Hobby Or Hobbies

Mirth

Is it just me or do others have the same problem? I find that whenever am here in Thailand, i will have loads of free time and i just don't know what to do with them. What do you guys really do with your free time. What hobby or hobbies are you guys or gals going into? Am thinking of starting a Lego collection but looking at the price tag here and reading the horror stories of shipping from overseas, don't know if it's really a good idea.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My hobbies / fishing / training / computers.

About the charity work.. kinda hard without a work permit plus i dont agree about the welcoming us part :P

Its a nice place with nice people but there are a lot of bad sides too

Cuddling orphans, patchwork quilting,learning Thai, exercise every morning on the treadmill and weights just to name a few. Also spend a bit of time cooking as my Thai family continuosly give me food so I try and pay them back with Non-Thai food eg spaghetti bog, pizzas,etc

You are here reading and posting in a forum right? Isn't that free time? Only charitable work a foreigner can do in Thailand is to donate money cos labor office states that a permit is required for every work a foreigner does outside his/her abode even if it means pouring yourself a mug of beer in your own bar.

Gosh I wish I had free time ...Charity work ?

Giving back to a country that welcome you is always a good use of free time

You are here reading and posting in a forum right? Isn't that free time? Only charitable work a foreigner can do in Thailand is to donate money cos labor office states that a permit is required for every work a foreigner does outside his/her abode even if it means pouring yourself a mug of beer in your own bar.

:D

Like robblok, I enjoy fishing, and especially fly fishing, so I tie flies...

Cameras_013.sized.jpg

I wander around Thailand with my fly rod finding beautiful areas to fish.

First_morning_2.jpg

I'm a photographer, a hunter and an artist, so I like to draw and paint the things I catch, photograph... or hunt

cutthroat_after_fly_painting_Em.jpg

Rising_pheasants.jpg

Snowy_Owl_on_stone.jpg

Kurasea_Em.sized.jpg

I also like to carve in wood

Wooden_carvings_2.sized.jpg

Wooden_decoy_4.sized.jpg

And sculpt in stone..

Soap_stone_Polar_bear_1.sized.jpg

Soap_stone_Walrus_2.sized.jpg

I've written and illustrated outdoor stories for magazines for 50 years, and I'm currently finishing off a book about my adventures. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day to do all the things I enjoy. That is probably why I am better off being single.

Edited by IanForbes

Gym, squash, running, reading and studying, and looking after my kids. In between these activities I manage to find time to moan quite a lot :D .

We enjoy the moaning, Rich. It gives us something to tease you about. :D Keep up the running man: it will extend your life and keep you feeling young.

oh yes, this is such a good idea. There are so many worthy place's that could really use a hand.

And the joy one get's from giving back is immense indeed.

Goodluck.

Like robblok, I enjoy fishing, and especially fly fishing, so I tie flies...

Cameras_013.sized.jpg

I wander around Thailand with my fly rod finding beautiful areas to fish.

First_morning_2.jpg

I'm a photographer, a hunter and an artist, so I like to draw and paint the things I catch, photograph... or hunt

cutthroat_after_fly_painting_Em.jpg

Rising_pheasants.jpg

Snowy_Owl_on_stone.jpg

Kurasea_Em.sized.jpg

I also like to carve in wood

Wooden_carvings_2.sized.jpg

Wooden_decoy_4.sized.jpg

And sculpt in stone..

Soap_stone_Polar_bear_1.sized.jpg

Soap_stone_Walrus_2.sized.jpg

I've written and illustrated outdoor stories for magazines for 50 years, and I'm currently finishing off a book about my adventures. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day to do all the things I enjoy. That is probably why I am better off being single.

I must say I really loved the pic of that beautiful lady..really good stuff.

I must say I really loved the pic of that beautiful lady..really good stuff.

Yes. Very impressive. Those carvings are quite unique. You could make money selling them. You should really do a 'Pattaya man' edition though. :D

Edited by bina
nested quotes getting out of hand

It's really no different than hobbies everywhere else in the world. You cannot expect your environment to entertain you indefinitely, not even Thailand.

