Woman Doctor Expected To Recover, May Name Attacker

Lite Beer

CAR ACCIDENT VICTIM

Woman doctor expected to recover, may name attacker

By The Nation on Sunday

30158730-01.jpg

Critically injured Army medic now making progress

Police said yesterday they would finish gathering evidence tomorrow in the incident involving an attack by an Army officer against an Army doctor with a Nissan sedan over a parking dispute on June 11.

Major Hathaiphorn Imwitthaya, also known as "Dr Muk", who sustained serious brain injuries, is being treated at Phra Mongkutklao Hospital.

On Tuesday, Colonel Saksit Puklan surrendered to police, saying he was driving the car that left Hathaiphorn critically injured.

Lt-Colonel Chote Suwanjunee, deputy superintendent of Bangkok's Phya Thai police station, which is in charge of the investigation, said investigators were told by Colonel Saksit's daughter and her friend that they would give information and submit DNA samples within this week. As the forensic results, including those from the inspection of the car and security camera footage would come tomorrow, the investigators would hold a meeting to conclude the evidence on the same day.

As Dr Muk's condition was improving, Chote said the truth would come out soon because she would be the one who knew best what really happened that night and if it was Saksit who really hit her, as he claimed in a statement after surrendering to police.

Phra Mongkutklao Army Hospital doctor Peerapol Pokpong yesterday said that Dr Muk was recovering quickly and that she would be breathing without respiratory aid within two days. However, she continued to have fever on and off and her pancreas remained inflamed due to the trauma. Doctors are continuing to give her antibiotics. As for her brain injury, she was now able to open her eyes in response to being called and to hold something in her hand. He added that her brain was much less swollen and the brain pressure was nearly normal.

Meanwhile, many sympathisers of Dr Muk yesterday continued to visit and sign a get-well book for her at the Army hospital as well as giving moral support to her mother, Dr Phannakorn. The mother thanked people, media members and those reportedly praying for her daughter's recovery.

She said that Dr Muk, who had undergone multiple brain surgeries, was recovering and able to hold Phannakorn's hand tight and cry. Saying that justice would punish the culprit, she said she was more worried about her daughter's condition.

Among the visitors were her two former colleagues from Roi Et's Phra Phuttha Yodfa Chulalok Hospital and Lt-Colonel Chote.

Chote briefly talked to Phannakorn before going to talk in private with Dr Muk's cousin Kosalang Wannarospak for one hour. Later, Kosalang told reporters that the police updated him about the case progress and affirmed to the family that there would be no scapegoat in this case.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-26

I wonder at the trigger for the level of rage shown by his actions. Did he think that his rank was sufficient that he shouldn't have to answer a request from a mere mortal, a woman at that ? (I am assuming the Dr was out of uniform at the time.) Did he think that his military mates would cover for his dirty deed? If so, he made a supreme error of judgement in his choice of victim. Colonel to prisoner in one drop is a loooong fall, and the sooner the better.

My cup of schadenfreude overfloweth!

I'm sure the crime will at most be punished with one of those 'transferred to an inactive post' or one of those potential sentences with a disproportionate fine like 'faces a maximum of 5 years and a 1000 baht fine'. Hope this guy gets hard time or some revenge. What is an inactive post anyways- pay without activity???

I wonder at the trigger for the level of rage shown by his actions. Did he think that his rank was sufficient that he shouldn't have to answer a request from a mere mortal, a woman at that ? (I am assuming the Dr was out of uniform at the time.) Did he think that his military mates would cover for his dirty deed? If so, he made a supreme error of judgement in his choice of victim. Colonel to prisoner in one drop is a loooong fall, and the sooner the better.

It all depends on how much he knows. If he is privy to where all the bodies are buried then some twist of "fate" will see him exonerated, or at least acquitted on lack of evidence, especially if the victim has an unexplained turn for the worse and is unable to identify him, whoever him is. It appears she is not in an army hospital. Prayers and wishes for the victim and family.

It all depends on how much he knows. If he is privy to where all the bodies are buried then some twist of "fate" will see him exonerated, or at least acquitted on lack of evidence, especially if the victim has an unexplained turn for the worse and is unable to identify him, whoever him is. It appears she is not in an army hospital. Prayers and wishes for the victim and family.

