Addressing Elderly

ChAoS87

Hi folks, i would like to ask whenever we step into the home of our thai friends, and got to meet their family/relatives? How should be address them? Do we address them as 'ป้า' or 'แม่' if its my friend's mum, then father vice versa? How about elder/younger siblings?

Sorry my Thai is bad but elderly female Yai elderly male Leung should work, it does round my locale, and then youngsters are Nong. Around your own age is a matter of younger or older, younger is eg Nong (nickname) and older is Pee (nickname). Hope this helps

If they are the mother and father of friends of yours then คุณแม่ and คุณพ่อ is appropriate and polite.

For siblings of your friends who are of a similar age to you I would tend to use their names at first with the honorific คุณ if you don't know them too well. Once you get to know them then just their name, or as the Mosha suggests, พี่ or น้อง followed by their name is friendly and perfectly polite. Don't worry, they will soon let you know if you're getting it wrong.

ป้า and ลุง are good for older friends or family who are not necessarily blood related, but not for the mother and father of your friend. If you know their name use the ป้า and ลุง as honorifics to precede them. If not use คุณป้า and คุณลุง until such time as they tell you otherwise.

Sorry my Thai is bad but elderly female Yai elderly male Leung should work, it does round my locale, and then youngsters are Nong. Around your own age is a matter of younger or older, younger is eg Nong (nickname) and older is Pee (nickname). Hope this helps

Make sure you use the correct tone on 'Pee', or you will be calling them a ghost!

RickThai