Butter

gharknes

Right this might sound like a rather silly question but I have to ask.

Having tried several different brands over here I still cannot find a butter that hasn't got that horible margerine flavour, being from Ireland/UK where our butter is pure butter and is a flavour that is hard to substitute on your toast or spuds, has anyone found a nice dairy butter that tastes like our home stuff from UK/Ireland.....I miss it so much

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back home I used Olivio, as it's spreadable straight from the fridge, and tastes closer to butter than margarine. Over here I use Olivio or Bertolli butter, can be found in Villa or Marketplace around Sukhumvit area. And actually sometimes for a fry up I use President.

:o

Having tried several different brands over here I still cannot find a butter that hasn't got that horible margerine flavour, being from Ireland/UK where our butter is pure butter and is a flavour that is hard to substitute on your toast or spuds, has anyone found a nice dairy butter that tastes like our home stuff from UK/Ireland.....I miss it so much

No offence, but the Kiwi butter beats all others hands down. :o

no offence taken, but I don't agree!!

You can buy French unsalted butter, but it isn't the best from there. President is the maker, and it is good

Still better than any Kiwi stuff, no offence :o

but how much Kiwi butter have you tried?

You should try some other brands from a clean green country that leads the world in Dairy farming inovation. :D

You can buy French unsalted butter, but it isn't the best from there. President is the maker, and it is good

Still better than any Kiwi stuff, no offence :D

I've never understood the attraction of unsalted butter. When at a French restaurant, I always end up salting my butter. :o

Actually my favorite butter in Thailand is Dacheeso's salted butter. Tastes like the butter my Grandmother used to churn. Unless you are in Chiang Mai, you are out of luck.

I've never understood the attraction of unsalted butter.  When at a French restaurant, I always end up salting my butter.  :o

Actually my favorite butter in Thailand is Dacheeso's salted butter.  Tastes like the butter my Grandmother used to churn.  Unless you are in Chiang Mai, you are out of luck.

Unsalted butter always tastes very creamy.

I think it has to be made the old way. salted butter is more suited to factory conditions, so can be cheaper.

I've never understood the attraction of unsalted butter.  When at a French restaurant, I always end up salting my butter.  :o

Actually my favorite butter in Thailand is Dacheeso's salted butter.  Tastes like the butter my Grandmother used to churn.  Unless you are in Chiang Mai, you are out of luck.

I think it has to be made the old way. salted butter is more suited to factory conditions, so can be cheaper.

Isn't this a popular thread, all you people claiming your butter is better than......... well to be honest unless you have tasted others you have no grounds to make your claim, I have no idea how the processes differ but one thing I do know, Irish creamer pure butter is better than anything I have ever tasted and I've travelled a bit, like I said before, other butters seem to have that margerine flavour that just spoils it for me, also these butters seem to have an almost white colour where as butter from home is more of a yellow colour, I'm going to try a little research and see if I can find the difference.

Unsalted butter is better for cooking....dosn't burn without the salt.

Isn't this a popular thread, all you people claiming your butter is better than......... well to be honest unless you have tasted others you have no grounds to make your claim, I have no idea how the processes differ but one thing I do know, Irish creamer pure butter is better than anything I have ever tasted and I've travelled a bit, like I said before, other butters seem to have that margerine flavour that just spoils it for me, also these butters seem to have an almost white colour where as butter from home is more of a yellow colour, I'm going to try a little research and see if I can find the difference.

You just descibed NZ butter :D . Anyway, ours is better 'cause I say so. :D (And yes I have tasted butter from many countries)

Isn't this a popular thread, all you people claiming your butter is better than......... well to be honest unless you have tasted others you have no grounds to make your claim, I have no idea how the processes differ but one thing I do know, Irish creamer pure butter is better than anything I have ever tasted and I've travelled a bit,  like I said before, other butters seem to have that margerine flavour that just spoils it for me, also these butters seem to have an almost white colour where as butter from home is more of a yellow colour, I'm going to try a little research and see if I can find the difference.

I meant that Anchor butter was the best tasting of the butters available in most Thai supermarkets. Not that it tastes better than Irish butter (which I've never had).

I suspect most of us think the butter that tastes most like the butter we were raised on is what tastes the best.

I get the feeling you might be buying unsalted butter.

I love both salted and unsalted depending on what I'm doing with it. (v. Last Tango in Paris)

However I've had no problems with the butter I've bought in Pattaya, and I grew up on Anchor salted which is still one of the top-selling brands in the UK....

By the time I have spread my vegemite on it - can't tell the difference anyway!

