Becoming A Thai National

I am an American national with a Thai mother, and I was considering the option of applying for Thai nationality. I understand the process by which I am granted a Thai birth certificate, but once I have received this certificate, then what do I do? How long could I stay in Thailand without having to make a visa-run once if i've been issued a Thai birth certificate? Can I use it to get a Thai passport?

If you can get a Thai birth certificate you can apply for Thai citizenship with Thai passport. Does your mother have her Thai documentation up to date ?  What is your age now ?

I am 27 years old (born 1978). My mother moved to the U.S. 28 years ago. When you ask whether her Thai documentation is up to date, what do you mean?

what he means is if you mother has her Thai ID, house registration and birth certificate on her. She'll need this to prove that you are eligible for a thai citizenship.

You should also get the Thai passport before you leave the US, so you don't have to worry about visa runs.

Koolrockski,

Are you opening yourself to possibility of National Service in Thailand?

Just a thought.

Hmm... after 28yrs maybe your mother doesn't still have house registration.

DC Embassy/Consular website is less than helpful. Confirms your eligibility for citizenship/nationality but doesn't tell you how to go about it.

Suggest you contact or visit the Thai consul responsible for your state and ask exactly what is required.

Koolrockski,

Are you opening yourself to possibility of National Service in Thailand?

Just a thought.

Hmm... after 28yrs maybe your mother doesn't still have house registration.

DC Embassy/Consular website is less than helpful. Confirms your eligibility for citizenship/nationality but doesn't tell you how to go about it.

Suggest you contact or visit the Thai consul responsible for your state and ask exactly what is required.

As unfashionable as it may be, keep your US citizenship. We'll eventually get our sh*t straight (I hope). BTW, as my GF tries to keep me from saying, the King is techichally American, born the same hospital as me (Cambridge, MA), worth a drink, not a meal, unfortunately.

I think there's a rule to that saying that if you serve in gov't office or in another nation's military, you are no longer eligible for US citizenship. I'd assume becoming king of another country falls in there somewhere.

:o