Ford Focus Or?

Ynwa

Hi to each and everyone of you out there. I'm really new in this forum(despite settling down in LOS for more than a year).

I am looking to get a new car and I am open to any suggestions that you have. To date, I've tested only the Toyota Vios, Honda Civic 1.8 & Ford Focus 2.0 sedan. Personally, my favourite at the moment is the Ford Focus 2.0. Does anyone here own 1 by chance?

Do drop by and give me as many suggestions as possible.

Preference as follows:

My budget will be capped at about 850k(which is the price of the Focus). I'm looking for a smooth ride with adequate safety. A sedan.

Thank you in advance!

Some more info here: `Link deleted`

Link doesnot seem to work, try the search function for `ford focus` in forums. Has been discussed in one way or the other already. Some good postings concerning the Focus.

Edited by Carib

Some more info here: `Link deleted`

Link doesnot seem to work, try the search function for `ford focus` in forums. Has been discussed in one way or the other already. Some good postings concerning the Focus.

Thanks for your reply Carib.

Are there any other cars you would recommend?

Not really, been looking at a ford fiesta recently just to try and give some advice to someone who a kind of fell in love with it.

Found the following links helpful, and I think things like dealership/ after service and stuff like that will apply to the focus too. Just some general but useful info.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/466166-ford-fiesta-vs-mazda-2/page__gopid__4402400#entry4402400

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/432436-mazda2-vs-ford-fiesta-which-one-to-buy/page__hl__mazda2

Here's some more C-Segment sedans around this price point:

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8E - 140HP CVT, 869K

Chevrolette Cruze 1.8LS - 141HP 6AT, 875K

Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.8 GLS-Ltd - 139HP CVT, 879K (E85 compat.)

Honda Civic 1.8S, 140HP 5AT, 839K

Mazda3 1.6 Sprit - 105HP 4AT, 830K

Of these, the Honda and Mazda are both due for complete model changes soon (the Mazda3 2.0L has already had it's update), and the Cruze is due for an E85 engine upgrade - but Chev won't commit to a release shedule..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thanks so much Carib & MoonRiverOasis!

I just tested the Toyota Prius & Toyota Camry today (despite both cars being over my initial budget). I'm not sure if I am being biased because of the price or not, but somehow I feel the Ford Focus is well worth the price(smooth drive, adequate power, spacious, safety aspect should be good enough, fuel consumption not excessive for a 2.0 petrol based on reviews all over the internet) compared to the 2 cars I tried today.

It looks like I've came to a decision. Ford Focus 2.0 it will be! Thanks once again!

I just tested the Toyota Prius & Toyota Camry today (despite both cars being over my initial budget). I'm not sure if I am being biased because of the price or not, but somehow I feel the Ford Focus is well worth the price(smooth drive, adequate power, spacious, safety aspect should be good enough, fuel consumption not excessive for a 2.0 petrol based on reviews all over the internet) compared to the 2 cars I tried today.

It looks like I've came to a decision. Ford Focus 2.0 it will be! Thanks once again!

Well those two cars are a long way over your budget! Did you not try the ford focus tdci? Its over your budget but much better than the petrol 2.0 in fuel economy and performance. Also the new focus should be out sometime soon.

Not a big surprise that you came out of the 1.8L Prius or 2.0L Camry thinking the Ford was a pretty good car for the money, heh ;)

IMHO, best competition for the Focus 2.0L is the Lancer EX, Altis 1.8L and the Cruze 1.8L - though it is a close competition, that's mainly decided by personal tastes.. Ford have some good promotions/packaging on offer, and the Focus is a well respected car outside of Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Didn't have the time to purchase a car yet as I was back in my homeland. Now that I'm back, I'm really having a headache now.

There is totally no news about the new Ford Focus. (Afraid of buying the "old" focus for only a few months only to regret when the new 1 arrives). Gave a call to the Ford hotline and the operator's reply was "there's totally no news of Ford Focus 2012. I haven't even heard of a new Ford Focus being produced." which I believe was total crap. They must be worried of not being able to get rid of current stocks.

2 days back, I went to the Mitsubishi Showroom and also fell in love with the Pajero Sport. I know Ford Focus & the Pajero Sport are 2 totally different cars. But, I really don't know which to go for. I have raised my own budget to about 1.2M.

