I’M Always Looking For Ways To Improve My Practice.

rockyysdt

I'm always looking for ways to improve my practice.

Retreat experience, networking with fellow travelers, forums, insights gleaned from Monks, and through inspiration.

I've learned that high on the list is "daily practice".

On my recent retreat experience a lecturing Monk imparted his knowledge and tips on the practice of meditation.

His source, Ajahn Buddhadasa studied and wrote what he believed the Buddha actually taught regarding the practice of Anapanasati.

This Monk practiced for a number of years without success, but once he included techniques, specifically in the teachings of the first Tetrad of Anapanasati he soon achieved a number of milestones. He indicated that initially it doesn't feel natural to follow the breath all the way in, but with practice this will fall into place.

Specifically:

• Investigate the long breath and how it affects you.
  • Investigate the short breath and how it affects you.
  • Investigate the inner and outer aspect of breath (atmosphere, air entering the lungs VS air entering our bloodstream and sustaining our body).
  • Practice and observe the most comfortable long breathe.

With particular attention to the breathe entering the nostrils & traveling down the windpipes and into the lungs, and

Leaving the lungs, traveling up the windpipe and exhaling out of the nostrils,

With attention to the moment of the ending of the in breath and the beginning of the out breathe.

The keys were to practice your longest comfortable uncontrolled breathe, the following of the breath all the way in and all the way out, with particular attention to the interface between the in and the out breath.

For years the Monk only paid attention to the breath at the nostrils without progress.

His progress came with adoption of the first Tetrad of the Anapanasati technique.

Of course Vipassana is the practice of Mindfulness throughout the day, not just sitting.

The Monk indicated he does most of his practice whilst on walks, but in fact anytime he is conscious, with particular focus on the breath.

He indicated that regular successful practice of long comfortable uncontrolled breathe eventually leads to extremely short natural breath which yields experiences of Piti & Sukha, whilst sitting.

Naturally desire and attachment to such states can make them impossible to repeat and can impede progress through the remaining three Tetrads.

Others teach that focus of the in and out breathes at the nostrils or tip of the nose is sufficient.

Have others had similar or differing experiences?

What breathing techniques do you find yourself using or have learned are effective?

Edited by rockyysdt

Thank you Fred.

Sun Lun Sayadaw U Kavi of Myingyan was a great man and I'm thankful to have access to his meditation method.

There are a number of great tips and insights I can use and incorporate into my practice.

His breathing method comes naturally to me and is easier to master than that taught by Ajahn Buddhadasa.

Put your mindfulness at the tip of your nose and start breathing. Try to

be mindful of the air touching the tip of the nose or upper lip. If

you are mindful, you will be aware of the air touching the tip of

the nose or upper lip. You have to be mindful on that awareness of

touch. If you can be mindful on every present moment of touch,

then you are practising Vipassanâ meditation.

This is my dilemma.

Sun Lun Sayadaw U Kavi's specific breathing technique contradicts Ajahn Buddhada's interpretation of the Buddhas Anapanasati Instruction, in which the breathe is followed all the way into the lungs and out, and with which an experienced Monk gained progress.

Could Sun Lun Sayadaw U Kavi's practice have had greater power for him due to his interaction with the Buddha in a previous life as a Parrot?

Not having had such contact, is it possible that my practice needs to be closer to what the Buddha taught in order to gain progress?

Sun Lun Sayadaw U Kavi must have had some assistance or great merit to achieve Arahantship after four months of diligent mindfulness.

Edited by rockyysdt

We are all uniquely different, because of our past lives and karma. What works for one does not work for all.

Give each new method a good honest test....at least one month of intensive (8 hour plus per day) practice, before dismissing it as not right for you.

Do not think too much about whether we have accumulated enough paramis in the past...this can be a hinderance to practice now.

How can someone have trouble breathing, it's the most natural thing when left to itself? You must be trying, a little too hard or a lot too hard. But....trouble breathing? I mean, I could understand if you had trouble living in a cave for three years or living on one grain of rice a day, but this I don't get. whistling.gif

fabianfred,

Sincere thanks for the link. I, too have been having trouble with my breathing during meditation.

RickThai

Yes, this is the reason renunciation is a central practice in Buddhism. Life would be simpler now, too, if you practice renunciation. It's your choice.

Hmmm I've found it difficult to reach this level of meditative calm since discovering women wine and song. Life was so much simpler back then.....

How can someone have trouble breathing, it's the most natural thing when left to itself? You must be trying, a little too hard or a lot too hard. But....trouble breathing? I mean, I could understand if you had trouble living in a cave for three years or living on one grain of rice a day, but this I don't get.