:D

Bring on the Vegemite vs Marmite caped crusaders... :o

you are asking for trouble from the little bald fat chinaman jai

I didn't know RDN was chinese... :D

Butter is made from animal fat (particularly milk fat), which is typically solid at room temperatures, hence no need for hydrogenation. While butter and Margarine have similar caloric values, butter generally is much higher than margarine in saturated fat, which is also known to be detrimental to heart health. In addition, margarine contains small amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats (which are generally considered healthier than saturated). Furthermore, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, switching from butter to margarine can greatly reduce blood cholesterol levels.

Margarine is cholesterol free, lower in saturated fats and is increasingly becoming available in trans fat free varieties. Whichever spread you choose, experts say moderation is key. Too much of either is definitely a bad thing.

If you love having some toast on your butter, you'd butter be careful. :o

Butter is made from animal fat (particularly milk fat), which is typically solid at room temperatures, hence no need for hydrogenation. While butter and Margarine have similar caloric values, butter generally is much higher than margarine in saturated fat, which is also known to be detrimental to heart health. In addition, margarine contains small amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats (which are generally considered healthier than saturated). Furthermore, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, switching from butter to margarine can greatly reduce blood cholesterol levels.

Margarine is cholesterol free, lower in saturated fats and is increasingly becoming available in trans fat free varieties. Whichever spread you choose, experts say moderation is key. Too much of either is definitely a bad thing.

If you love having some toast on your butter, you'd butter be careful.  :D

Margarine tastes like poo. :o

Kiwi butter best in the world.

With Vegemite...well it was the trad school lunch in a sandwich in my day.

Hated and bored with it then.

Love nice crusty bread with butter and vegemite now...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Still better than any Kiwi stuff, no offence :o

but how much Kiwi butter have you tried?

You should try some other brands from a clean green country that leads the world in Dairy farming inovation. :D

If you love having some toast on your butter, you'd butter be careful.  :o

Ah <deleted> off, next you'll be telling us that downing ten pints of Guinness, a bag of chips and a fry-up the next morning, is bad for you....

Can't get decent sausages here either. I've got Lyons though - and I'm not sharing :D

Ah <deleted> off, next you'll be telling us that downing ten pints of Guinness, a bag of chips and a fry-up the next morning, is bad for you....

Don't forget the lashings of bacon, the deep fried battered fish, KFC and Maccas.

You'll soon need a jack hammer to open up your arteries. :o

…Irish creamer pure butter is better than anything I have ever tasted

Is it salted?

You expect us to help you find a brand of butter in Thailand that tastes like your “Irish creamer pure butter” but you refuse to tell us whether that favourite butter of yours is salted or not. Why this secrecy?

…Irish creamer pure butter is better than anything I have ever tasted

Is it salted?

You expect us to help you find a brand of butter in Thailand that tastes like your “Irish creamer pure butter” but you refuse to tell us whether that favourite butter of yours is salted or not. Why this secrecy?

I suppose if it is pure it would not have any salt!! :o

I suppose if it is pure it would not have any salt!! :o

I wouldn’t bet on it, not if it were England, anyway, but this being Ireland it may be a different matter. I guess we shall never know.

Google can’t find any butter named “Irish Creamer”. Are we being had?

Best butter in the world is KERRYGOLD IRISH BUTTER. Yum

There’s a business opportunity for you: international marketing of “Kerrygold Irish Butter”, except perhaps that Ireland doesn’t have enough meadows for enough cows to graze to produce enough milk for enough butter to supply the whole world.

Having read about that butter now I am sure that it must be delicious and that if you’ve grown up with it you’ll notice the difference once you move to another country. All the original poster can do – if butter he must have – is taste all available unsalted brands in Thailand (there aren’t many) and then stick with the one he dislikes least.

Margarine tastes like poo. :o

Be careful what you say about margarine…. It covers all sorts of different “butter-like” or “non-butter” substances.

Hard margarine, in particular contains “trans-fats which like the fats in butter are associated with heart diseases, and can contain large amounts of animal fat too and not “cholesterol free”. Though this is not a straight-forward issue as our bodies need/produce cholesterol anyway

The soft type in tubs is made with all sorts of ingredients and is sold on the basis of being healthier….on balance this is usually the case. Even one brand will vary its content from country to country. Flora in Oz has a different make-up from UK.

To say margarine tastes like “poo” would suggest the poster has not tasted many margarines as the tastes vary immensely, or maybe has not tasted “poo”.

I use butter occasionally and marg is the usual, but if you want healthy (and delicious) go with olive oil – Italian extra virgin of course!