Taking £10,000 Through Security

Sorry if this has been asked before but I`m getting married in november and my girlfriends mum has said I can show the sinsod in pound sterling so im not loosing out with Atm fees and various other charges that I might come across if I changed it into thb,so basically im thinking that I might carrry the full lot in my hand luggage but am worried about what might happen when i go through security at manchester and abu dabi,would questions be asked etc etc

I thought of either taking the whole lot or splitting it with my sister who is also coming out afew days later.

thanks Neil.

Basically you must declare how much you have if you are caring over 10,000 Euro or any other currencies or mix of currencies which £10K is, there should be no issue if you can prove you come by it ligitimatly.

Don't suppose the MIL considered your safety, or the security of the cash ?

Did she/you also consider the fact that you are likely to lose 4,440 Baht on the exchange rate differential on cash vs SWIFT ?

Frankly, you could have brought Monopoly money over for this exercise and put 'real' money in the bank later. You will still get the same whooping and hollering when the Bank of Monopoly notes are counted.

Out of interest, how much of the GBP 10,000 are you throwing away on sin sod ?

coming into thailand on monday, on a direct flight from heathrow, thai airways said you only have to declare any monies over 20,000 US dollars, when entering thailand. i know you said you have a stopover though.

coming into thailand on monday, on a direct flight from heathrow, thai airways said you only have to declare any monies over 20,000 US dollars, when entering thailand. i know you said you have a stopover though.

Nelly wrote:

about what might happen when i go through security at manchester and abu dabi,

Problem with undeclared cash is usually at the airport of depature, customs like to assume that is black money.

Abu Dhabi should not be a problem because you don`t enter the country, its just a stop over. Who would you declare to if you don`t pass customs.

To declare in Thailand is not necessary as khunash wrote, limit is 20,000 USD. Declare it in the UK and everything should be fine.

If you like to exchange the money later you may check out your options,

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Today the difference between TT and Cash is around 0.2-0.3 THB per GBP (Superrich compared to Thanachart).

Yes, but the problem could be leaving the UK, or transiting the UAE, not entering Thailand.

If the OP carries in excess of 10,000 Euros out of the UK, and doesn't declare it, it could be seized. Bangkokney has helpfully provided the link to the regulations.

Kasikorn differential is .444 THB.

The 4,440 Baht is perhaps not the most important factor, but if I was in Neil's position I would not want to carry 10,000 in cash.

Edited by cardholder

From what you have said, the money is not staying with the in Laws, it is just for show.

My suggestion would be to pick yourself up 10 nice shiny new £50 notes in UK.

Take them to a printer in Bangkok and get them copied 20 times each.

Take them to the village. have show and tell.

Any dishonest relatives that try to pocket one will get what they deserve if caught.

Do not try to spend them...

When you are ready to leave the village, burn the money.

Tell them you have plenty more back in UK, and cant be bothered carrying it.

i remember back in January i think, i travelled to thailand with about 4000 pounds on me. was just about to board a plane at heathrow and there was a sniffer dog checking out passengers. i have never seen him before, or since. the dog was trained to sniff out money. the dog found my money of course, and i told the police officer how much i had, but it was not a problem.

From what you have said, the money is not staying with the in Laws, it is just for show.

Any dishonest relatives that try to pocket one will get what they deserve if caught.

Good idea :D.

However, I would challenge your first comment - I have seen nowhere that it is JUST for show.

Good idea :D.

However, I would challenge your first comment - I have seen nowhere that it is JUST for show.

I could well be wrong but my take is that the whole ten Grand is for sin sod.

I'd advise against this.

There'll be enough members of the extended family with their hands out, and this will only lead to many more requests for financial help for many years to come.

The cynical side of me would be thinking "this prospective MIL knows a lot about farang financial dealings in Thailand"

The practical side of me would be thinking " I will have to be changing this £10,000 at sometime in the future anyway, so why not get TCs, exchange THEM into, and show Baht at sin sod (:bah:) time. Or even just display the TCs themselves, and exchange at my own convenience?"

Or is that just me?

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

TCs are safer than cash but still need to be declared if over 10k Euro.

Definition of cash

The term 'cash' covers:

notes and coins in any currency

bankers' drafts

cheques of any kind, including travellers' cheques

The cynical side of me would be thinking "this prospective MIL knows a lot about farang financial dealings in Thailand"

The practical side of me would be thinking " I will have to be changing this £10,000 at sometime in the future anyway, so why not get TCs, exchange THEM into, and show Baht at sin sod (:bah:) time. Or even just display the TCs themselves, and exchange at my own convenience?"

Or is that just me?

Penkoprod

My sister is following me a couple of days later so we we split it and take £5000 each,hopefully should be no problems

yes the whole £10,000 is for sinsod just for show in the village and everything is returned,the MIL has no reason to keep it she is a teacher in hadyai and wants us to keep it for our future together.

thanks for the advice guys.

Neil.

since may 2010 (just after the election) any unproved cash over 1k gbp can be seized, in 6 month, after police investigation, the court will make a ruling. You can attend the court session, but you don't have the right to speak.

It applies to borders as well. It's mostly detected by the security, when they find money in the pockets/hand luggage and they will call customs.

if you are taking cash, get 50gbp notes, the older, used ones don't s smell of the printing ink that much. Spread them in the hand/hold luggage and on you (wallet, pockets)

My sister is following me a couple of days later so we we split it and take £5000 each,hopefully should be no problems

yes the whole £10,000 is for sinsod just for show in the village and everything is returned,the MIL has no reason to keep it she is a teacher in hadyai and wants us to keep it for our future together.

thanks for the advice guys.

Neil.

ermm.gif how naive you areblink.gifunsure.gifsad.gif

since may 2010 (just after the election) any unproved cash over 1k gbp can be seized, in 6 month, after police investigation, the court will make a ruling. You can attend the court session, but you don't have the right to speak.

It applies to borders as well. It's mostly detected by the security, when they find money in the pockets/hand luggage and they will call customs.

if you are taking cash, get 50gbp notes, the older, used ones don't s smell of the printing ink that much. Spread them in the hand/hold luggage and on you (wallet, pockets)

Surely that is total misinformation? Where did you get that from? It is £10 000, or at least that is what my various enquiries came up with.

Surely that is total misinformation? Where did you get that from? It is £10 000, or at least that is what my various enquiries came up with.

i just do read news, the officer on the video proofs it.

customs were ready, and had the right, to seize all the money, pending investigation. She did broke the law twice - by bringing 40k without declaring them, and again by taking 17k without declaring. Hence I do suspectc, that the story is made made up, not sure yet for what purpose, maybe just to show "we are the good cops, trust us".

not knowing the law and the bank book from thailand (even, if she had in the bank billion baht) are not excuses.

Edited by londonthai

customs were ready, and had the right, to seize all the money, pending investigation. She did broke the law twice - by bringing 40k without declaring them, and again by taking 17k without declaring. Hence I do suspectc, that the story is made made up, not sure yet for what purpose, maybe just to show "we are the good cops, trust us".

not knowing the law and the bank book from thailand (even, if she had in the bank billion baht) are not excuses.

WHAT exactly are you talking about? I am totally confused.

You are most certaily allowed to take £1000 cash into Thailand without hindrance, and a lot more in fact. It may not quite be £10, 000 as I forget the limit now. Perhaps somebody can enlighten?

You, sir make no sense.

The exact amounts are as follows:

Taking money from the UK: the maximum you can take out without declaring is £9, 035 according to the Thai Consulate, Hull website. It actually says 10, 000 Euros. So the figure maybe should really be £10, 000, which makes more sense.

The maximum you can take OUT of Thailand is £12, 454. Again the Hull Consulate does not put the figure in sterling, but rather gives 20, 000 dollars.

the O/P would appear to be OK on both counts and I am now refreshed with the facts (I usually take c. £5, 000.)

Taking money from the UK: the maximum you can take out without declaring is £9, 035 according to the Thai Consulate, Hull website. It actually says 10, 000 Euros. So the figure maybe should really be £10, 000, which makes more sense.

The Hull Honorary Consul is correct it is €10,000, it’s a common figure throughout The EU.

There isn't a limit, as far as I'm aware, for taking cash out, as you have indicated, if you are taking in excess of €10,000 it needs to be declared and the source proved.

The video seems to imply that this is all a fuss about nothing, so far as UK border is concerned. Just make sure you have proof of the origin of the money and that it's yours and all you will get is a ticking off. On the other hand declaring it is presumably non-onerous.

A real money-launderer or crook is likely to have substantially more than the sums we are talking about.

WHAT exactly are you talking about? I am totally confused.

You are most certaily allowed to take £1000 cash into Thailand without hindrance, and a lot more in fact. It may not quite be £10, 000 as I forget the limit now. Perhaps somebody can enlighten?

You, sir make no sense.

You can take in $20,000 cash (US dollars) into Thailand. It says it on info boards in the airport. Not that 20K US is worth much these days!

Edited by Turboadam