Thailand Sets To Become Organic Farming Hub By 2015

webfact

Thailand sets to become organic hub by 2015

news2011-06-22_09-14-00_255406220003_vegetable.JPG

BANGKOK, 22 June 2011 (NNT) – The Ministry of Commerce has set a target for Thailand to become the organic farming hub as well as the world’s kitchen by the year 2015; however, some businesses must firstly have their product and service quality upgraded to the international standard.

Deputy Permanent Secretary for Commerce Piramol Charoenpao elaborated that Thailand is at present moving towards becoming Kitchen of the World while the international community is paying more attention to organic food, health and the environment.

Ms Piramol stated that efforts have been taken for three to four years to make Thai food firmly established in the international market within 2015. Toward that goal, the Commerce Ministry has been tackling weaknesses in the Thai organic farming as some farmers still do not understand and realise the importance of this issue.

The deputy permanent secretary added that her ministry had so far been arranging seminars to provide information for farmers, build up networks of related entrepreneurs and open access to more marketing channels by enticing specific target groups such as consumers with health concerns.

Ms Piramol noted that more entrepreneurs are interested in making investment in organic industries, but diversities must be developed especially in the fields of food, Thai fabrics, spa and hotel businesses while the ministry will try to uplift their quality since only some of them are now holding international standards while others still need adjustments.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-22 footer_n.gif

What a load of rubbish.

You might be right. It is certainly very optimistic. In the UK, the Soil Association require farm land to be free from artificial fertilizers and pesticides for 2 years before the produce can be called organic. After that, there are strict controls on what fertilizers and pesticides may be used. If the same rules are applied in Thailand, the use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides will have to stop by 2013. That is only 18 months away. It is not going to happen voluntarily.

What on earth is this obsession with hubs ?? Does anyone believe any of these stories that seem to surface every week or so in the press? The hub of this, the hub of that....absolutely ridiculous. The Thai folks where I live, an agricultural area, are continually spraying anything that does not move with chemicals. Poster rreddin is right in what he writes regarding organic certification in the UK, but this is Thailand, they'll probably make up their own rules, and if that fails, there's always tea money. :whistling:

What a load of rubbish.

You might be right. It is certainly very optimistic. In the UK, the Soil Association require farm land to be free from artificial fertilizers and pesticides for 2 years before the produce can be called organic. After that, there are strict controls on what fertilizers and pesticides may be used. If the same rules are applied in Thailand, the use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides will have to stop by 2013. That is only 18 months away. It is not going to happen voluntarily.

Exactly. It can be done, but needs a lot of work, procedures and control, something for which Thailand is not really a hub I'm afraid. Getting certified won't be easy.

hub, hub, hub... What's the hubbub, bub? :ph34r:

If I had any musical talent I would cover Monty Python's Spam song but instead call it Hub. Then I would take some nice pics of Thailand for the video with quotes about each hub that the country is looking to be.

TheWalkingMan

however, some businesses must firstly have their product and service quality upgraded to the international standard. <BR sab="353">

Most businesses can maintain an acceptable standard in Thailand lets stand an International standard.

What a load of rubbish.

With everything fake in Thailand that can be find, why notan organic faming. How can you check or trust that the hub is really organic. SometimesI wonder about the organic produce available in US

This forum is very much like Glenda Slag of Private Eye (for predominantly British posters). I've just posted on a thread critising Abhisit, daring to suggest some points made were valid, with an out pouring of knee jerk responses to the contrary,

I'm supposing Deputy Permanent Secretary for Commerce Piramol Charoenpao is on Abhisit's team?

Edited by evanson

What a load of rubbish.

With everything fake in Thailand that can be find, why notan organic faming. How can you check or trust that the hub is really organic. SometimesI wonder about the organic produce available in US

My Thai wife recently attended a seminar on healthy eating and got friendly with another of the guests who owned her own 'organic' farm. She was freely admitted that she was tipped off about any upcoming inspections and that it was easy to pass off chemically grown veggies as organic.

What a load of rubbish.

Exactly. It can be done, but needs a lot of work, procedures and control, something for which Thailand is not really a hub I'm afraid. Getting certified won't be easy.

"getting certified won't be easy"

Whoever thought of this for Thailand wants CERTIFYING.:lol::lol:

hahahahaha hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks saved me the trouble - funny as &lt;deleted&gt;!

Fresh water cress grown in the Bkk canals ? :lol: they are already ORGANIC--sh#te everywhere :lol:, look at most markets and mushrooms growing on toilet walls :lol:

What a load of rubbish.

I hate to disagree, but Thailand is a hub for lack of procedures, lack of control and the capital of laziness. So another hub is perfect. the only problem is just like all other "hubs", mind you there is one at least every month, Thailand is also a hub of having short memory, so all the hubbing will be forgotten by tomorrow :)

What a load of rubbish.

I hate to disagree, but Thailand is a hub for lack of procedures, lack of control and the capital of laziness. So another hub is perfect. the only problem is just like all other "hubs", mind you there is one at least every month, Thailand is also a hub of having short memory, so all the hubbing will be forgotten by tomorrow :)

Excellent post.