Any feedback guys? Greatly appreciated.

Didn't have the time to purchase a car yet as I was back in my homeland. Now that I'm back, I'm really having a headache now.

There is totally no news about the new Ford Focus. (Afraid of buying the "old" focus for only a few months only to regret when the new 1 arrives). Gave a call to the Ford hotline and the operator's reply was "there's totally no news of Ford Focus 2012. I haven't even heard of a new Ford Focus being produced." which I believe was total crap. They must be worried of not being able to get rid of current stocks.

2 days back, I went to the Mitsubishi Showroom and also fell in love with the Pajero Sport. I know Ford Focus & the Pajero Sport are 2 totally different cars. But, I really don't know which to go for. I have raised my own budget to about 1.2M.

Any feedback guys? Greatly appreciated.

Pajero Sport 2,5 GT in pearl white at 1.164.000 baht (or 15k less in other color). Discount 30k baht to be spendt on 20 inchers. Free Insurance and tax/reg/plate.

Unbeatable value for money. Faster than Focus petrol. Same running costs, or lower.

There is totally no news about the new Ford Focus

Last I heard the Factory is still being build, completion date was March 2012, if this is still on target then the 1st Focus Thai built to customer is still a year away

Thanks katabeachbum. I agree that the Pajero Sport is really valued for $.

Thanks ignis. That sounds like a long time to wait. I mean the current Focus is good, but when I saw the 2012 Focus online, it changed my perception of the current one to "not as good".

I own a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI since 3 years now, it is the manual. I do love spirited driving and own a Mini GP as well and coming back from the GP to the TDCI is a downer, but not as much as you might think. It has a great midrange punch, which is really great on hill driving. Handling is certainly the strong side of the Focus and there surely lies the big difference to a Pajero sport.

Either you want a sporty driving machine or a big truck which handles the way bigger cars do....If you value fun factor...than I would not go for a Big SUV if you don't need to carry every day 5 people around.

A nice TDCI in white is certainly a car which you won't see as often as a Toyota Altis (although the Altis has better resale value) and give just this little bit of exclusivity.

if you go with a TDCI just add 10,000plus Baht for a ECU box and you will have a nice grin on your face when you push it...My 2 cents worth...B)

Focus is a good driver car, but I'd be concerned about buying the old model with the new one on the way.

But I've seen the new one in US and UK .... and it looks like a Ford Mondeo after a serious rear end collision.

I hire saloon cars on a regular basis and I used to own a Fortuna .... so I've driven most the locally made cars in and out of Bangkok.

If you have long legs, then best to avoid Civic and City. Civic is also a bit noisy.

The Chevrolet Cruze is very good - but go for a higher end model to get the nice interior.

The Altis is also very good .... and if you can overlook the fact that it's used as a taxi, then it's a very comfortable, spacious and reliable car. 1 million taxi drivers can't be wrong. Given a choice of several hire cars for a long journey, I often pick the Altis.

But when you consider that the tax system in Thailand distorts the price structure, and that driving in Thailand is not much fun anyway, and that roads will flood and that one day you will want to carry 7 people, or a cupboard or a bike ..... then a Thai made SUV is (in my opinion) the best bet.

Yes, Pajero Sport is a good deal and good car, but also look at Fortuna. And do you really need four wheel drive? a 2WD SUV is worth a look.

Yes, Pajero Sport is a good deal and good car, but also look at Fortuna. And do you really need four wheel drive? a 2WD SUV is worth a look.

Thai friend looked at the Pajero Sport, but bought the new Nissan 2WD X-Trail, 4 months on loves it

I havent looked cloesly but if the chev cruze is what i think it is.. its basically a vauxhall vectra. if so its a great engine and gearbox and a popular car with hi mileage drivers in the UK.

the ford is also a nice car, drives and handles well.

1 point for you..if you consider diesel engines take this into account: most modern diesels have a turbo which only kicks in around 2500-2800RPM. if you are soft footed as a driver, quite often you will never use the turbo. I write this a, now retired, motor trader and MOT Senior tester. a solution is to drive the car in a low gear for a few miles each week. the alternative is that you will build up an oil and gunk in the turbo. anyone who has MOT'd a focus or mondeo will tell you that 30% of them will fill the whole workshop with black smoke, simply because they dont get "driven" only cruised"

I do however recommend diesel on ford or GM. both excellent. I have the 3L ford truck and its a faultless and amazing vehicle IMHO.

