My Thai Wife In The U.K, Whats The Chances Of

so we can go to my brothers wedding out there in September?

Just to be clear he isn't residing in the U.S, they just chose Central Park-New York as the place to go and do the deed.

Her current visa status, Further Leave to Remain.

Anyone done it or attempted?

p.s she has a sister living in Canada so failing her being able to go U.S whats the chances of visiting next door and I jump on a plane into N.Y for the wedding, which will mean I am with her going in and out of the country ;)

I imagine that as she is resident in the UK then obtaining a US visit visa should be relatively simple.

All I can suggest is that you contact the US embassy in London.

Not much help, I know. To be honest, the main reason for my posting is to bump your question back to the first page!

As she will have ties to the UK it should be pretty straightforward, she needs to be able to prove reasons to return. It's certainly a lot easier for the spouse of a UK National, especially as you are both living in the UK, than it would be for an American taking his wife to the US for a visit.

In the event a visa wasn't approved, hopping over from Canada wouldn't work, as she still needs a visa. Don't forget that she will also need a visa for Canada.

I honestly believe that providing that she can prove her ties to the UK she will be granted a visa.

Good luck to you both and enjoy the Big Apple.

No clue but if she has residency in UK as well as family and yourself, I think odds are pretty good.

In addition to the wedding, I would have her (you two) take in some of the US. This is both enjoyable and adds legitimacy to the app. A Thai from presumably modest background flying in for YOUR brothers wedding could look a bit weak.

New York is obviously a great city to tour and she (you two) should go have a look upstate. There is also Connecticut as well. Washington DC is but a train shot away as is Boston.

Has anyone from the UK (or any other similar western nation) succeeded in taking their Thai wife on holiday to the US even though the two of you live in Thailand and even though you can show a few years marriage and that she has a house and other reasonably substantial assets in Thailand? I love the US and I know my wife will too. Am dying to do another grand tour, this time with wife and daughters.

Shame on the US if they are painting all applicants with a sterotypical 'here comes another wanabee US hooker' brush, as seems to be the implication in the thread. :whistling:

Has anyone from the UK (or any other similar western nation) succeeded in taking their Thai wife on holiday to the US even though the two of you live in Thailand and even though you can show a few years marriage and that she has a house and other reasonably substantial assets in Thailand? I love the US and I know my wife will too. Am dying to do another grand tour, this time with wife and daughters.

Shame on the US if they are painting all applicants with a sterotypical 'here comes another wanabee US hooker' brush, as seems to be the implication in the thread. :whistling:

Sure have, read some more posts on this forum. My now wife has been to the U.S. five times, first three as my GF, last two as wife on her 10-year validity visa.

Mac

A Thai from presumably modest background flying in for YOUR brothers wedding could look a bit weak.

Why? She would be going with her husband, the groom's brother.

Indeed, why try and embelish it. She is a Thai lady, living with her husband in the UK, that should be a good enough reason to return, the fact that she may, or may not, come from a modest background in Thailand is immaterial in this instance.

That said there are plently of things to enjoy on the East coast, maybe for future trips.

Here is how I got there...she needs a purpose for visiting. The more purpose, the more valid your reason is for giving out a TEN YEAR visa. The US is taking a big risk letting a Thai national into the US - essentially for a day. Ask yourself, what is there for the US to gain by giving a Thai national who wants to visit for a day a ten year visa? Nothing.

I am not stating at all lie on the app at all, what I am stating is that if a person is going to to the US for the purpose of seeing it. That is going to be a far stronger case imo. You are applying for a tourist visa after all.

Modest background because most Thais simply are and I think that would be the embassies assumption as well. Hardly immaterial. One of the questions is who is paying for your trip? If she is not then the husband must have all sorts of supporting information for her.

They make all sorts of assumptions (are you a hooker, do you do drugs, do you launder money....?) and it is up to you to dissuade them of that. Its their game.

I'm sure she is a lovely woman. I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

My girlfriends visa went splendidly, but she had all sorts of things going for her. Every case is different, but at the core - all the same.

Edited by bangkokburning

thanks for the replies, I was hoping for someone who had actually been through the process from London recently to respond but will give it a go, looks like she just needs to fill in the form and pay from their site

this looks like the link to me http://london.usemba...60_tourism.html for anyone who is interested

just got to fill in and follow from there?

Still would be good to see if anyone actually done it lately?

just to clarify when I said about visiting canada to see her sister I meant go to canada, leave the wife there whilst I fly in for the wedding then return to canada so I will be flying in and out of canada with her at both times ;)

have heard canada is pretty relaxed who they let in within reason?

Edited by norrona

Here is how I got there...she needs a purpose for visiting. The more purpose, the more valid your reason is for giving out a TEN YEAR visa. The US is taking a big risk letting a Thai national into the US - essentially for a day. Ask yourself, what is there for the US to gain by giving a Thai national who wants to visit for a day a ten year visa? Nothing.

I am not stating at all lie on the app at all, what I am stating is that if a person is going to to the US for the purpose of seeing it. That is going to be a far stronger case imo. You are applying for a tourist visa after all.

Modest background because most Thais simply are and I think that would be the embassies assumption as well. Hardly immaterial. One of the questions is who is paying for your trip? If she is not then the husband must have all sorts of supporting information for her.

They make all sorts of assumptions (are you a hooker, do you do drugs, do you launder money....?) and it is up to you to dissuade them of that. Its their game.

I'm sure she is a lovely woman. I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

My girlfriends visa went splendidly, but she had all sorts of things going for her. Every case is different, but at the core - all the same.

theres no way i'd be flying to new york just for the day....we would definetely be doing the sites.

do they really last for 10 years? :blink:

theres no way i'd be flying to new york just for the day....we would definetely be doing the sites.

do they really last for 10 years?

Yes the standard visa is for ten years, though they sometimes issue visas for a shorter period.

An applicant who is settled with her husband in a western country than the UK is going to have a far higher chance of obtaining a visa than an applicant living with an American Citizen in Thailand, they will assume she wants to settle in the US, wishing to bypass the settlement process.

do they really last for 10 years?

Yes the standard visa is for ten years, though they sometimes issue visas for a shorter period.

An applicant who is settled with her husband in a western country than the UK is going to have a far higher chance of obtaining a visa than an applicant living with an American Citizen in Thailand, they will assume she wants to settle in the US, wishing to bypass the settlement process.

thanks very much mate, will let you know how we get on.