Personally I have no long standing great hobbies, but occasionally get 'into' something and then it has my total focus until I master whatever it is, for example gardening, bread baking or some computer thingie. But then after several days, weeks or months I lose interest (having now 'mastered' it. ;) ) and move on to something else.

I started my new hobby 6 years ago when I moved to Thailand.

Kinbaku-bi first came to notice in Japan in the late Edo period. Generally recognized as "father of Kinbaku" is Seiu Ito, who started studying and researching Hojojutsu in 1908 and turned it into an art form. Kinbaku became widely popular in Japan in the 1950s through magazines such as Kitan Club. In the 1960s, Eikechi Osada brought it to the public eye.

I am working on a weight loss workout form of Kinbaku-bi that is having some initial success in certain areas of Thailand.

I'm surprised no-one's suggested drinking and whoring. Wood-carving, you could do back home.

SC

I thought that WAS the idea... something OTHER than whoring. At my age and finacial situation I have to limit myself to 3 or 4 times a week. But, that is still better than 90% of married guys in their 50s back home. I won't say that for Thailand because all the 50 year old married guys in Thailand that I know all have much younger Thai wives.

Considering this is Thailand and all the hypes about girls and shemales, your mention of "moan" would be the cyber or ........ kind? :D

Gym, squash, running, reading and studying, and looking after my kids. In between these activities I manage to find time to moan quite a lot :D .

Planking

A lot of our friends in Pattaya play 'hide-and-seek' with Interpol I believe. RichB says he is a 'runner', but apparently the 'dogs' are after him, so I understand he is leaving soon.

SC

Its certainly a joy to see everyone being so constructive and helpful on this forum, instead of having a go at each other...

I'm surprised no-one's suggested drinking and whoring. Wood-carving, you could do back home.

SC

I thought that WAS the idea... something OTHER than whoring. At my age and finacial situation I have to limit myself to 3 or 4 times a week. But, that is still better than 90% of married guys in their 50s back home. I won't say that for Thailand because all the 50 year old married guys in Thailand that I know all have much younger Thai wives.

Not sure how much you pay your whores but at 2000 a pop you're looking at a whoring budget of close to 30 thou a month so how much would you spent if you're financial situation were better?

Tell that to the massive influx from Bosnia to The Congo and everyone in between in the UK. And they get handouts for it.

Never ONCE seen a 'charity worker' who wasn't British there.

Edited by evanson

SC

Not sure how much you pay your whores but at 2000 a pop you're looking at a whoring budget of close to 30 thou a month so how much would you spent if you're financial situation were better?

I would imagine people that take it seriously can combine great service with good value. I expect Ian benefits from Senior Citizens' discounts as well. For all I know, he might benefit from the rural economy.

Anyway, where I come from, its considered intrusive and in bad taste to talk about money...

SC

As George Best may have said "When I think of all the money I've spent on women and drink, but the rest of it, I just wasted."

No doubt someone else will provide the accurate quote.

Here it is; how difficult was that? “I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted”

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/george_best/

Whether it is a true quote, we can only speculate

SC

I've played golf, I've built and flown RC planes. Right now I'm building and Racing RC boats. Great fun. I've enjoyed walks in the mountains and reading. I've almost finished an MA.

No shortage of things to do. My dad said, only boring people get bored.

You're not far off, except because I have the same 3 regular women I get a much cheaper rate. I budget about 20,000 baht a month for them. They are happy and I am happy. And, I then have enough free time for all my hobbies. I wouldn't be able to do that if I was married with children. You can wine and dine one beautiful woman and get the sex for free, but in the end it is going to cost you more and you'll probably get less sex.

LIke I said, it all depends on what your interests are. Two can live cheaper than one on their own, but you then give up your freedom. At my stage in life, freedom is worth more than anything else. If I am working on an art project, or trying to finish an article, I don't want to be pressured into visiting relatives that I don't particularly like. If I want to go fishing I don't want to be told we are going shopping or to the beach. If I go to the ocean I want to go snorkeling or diving, and that doesn't usually occur close to beaches. If I go hiking I like it to be close to some stream where there is a better chance for photograhs of wildlife. My life works for me but it wouldn't work for everyone.