I havent looked cloesly but if the chev cruze is what i think it is.. its basically a vauxhall vectra. if so its a great engine and gearbox and a popular car with hi mileage drivers in the UK.

1 point for you..if you consider diesel engines take this into account: most modern diesels have a turbo which only kicks in around 2500-2800RPM. if you are soft footed as a driver, quite often you will never use the turbo. I write this a, now retired, motor trader and MOT Senior tester. a solution is to drive the car in a low gear for a few miles each week. the alternative is that you will build up an oil and gunk in the turbo. anyone who has MOT'd a focus or mondeo will tell you that 30% of them will fill the whole workshop with black smoke, simply because they dont get "driven" only cruised"

I do however recommend diesel on ford or GM. both excellent. I have the 3L ford truck and its a faultless and amazing vehicle IMHO.

most modern diesels have a small turbo with variable nozzles (vn-turbo) providing max tourque at 2000 rpm or less, IOW turbo kicks in at 1200-1900rpm

Chevy Cruze started as a Daewo Optra replacement, and the 2,0 is a Daewo diesel

and the Ford 3,0 diesel is an Italian VM Motori design, just retired, replaced by new VM Motoris at 2,2 and 3,2 liter

most modern diesels have a small turbo with variable nozzles (vn-turbo) providing max tourque at 2000 rpm or less, IOW turbo kicks in at 1200-1900rpm

and the Ford 3,0 diesel is an Italian VM Motori design, just retired, replaced by new VM Motoris at 2,2 and 3,2 liter

well that reply must have made you feel special :)

the engine in the ford has not been replaced ( encouraging a feeling of defunct) rather it has been superceeded in the NEW SERIES. the 3 litre is an excellent engine

the daewoo is in fact the chevy version of the vectra (uk) which is marketed as vauxhall by GM ( parent company)

the turbos ON FORD doesnt opem up to any extreme until it reaches 2500-2800 rpm. its just the way it works ( practice not theory)

but what do i know, I only started in the motor trade in 1980 and i am sure you have a zillion years of expertise below me :)

what ever rocks your boat :)

tommy

well that reply must have made you feel special :)

the engine in the ford has not been replaced ( encouraging a feeling of defunct) rather it has been superceeded in the NEW SERIES. the 3 litre is an excellent engine

the daewoo is in fact the chevy version of the vectra (uk) which is marketed as vauxhall by GM ( parent company)

the turbos ON FORD doesnt opem up to any extreme until it reaches 2500-2800 rpm. its just the way it works ( practice not theory)

but what do i know, I only started in the motor trade in 1980 and i am sure you have a zillion years of expertise below me :)

what ever rocks your boat :)

tommy

I never thought the Chevrolet Cruze is a copy of the at least 4 years old Vauxhall Vectra, which was by the way a product of Opel Germany.

I thought the new Opel Astra and the Cruze have the same base but what do I know, 1980 I used to drive pushbike to school... :rolleyes: So you must be right then...

Thanks so much for each and every of your replies. It has added on to my "headaches", BUT in a good way that is! I've test driven the Chevy Cruze 1.8 today and it feels ok to me.

I've never been in a situation where I have so many cars to choose from(Cars in my homeland costs a fortune). I do love the feel of the Ford Focus & the Pajero Sport.

I do have to drive my family of 4quite frequently. And I do have clients & friends coming with their families regularly too. That's why I took a look at the Pajero Sport. How I wish I could own 2 cars but I'm very sure one of the 2 would be just an eye candy. Tbh, I have very little knowledge of car specs and the inputs you guys have given are really worth a whole lot to me. My last car before I came over to LOS was the Nissan Latio (known as the Tiida) and it feels like a really big step up to take for cars like the Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze and the Pajero Sport for me.

