cost of living, services, etc?

thanks

I've been to Nan. Rural province with some farming and hills, and a small, very quiet town. On again, off again flights. Noticed considerable deforestation in the area, so nature is not as nice as it once was. ( I assume). Same applies to Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phrae. All of those places are pretty similar. Out of these I probably like Phrae the best, but that's personal preference.

Why not visit the North and check out all provinces? Don't forget Mae Hong Son. Don't forget Petchaboon. (Not technically a Northern province, but very remote feel)

If you change your mind about the complete remoteness then you can find places in Chiang Mai province that feel VERY remote, yet aren't hours and hours drive from the nearest airport, cinema or supermarket.

I have been there three times, overall I noticed the same thing as Winnie. I'm acquainted with two expats who live there. They like it, but it's not for everyone. But if the quiet life is what you seek, I think there's a good chance you can find it there. You may find yourself wanting to do supply run every now and then as the selection of goods available is not as great as in CM or even CR. The Internet works surprisingly well for being so remote, but if it is a crucial aspect of your life, you won't be able to live too far out of town. Being such a small place, cultivating good relations will be extremely important.