Htc Inspire/Desire Use In U.S.

hey guys, several friends of mine have the HTC phones, one just bought the new HTC inspire HD. these phones are great, but im american and i plan on going back in a year or so. i live in malaysia(kuala lumpur) and ive done a few hours research and i believe the new HTC phones run on quad band frequencies meaning i should be able to use the phone in the U.S.

but im dont know. i also dont know about the sim cards available in the U.S. it seems from a quick search there are a few options like t mobile, boost mobile and att etc but i dont know they look like the same sims for my samsung i use here but i have no idea about this stuff

so basically this is my situation, i dont really care about super fast download speeds on the internet via my mobile phone but i do need to be able to talk and txt etc and if i buy a phone here for 4-6 USD id only do it if i can be sure i can use it here and there aswell

any help is appreciated

..on a side note i just spent a month in phuket, had a great time, muay thai, beaches, food everything was sweet

Depending on your locations in the U.S. either T-Mobile or AT&T would be good pre-paid options. Your phone should be un-locked, be able to accept a SIM and support GSM 1900. Most phones called quad-band meet these requirements.

I've been a pre-paid T-Mobile customer for ~ 7 years; for data I subscribe to the $1.49 per day 2G plan. AT&T and T-mobile (perhaps merging so not sure what will ultimately happen with each of their separate plans) offer a huge assortment of pre-paid options.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-005ZH4-0-2&_requestid=191684

You should be able to use it nation-wide (in the US) with AT&T.

T-Mobile however runs on AWS, a special (unusual) frequency hence you may not be able to use 3G with unsupported phones on T-Mobile.

Since the OP said, "... i dont really care about super fast download speeds on the internet via my mobile phone.." I chose not to address the 3G (high speed mobile data) topic.

Just to re-iterate, and clear up any confusion: Any unlocked, SIM-capable, GSM1900-capable phone would work with either/both AT&T or/and T-Mobile for voice, text and GSM data (2G: GPRS/EDGE).

If 3G is a requirement then look for 850/1900 Mhz UMTS functionality (for AT&T) or 1700/2100 (AWS) for T-Mo. Chances are, that if you purchase a localized product in Malaysia, or Thailand, it would be 900/1900/2100, so look at this map for 1900 coverage --> http://www.cellularmaps.com/att_850_1900.shtml

AT&T does offer 3G on pre-paid plans. I'm not certain T-Mobile does.

hey thanks guy i really appreciate the input, i did quite a bit of research today and i thought the responses would be as such. anyway i looked at the new galaxy s II today and it offers all of which i require, although its brand new so i may go after the htc desire s which is the latest version and the price may be a bit cheaper for about the same product although the galaxy is faster...

anyway bla bla bla thank you

actually guys i got 1 more question. i might end up gettting a diff phone but i like the htc Desire HD alot but for band frequency it says;

Europe:

• HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Asia Pacific:

got this from their site here; http://www.htc.com/sea/product/desirehd/specification.html

what i wanna know is as a GSM phone it says it supports all the frequencies but lists them under europe and asia, it doesnt say "quad band" like the sensation and desire s and samsung etc say. so will this phone work as a GSM phone in the U.S. or what?

^^ For that specific model, both the Europe and AP models support the same set of frequencies. That means it is pretty much the same.

It is a quad-band phone, but not quad-band 3G. The phone will support AT&T and T-Mobile older 2G networks (regular calls and slower data). However, it will not support 3G networks on T-Mobile for sure and may support some of AT&T's 3G network where they have 2100MHz HSPA coverage.

actually guys i got 1 more question. i might end up gettting a diff phone but i like the htc Desire HD alot but for band frequency it says;

Europe:

Asia Pacific:

got this from their site here; http://www.htc.com/sea/product/desirehd/specification.html

what i wanna know is as a GSM phone it says it supports all the frequencies but lists them under europe and asia, it doesnt say "quad band" like the sensation and desire s and samsung etc say. so will this phone work as a GSM phone in the U.S. or what?

Define "work". Do you require 3G, high speed mobile data, in either you current location or in the U.S.?

The HTC Desire HD would, where coverage allowed, support both voice and GSM (lower-speed, 2G: GPRS/EDGE) data on the GSM1900 Mhz band on either T-Mo or AT&T in the U.S.

The North America version of the Desire HD support 3G: 850/1900 so would work on AT&T's 3G network; it would NOT work on T-Mo's 3G network.

The other global versions of the Desire HD support 3G: 900/2100 Mhz so would not work on wither AT&T's or T-Mo's 3G networks.

There is an AT&T version of the Desire HD called the Inspire.

Make sure you read reviews of the HD, many complain about the poor screen and bad battery performance.

When are you returning to the U.S.? When you return what will be your calling and mobile broadband requirements? Pre-paid? Post-paid? I only ask because you could get a subsidized phone, one of the spiffy new models for $100 with a two-year contract.

I bought an ATT sim card for my Nokia while in Ohio. It worked fine for calls but I didn't try the Internet because the minutes were too expensive. WiFi is wide spread in that area and I was usually able to get a WiFi connection.

ADDED - It worked throughout Ohio, West Virginia and North Carolina.

Edited by Gary A

im looking into several phones, the galaxy s 2 looks like the best but doesnt seem as durable as the new sensation, but everyone seems to complain about samsungs UI. anyway im not nearly that picky, im not a phone whore i really like these new smart phones but honestly besides looking cool and having fun things to do while im on a train or something i dont care to much about how crazy they are or arent

really im interested in the camera and the reception and ill be using pre paid

i should be in asia for another year or so and will look into plans here aswell but most are 2 years and im not gonna stay here that long. if i can get the desire HD for a good price i might just go with it cause it seems to be what i want, i honestly like the desire S better but the camera isnt as good, still very good cam but...the extra weight of the HD is no problem for me really

or i may just say fuc_k it and get the galaxy or the sensation or something i dunno

but again, yea i dont really care about internet speeds and all this shit, sure ill use internet at wifi locations but not gonna go outta my way to pay for it or anything, not at this point in my life anyhow.