The sense of excitement is causing me serious hesitation because I'm like "woah this is nice. and i go to another showroom and go woah that is nice". Arggg wish I could make up my dam_n mind. So now, It's only down to 2 cars for me. Ford Focus TDCI or Pajero Sport. Should I wait for the new Ford Focus to arrive(which only Ford knows when it will be out. Super tight lipped about it) or just go ahead with the Pajero Sport? If only someone could make a decision for me. unsure.gif

I must admit that I haven't tried ANY of the cars mentioned here but here is my opinion anyway.B)

If I was you I would go for the Pajero, why? There are so many pick-ups here so you are much better protected in a bigger/taller vehicle than in a sedan in case of an accident. Also your family of total 4 members will like the extra space when going on longer trips.

I have the Pajero on my short list when I change my small Honda City next year.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I must admit that I haven't tried ANY of the cars mentioned here but here is my opinion anyway.B)

If I was you I would go for the Pajero, why? There are so many pick-ups here so you are much better protected in a bigger/taller vehicle than in a sedan in case of an accident. Also your family of total 4 members will like the extra space when going on longer trips.

I have the Pajero on my short list when I change my small Honda City next year.

Thanks! Simple logic, but also a good way to put it. 1 vote for Pajero Sport. haha

I guess easiest is to reply yourself this simple questions:

1) Is your priority: Transportation, space, size or rather fun, enjoyment.

Both are good cars, good diesel engines. Both can easily have 4 adults with luggage in it, but one is more comfortable due to size the other is more sporty and fun.

As I do have a TDCI I would vote for it, as I personally like sporty cars and my kids have never complained when moving them around in it.

I am certain you will be happy with either of them. Question however is, have you actually driven the Focus TDCI or just the normal benzine engine? I would say there is a big difference and you might want to really have some time with the TDCI as it is quite an astonishing little engine.

Cheers,

frank

I have a Focus Ghia and it is a driver's car for sure. It corners like it is on rails. It is fun to drive. That said, I will never buy another car here in Thailand. Just too many high curbs to damage the low slung cars, too many huge potholes and too many flooded roads. Only diesels in my future too. Diesels are minimum of 30 percent more efficient.

I guess easiest is to reply yourself this simple questions:

1) Is your priority: Transportation, space, size or rather fun, enjoyment.

Both are good cars, good diesel engines. Both can easily have 4 adults with luggage in it, but one is more comfortable due to size the other is more sporty and fun.

As I do have a TDCI I would vote for it, as I personally like sporty cars and my kids have never complained when moving them around in it.

I am certain you will be happy with either of them. Question however is, have you actually driven the Focus TDCI or just the normal benzine engine? I would say there is a big difference and you might want to really have some time with the TDCI as it is quite an astonishing little engine.

Cheers,

frank

Thanks Frank. I've tried the Focus TDCI and it does feel even smoother than the benzine. The Focus has an amazingly enormous boot space which really does fit in more than 1 luggage with ease. Both feels really comfortable and I've been cracking my head every single minute that I'm awake. haha. I guess my final decision will be based on the availability of the stocks of the car now. If the difference in the wait is too long, I'll just grab the one that will be ready first.

@kurnell Thanks for your advice. I'm aware of the high resale value the Toyotas and Hondas in Thailand. But I'm actually looking more into comfort and safety. I doubt I'll be changing anytime soon at least for the next 5 years or so? But one will never know. haha. Thanks once again.

@Gaary A Yup. The diesel somehow feels so much smoother. I've never actually driven diesel engine cars until to LOS and did the test drives. The roads, curbs and especially floods were taken into consideration too. That was part of the reason I took a look at the Pajero Sport! I guess you'll be going for an SUV-like vehicle in the near future then?

Whichever of the 2 cars I'm gonna get, I'm sure it will be brilliant. Based on the reviews and inputs of the very knowledgeable people here, I'm already very confident even before owning 1!

I have little interest personally in Oilers, but as one whose has used many of them, if not all on offer here,i recommend the Pajero as the best Engineered Vehicle, and Value. When you drive it there is no instant reminder of " Shit this is a Spived up Truck", like i get with the Sportivo, and Tuna. Not that i dislike Toyo Trucs, great value , in fact i wonder how Isuzu ever sell that Clacking Engine exept to the Deaf. I also cant get along with Korean Mutton dressed as Lamb Captivo/Chev Style.Mitsu don't buy up failures, and con people by sticking their brand on it.:jap: