Gprs Fax

Ken

I can connect to the internet via either bluetooth or cable with my laptop. No problem with this and I'm connecting using service from AIS. I have WinFax Pro installed on the laptop. However no matter what I seem to try with the setup, I cannot SEND a fax (don't care at the moment anyway about receiving a fax). I test the "fax" internally with WinFax Pro and it seems correct. And it does appear to dial out to the fax number that I am trying to reach, but after a short period of time I get the response back that "there is no answer".

At any rate, just wondering has anybody done this in Thailand with either AIS or Dtac????

Sending faxes on gsm systems uses a "datacall".

It does not use the gprs network, as this only supplies internet connectivity.

When you dial the fax number and the receiving fax picks up, the gsm network will hear the"screaming" of the receiving fax modem, and automatically switch to "data-mode".

This way you can also dial up to a regular internet provider. (although only at 9.6kbps and 3 baht/minute)

There are some caveats however.

Firstly you have to ask your mobile provider (AIS) to activate the data call service. Unfortunately they will only allow this if you are on a post paid package. If you have one2call you are out of luck!

Secondly, the system relies on detecting data traffic (the screaming of the data/fax modems), so the receing fax machine has to be in fax-mode.

As long as the gsm network does not hear the screaming on the receiving end, it will stay in voice call mode...

If the receiving fax is in automatic mode the gsm network will not switch to data call mode since the fax will wait with screaming until it hears a sending fax itself first...

The gsm network cannot detect, or will not switch to data call mode if it hears a modem/fax on the sending end!

Thanks for that info Monty. Had to read it a few times to "digest" it, but I think I've got the idea of what you are saying now. :o

I do indeed have a "regular" monthly account with AIS (used to use one2call but switched), so from what I think I hear you say is that I need to make a visit to AIS and ask them to "activate" data calls for my number.

Still wondering if anyone "out there" has already done this or is doing this with either AIS or Dtac?

I am actually doing it and it does work :o (on AIS monthly)

You don't have to go see them, just call them on 1175, and get an English speaking operator on the line. They'll have it up and running in a couple of hours...

Ok. Gave a call to AIS. They said that I would need to come to the office (with wife as the number is in her name) and get an additional number from them for FAX (Data call). They said that I then would be able to make FAX calls and they added that it would also work with WinFax Pro (sort of already figured that). They said the charge for this service would be 100 Baht per month.

Thanks again, Monty for the advice and info. Not sure that I will pursue this at the moment as it was more of a "curiosity" thing than something I really have to have. Cheers.

• 1 year later...

i want to do the same

is it working now?

what mobile do you use? what laptop?

how did you find a mobile and a laptop which are compatible?

Nokia keeps telling me that i cannot use my mobile (9300) and that all other models they have cannot do this except maybe 6070

Sony-Ericsson says it cannot be done

Hi Uhuh,

I went through the specs of the 9300, and indeed it does not say anything about fax capabilities.

I guess e-mail is slowly pushing away faxes!

I still have an old Nokia 9000 communicator around, which actually does have fax software built in. Just tried it, and it can perfectly send a fax, but you have to type it out on the phone itself, much like a regular sms message.

I don't think you can use it with a PC and winfax for example.

I've never subscribed for the extra number allowing to receive faxes, so no comments on that one...

I can connect to the internet via either bluetooth or cable with my laptop. No problem with this and I'm connecting using service from AIS. I have WinFax Pro installed on the laptop. However no matter what I seem to try with the setup, I cannot SEND a fax (don't care at the moment anyway about receiving a fax). I test the "fax" internally with WinFax Pro and it seems correct. And it does appear to dial out to the fax number that I am trying to reach, but after a short period of time I get the response back that "there is no answer".

At any rate, just wondering has anybody done this in Thailand with either AIS or Dtac????

Hi,

I don't know about WinFax or sending faxes via GPRS but I do send faxes via by bluetooth phone. Not all phones offer this though, and this feature seems to have been cut from newer Nokias. For example the N73 I just bought - no fax.

On my old Nokia 6600, I would just use the print function in Windows and print to the Nokia 6600 bluetooth fax - the phone then opens a fax connection and out it goes (good idea to do a print preview first).

The only caveat is that you can't receive faxes this way - I tried, but to no avail.

The other caveat is that the N73 does not offer this feature. You can just go to "Bluetooth Places" on Windows (double cick on the Bluetooth symbol in the sys tray) and see what Bluetooth services your phones offer...