Passport/surname Question

Dear Oracle,

This is a two part question

I am due to have a daughter in February next year, she will be born here in Thailand. Hus. & I would like our daughter to have both of our surnames as I am the last in line in my family. I didn't change my surname when we got hitched last year.

Is it possible to give a child both the father's and mother's surnames?

i.e Jane Smith Jones

Mother - Smith

Father - Jones

If not I was wondering whether I could get my husband's name added to mine in my passport, which is what I have been meaning to do since we married, ie. Me Smith Jones and then for my daughter to take my official surnames "Smith Jones".

I'm not even going to ask about middle names....! I know if I was having her back home I could call her Magical Super Rainbow Blossoming Lotus Smith Jones if I wanted to but here it's another story.

Thanks

On the assumption that you're British, then the UK authorities will have no problem with your plan, but, sorry I don't know what the Thai powers that be will think.

I'll move the topic to the Thailand residency forum and you may get some more-learned responses there.

Scouse.

As far as I know Thai's normally only have two names, but I do not see why you should not insist on 3.

Whatever is last should be your husband's surname, as I am sure the Thai's will treat

that as the legal surname. It will cause less problems when he/she goes to school.

In the UK you can call youslef anything you like, so the two surnames can

be hyphenated, if you wish.

Good luck

You should have no problem with giving your child three names. My daughter was born just over a year ago, and there was no problem having three names on all her documentation. She has a western first name, Thai middle name, and then my family name.

Just be careful, and make sure you check the documents for correct spelling and such. The hospital where my daughter was born was really good about this, they would not release the official record of birth until my wife and I had both reviewed them to make sure all the information was correct.

What you want to do may confuse the staff a little. They might think you misunderstand their questions when you give your name, and your husbands name for your child. So it may take some work to get around the confusion, Keep patient and I am sure everything will work out fine.

Nothing below is intended to contradict previous posts.

I am assuming your husband is British, but if Thai I think my comments still apply.

Thai children are only registered with two names is the evasive reply by a Phuket Registrar to an identical question.

My "wife" and her card playing cronies insist it is the law. I am not so sure. It is prossibly simply historical precedent. Another thread says then when challenged a registrar was unable to find justification for his refusal to permit 3 names, and relented.

By the way if you and husband are here legally (I am sure you are) your child will be entitled to Thai (as well as British nationality) by virtue of being born here. Whether it has to be applied for I don't know.

Under Thai law where parents are married the fathers name must be the childs last name so changing yours would not help. (I think you would have to return to the UK to do his, anyway).

As TokyoT says if you persevere you should get the 3 names but I suggest it may be harder for you, "Smith" being your surname. Be prepared to argue Smith is also an accepted British given name.

The birth certificate is in Thai but the names can be entered in English (Thais are also entitled to this but I believe they have to give a reason). Make sure they are spelled correctly.

According to British Embassy website they will only register the name exactly as given on the Thai certificate (which has to be translated into English). However my guess is if you ask nicely they may slip in a hyphen between Smith and Jones.

You do not have to register but I think it prudent.

I wish you well.

My wife and i have done this, our 4 year old daughters surname is her mothers and mine, hence been Saffron Keram-Jones, we did not have any problems at all with this, she has a thai passport and a british passport with this name on, good luck.

Well Naomisri,

Now you've been reassured by Thaicoon, lets push Thai bureaucracy a little further.

In February go for it. Magical Super Rainbow Blossoming Lotus Smith Hyphen Jones.

By the way. Jones and Jones? Bit of a coincidence there. Can't be too many of those in Thailand. Nao does you husband spend a lot of time away from home.........?