Mai chai, Army hospital. http://wikimapia.org/1631999/Phramongkutklao-Hospital

I'm sure the crime will at most be punished with one of those 'transferred to an inactive post' or one of those potential sentences with a disproportionate fine like 'faces a maximum of 5 years and a 1000 baht fine'. Hope this guy gets hard time or some revenge. What is an inactive post anyways- pay without activity???

If I'm not mistaken, these disproportionate laws commonly state "5 years imprisonment and/OR a 1,000 Baht fine". As the past has shown, this type of people usually get away with the "OR". Only mere mortals are usually sentenced to "5 years AND 1,000 Baht" or just "5 years imprisonment".

As an added bonus, he will perhaps be transferred to an inactive post, which will leave him with even more free time for a round of golf and/OR another bout of road rage.

I have always wondered about these seemingly senseless penalty combinations that indeed appear so much out of proportion. I mean, where is the relation between 5 years behind bars (in a Thai jail, for that!) and a 1,000 Baht fine? But when you think about it, by cooking up these laws, the relevant parties ensure that they usually receive nothing more than a mere slap on the wrist.

If I were a defense attorney I would claim diminished capacity due to her injuries. That maybe she saw his photos on the news and her identifying him as her attacker was simply a fixation due to media exposure. That the film was too grainy on security camera etc

Do I think the scumbag will get off scot free, yes, it's the way of Thailand. And when he gets off he'll be owned by those above him a puppet on a string as payment for their services.

I have always wondered about these seemingly senseless penalty combinations that indeed appear so much out of proportion. I mean, where is the relation between 5 years behind bars (in a Thai jail, for that!) and a 1,000 Baht fine? But when you think about it, by cooking up these laws, the relevant parties ensure that they usually receive nothing more than a mere slap on the wrist.

A former [Thai] judge told me that in Thailand any laws that go into the books stay there forever. And if I remember correctly the penalty amounts are rarely revised. Hence, a law added to the books many years ago when 1,000 baht was a lot of money would seem outdated 50 years later.

Also explains why some very new laws, for instance failing to have the proper license to sell DVDs etc, have such huge fine amounts.

If I were a defense attorney I would claim diminished capacity due to her injuries. That maybe she saw his photos on the news and her identifying him as her attacker was simply a fixation due to media exposure. That the film was too grainy on security camera etc

Do I think the scumbag will get off scot free, yes, it's the way of Thailand. And when he gets off he'll be owned by those above him a puppet on a string as payment for their services.

Defense team shouldn't have to rely on an ID from the victim. She may not have even seen the car coming, or if she did, it's not easy to see through two panes of curved glass (her car's and his) ....and I think it was after dark when it happened. There should be ample enough other evidence to convict whomever did this cowardly and dastardly act. She had, moments earlier, complained of a car blocking hers - by bringing the jotted down license #, plus there's the damage to the two cars - so the car and owner should be known without a doubt. The big question is 'who was driving the car?' and that should be easy to gauge. There was probably an angry man who exited the restaurant, seen/heard by witnesses - and other clues.

On the other hand, Thais are notorious for being lousy witnesses, as 'saving face' and avoiding retribution from guilty/powerful people is far more important (to them) than upholding any semblance of decency.

Yes, I think because of the driver's military officer status, he will get off with scant more than a slap on the wrist.

And the victim won't be helped by the subjective sway of the courts, and the entrenched ineptitude of Thai investigators.

Latest news: Investigators say it was a man which drove the car which smashed in to the victim - and that's all they know. Great. Nearly one week of Thai investigative work, and all that's all they can put their finger on? There needs to be farang investigators called in on the scene. Won't happen, but Thai investigators are doing their usual standard work, which is inept, to put it as nicely as possible. Sad indeed; the victim was severely injured and nearly killed. Nearly as sad: Thai investigators can't function to gather evidence in order to nail the perpetrator.

Being a Thai Army officer with the rank of Colonel gives you a very large number of "status points" which can be set against any criminal proceedings to lessen any punishment or prevent a guilty verdict. A colonel has a tremendous amount of implied protection.

A former [Thai] judge told me that in Thailand any laws that go into the books stay there forever. And if I remember correctly the penalty amounts are rarely revised. Hence, a law added to the books many years ago when 1,000 baht was a lot of money would seem outdated 50 years later.

Also explains why some very new laws, for instance failing to have the proper license to sell DVDs etc, have such huge fine amounts.

Is the judge Thai now?