Obviously you've never suffered from sinus, or nasal congestion ;)

But seriously you are right, if somebody feels they are having trouble with the breath as a meditation object then it's not the breath that's the problem it's the mind. The breath just happens, it's the most natural thing in the world however when we ask the mind to give attention to it then it often tries to force or manipulate it out of it's own expectations.

This is where we start to learn how the mind operates, likes to be in control, and start to let go of this.

Through yoga & chi kung practice I've found that following deep breaths down into my center and carefully watching the transitions between in & out breaths is a very effective way to bring about a state of stillness in the mind. It also is generally refreshing. I'll admit I find pleasure in this kind of meditation and sometimes indulge just for that. But as what I consider more strictly Buddhist practice I am more interested in realizing and understanding the conditioned nature of experience, in which case stillness in & of itself is not necessarily helpful. So my main practice is dynamic vipassana of the Luang Por Teean type, which I personally find more effective for developing subtle awareness of the mind's workings. Of course, I believe that anapanasati meditation can certainly serve the same function if approached properly.

How can someone have trouble breathing, it's the most natural thing when left to itself? You must be trying, a little too hard or a lot too hard. But....trouble breathing? I mean, I could understand if you had trouble living in a cave for three years or living on one grain of rice a day, but this I don't get. whistling.gif

fabianfred,

Sincere thanks for the link. I, too have been having trouble with my breathing during meditation.

RickThai

I can't speak for Rick, but I interpreted his comment to mean his difficulty in his breathing technique not his breathing itself.

Ajahn Buddhadasa studied the Buddhas instructions (as documented in the Pali Canon) and interpreted correct breathing to include following the breath all the way in, noticing the moment between in & out, and then following the breath all the way out.

Many are taught to just notice the breath at the tip of the nose at the point where you can feel the breath.

If you practice Anapanasati as Ajahn Buddhadasa teaches you may experience difficulty mastering it.

A monk of many years indicated that following the breath all the way in and out can initially feel cumbersome and not straight forward to master, but well worth doing.

He personally achieved accelerated experience after years with no progress only focusing at the tip of his nose.

Edited by rockyysdt

Through yoga & chi kung practice I've found that following deep breaths down into my center and carefully watching the transitions between in & out breaths is a very effective way to bring about a state of stillness in the mind. It also is generally refreshing. I'll admit I find pleasure in this kind of meditation and sometimes indulge just for that. But as what I consider more strictly Buddhist practice I am more interested in realizing and understanding the conditioned nature of experience, in which case stillness in & of itself is not necessarily helpful. So my main practice is dynamic vipassana of the Luang Por Teean type, which I personally find more effective for developing subtle awareness of the mind's workings. Of course, I believe that anapanasati meditation can certainly serve the same function if approached properly.

A tip I learned from an Arahant was to practice whilst, sitting, standing, walking & sleeping (lead up to sleep & awakening).

Progress through experience of stillness, if successfully done, allows one to discern the perception of consciousness (self) as illusion, or, as you say, the development of subtle awareness of the mind's workings.

Edited by rockyysdt

Almost every monk you meet has a slightly different method of meditation. I personally follow the meditation technique of Ajahn Brahm. It's kind of a cross between following the breath all the way in and out and focusing on the tip of your nose. He has a book called: Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond. It's been very helpful for me.

fabianfred,

RickThai

I can't speak for Rick, but I interpreted his comment to mean his difficulty in his breathing technique not his breathing itself.

Ajahn Buddhadasa studied the Buddhas instructions (as documented in the Pali Canon) and interpreted correct breathing to include following the breath all the way in, noticing the moment between in & out, and then following the breath all the way out.

Many are taught to just notice the breath at the tip of the nose at the point where you can feel the breath.

If you practice Anapanasati as Ajahn Buddhadasa teaches you may experience difficulty mastering it.

A monk of many years indicated that following the breath all the way in and out can initially feel cumbersome and not straight forward to master, but well worth doing.

He personally achieved accelerated experience after years with no progress only focusing at the tip of his nose.

rockyysdt:

Thank you. I couldn't have replied any better (but stubborness makes me want to try. (smile).

Jawnie:

To belabour what should now be obvious from rockyysdt's post:

You are right that breathing is a natural thing that normally occurs without any thought from the conscious mind. However, both Hindu and Buddhist teachers stress the importance of breathing and position of the spine when it comes to meditation. Correct breathing (for the purpose of meditation) is not necessarily the same as the involuntary breathing that occurs naturally.

With Respect,

RickThai

Almost every monk you meet has a slightly different method of meditation. I personally follow the meditation technique of Ajahn Brahm. It's kind of a cross between following the breath all the way in and out and focusing on the tip of your nose. He has a book called: Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond. It's been very helpful for me.

The technique you've adopted is ideal in terms of what Ajahn Buddhadasa taught.

Have you noticed any difference to your experience before/since you adopted it?