It may already be the hub for "delusions of grandeur"

Definitely a short memory hub, the world capital of it. Conveniently forgotten there is already a self imposed ban on Thai vegetables to the EU, self imposed because it was considered to be less damaging than the ban the EU was going to impose due to pesticide levels. :whistling:

Dear Kuffki, thanks for the compliment. You just confirmed that by now my English has reached a level where I'm able to write understatements which confuse other non-English speakers. That is assuming I understand what you wrote. ;)

I wrote 'needs lot of work, procedures, control, not known in Thailand'. You wrote disagree, Thailand does none of that. In my eyes that's about the same as 'not known in'. The other hub you mention to be perfect is the one I wrote 'can but not easy in Thailand.

This really brings me to the question, do you know what you talk about? Sorry, but having come full circle I do not see what else I can conclude :ermm:

It was a joke, :)

Remember that by now Thailand has been the hub of almost everything and yet not many things follow any logic. :)

Dear Kuffki, thanks for the compliment. You just confirmed that by now my English has reached a level where I'm able to write understatements which confuse other non-English speakers. That is assuming I understand what you wrote. ;)

I wrote 'needs lot of work, procedures, control, not known in Thailand'. You wrote disagree, Thailand does none of that. In my eyes that's about the same as 'not known in'. The other hub you mention to be perfect is the one I wrote 'can but not easy in Thailand.

This really brings me to the question, do you know what you talk about? Sorry, but having come full circle I do not see what else I can conclude :ermm:

It is definitely the "Hub of Whingeing Farangs"

Some day it would be really nice to come to TV and see a forum about the ALL good things in Thailand without all the knockers adding their comments....Now who is going to be first to flame me...Your prize is a wet bus ticket

Kuffiki is a Thai basher.

He has not one good thing to say about Thai's. To him they are only good if they serve him.

His expertise on Thai's is derived from Pattaya and Kosan road in Bangkok. Hardly a good base to draw sweeping conclusions from.

The OP has a 4 year time frame and is very open about the fact that a lot has to change.

Why he would like to shoot it down now is beyond me. I often wonder what it is these Thai basher's gain with there constant stream of bashing. I notice they never bash how cheap it is to live a comfortable life here how cheap it is for them to enjoy the pleasures of life here. In short they are just a sad lot.

Kuffiki is a Thai basher.

He has not one good thing to say about Thai's. To him they are only good if they serve him.

His expertise on Thai's is derived from Pattaya and Kosan road in Bangkok. Hardly a good base to draw sweeping conclusions from.

The OP has a 4 year time frame and is very open about the fact that a lot has to change.

Why he would like to shoot it down now is beyond me. I often wonder what it is these Thai basher's gain with there constant stream of bashing. I notice they never bash how cheap it is to live a comfortable life here how cheap it is for them to enjoy the pleasures of life here. In short they are just a sad lot.

Welcome Dr Phil, please do tell me more about who and what i am.

How did you manage to derive at conclusion of my expertise? did you take it from your personal experiences?

PS. It is not Kaosan but Khaosan or Khao San, just a thought to get the names correct prior to posting.

You also forgot to mention Nana and Patpongrolleyes.gif

I was not aware that Isaan was actually the "REAL "Thailandblink.gif, considering that they do not even speak Thai, but rather Isaan which is no doubt you are aware is either half lao or half khamer. but since it is the real Thailand according to your deep and thorough understanding of the people, country and culture, you may want to visit all those "bad" places and you just may find that only majority if not all people working in those places are from Isaan. Funny that, is not itwhistling.gif

As for your delusional statement about time frame, first the EU ban needs to be lifted, only then would be the time to even start discussing "hubbing" optionsunsure.gif

It is definitely the "Hub of Whingeing Farangs"

Some day it would be really nice to come to TV and see a forum about the ALL good things in Thailand without all the knockers adding their comments....Now who is going to be first to flame me...Your prize is a wet bus ticket

Why not you make a thread and start the list of all the great things, rather than make your judgements of what and who people arerolleyes.gif

What a load of rubbish.

This is what I (and many other people) are thinking. In a country where all laws, including murder, can be overlooked for the right ampount of money (and that isn't usually a lot) how do they expect anybody to trust the integrity of the farmers or officials who oversee organic certification?

Let's face it, Thailand isn't exactly the hub of honesty or the hub of integrity. Actually for all the laughable 'hub schemes' that have been promised from these clown politicians, none have come to fruition. They should take a more practical approach and strive to be the hub of graft or the hub of xenophobia.

hub hub hub

The one thing we know for sure it is the hub for wanke_rs who can not make it and are socially unacceptable where they come from. This hub allows them to look down there noses at others rather than being the one's who are looked down on.

It is also a hub for retiree's who want to live in a beautiful environment with opportunities to do things they could only dream of back home. Opportunities to have a life free of the restrictions placed on them by the need to earn money.

I am not going to say it is but it might be a hub for those looking for new and different opportunities to make a living. The posabilities are endless and they need not be negative. The choice to dwell in the negative is yours it is not enforced on you. That is a presumption on my part that you are not mentally sick. Sorry if that is the case. Suggest you leave Thailand it is not a hub for restoration of mental health.

Dr Phil