Busted For Not Carrying Passport

britmaveric

Busted for not carrying passport

PATTAYA: -- Korean is mistaken for an illegal immigrant after tip off and taken to the Police Station to be fined 500 Baht for not having an ID on him

On October 12th at 10.00 pm at the Red Ant Restaurant, Police received a tip off that an illegal immigrant was on the premises. They arrived at the restaurant and spoke to the owner of the Korean owned business, Mrs. Tae Yeelee (41), and a relative of hers, Mr. Kim Sung (47).

Officers asked the man to produce his passport, which he explained he didn't have on him, so he was taken to Banglamung Police Station. A short time later Mrs. Yeelee arrived with his passport which was in order, indicating that his status was legal.

However, and this may be of some interest to foreigners, he was fined 500 Baht for not carrying sufficient ID. So although many people are reluctant to carry their passports with them, it is a good idea to get a copy made of it, with your current visa stamps on the back, perhaps miniaturised into a wallet sized laminate, which can be done for 150 Baht at any film processing shop. It could save you time, embarrassment and money.

-Pattaya People

14 Oct 2005

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On October 12th at 10.00 pm at the Red Ant Restaurant, Police received a tip off that an illegal immigrant was on the premises.
The news here uses this "tip off" phrase a lot but what does it really mean? Who tipped them off? Why? Did someone have it out for this guy? An ex-girlfriend perhaps? All these news shows and papers really just report the "news", which is often just a press release of some sort, with no investigation, not even a followup question or 2. Between that and FOX News I'd rather shut off the TV and go play outside.

In the OP, the italicised portion is the opinion of the reporter or editor not an official statement from the government.

Fact is, people just need to cowboy up and carry the damned passport. My immediate circle of friends have more than a hundred years of cumulative time spent in Thailand. Lost and stolen passports in the group: ZERO.

It's not that risky if you take the simple precaution of keeping it in a front pocket and avoid being falling down drunk in public. This will be a challenge for some, I know. For the rest, CARRYING YOUR PASSPORT IS NO BIG DEAL. And for all foreigners it is the simplest way to comply with the law.

In the OP, the italicised portion is the opinion of the reporter or editor not an official statement from the government.

Fact is, people just need to cowboy up and carry the damned passport. My immediate circle of friends have more than a hundred years of cumulative time spent in Thailand. Lost and stolen passports in the group: ZERO.

It's not that risky if you take the simple precaution of keeping it in a front pocket and avoid being falling down drunk in public. This will be a challenge for some, I know. For the rest, CARRYING YOUR PASSPORT IS NO BIG DEAL. And for all foreigners it is the simplest way to comply with the law.

Then again 500bht not much at any rate!!!! :o

Then again 500bht not much at any rate!!!! :D

I concur :o

I have been arrested at a regular roadblock for not carrying acceptable ID (because my girlfriend didn't have her helmet on).

I had my valid Thai drivers license on me (which is a picture ID), as well as a color copy of all relevant pages of my passport.

The explenation of the arresting officer was that anybody with a PC can make up a copy of a passport/visa pages, and that a drivers license does not give any info on visa status.

One and half hours in soi 9, then accompanied to soi 8 (immigration) where they confirmed my legal immigration status with the name on my drivers license on their computer system.

NOT to be accepted by the regular police who absolutely wanted to see the real passport...

Mainly because they wanted to fine me with the offence of not carrying ID. After they accompanied me to my Jomtien residence where I showed them my passport, they accepted to let me go with a 1000 Baht fine for not carrying ID...

This was not in a drunken situation, and my girlfriend, who is university educated, all the while trying to explain in a very Thai polite way, to the officers the futility of their exercise!

So needless to say I do not carry any ID, apart from my drivers license (for insurance, not police), because I refuse to carry the original with all risk of loss/theft, when in the end I'll get fined anyway after hours of hasless anyway...

I know George advocates the carrying of ID's, but I did everything short of having the originals on me, and I got handled the hard way, including fines.

So I might as well carry nothing/zilch, be handled the same way and in the end I still can show my legal papers. And I don't run the risk of losing the lot....

Oh, and I did pay also the 200 Baht fine for my girlfriends not having her helmet on, Som Nam Na , no excuse....

But the 1000 Baht for no ID, I feel ######ed.....

Edited by monty

I've carried my passport for over three years. Never lost it once. Ditto my wallet. What do you guys get up to that creates such a risk of losing your belongings? :o

Me ditto - but I'm talking over 30 years and just as many countries.

I've always thought losing your passport is just like losing your wallet - it's something you only ever do once.

(I'm crossing fingers and touching wood here) Fortunately, neither has ever happened to me, yet.

Are you sure a photo copy will suffice? Can a UK Drivers Licence be proof of ID? If not, i'd sooner risk a 500baht fine, than the hassles that go with losing a Passport, when slightly intoxicated  :D

Pay attention , make copy's of it . Including the stamp

I did pay attention but was asking is a photcopy reallt acceptable to the Police. Now you pay attention and look at Monty's post above. He has confirmed that it is NOT acceptable. :D

I've carried my passport for over three years. Never lost it once. Ditto my wallet. What do you guys get up to that creates such a risk of losing your belongings? :D

I've never actually lost anything but picpockets and drunken states :o anything can happen. don't know if it's worth the hassle trying to get a new one if something does happen.

A laminated copy of one’s passport and copy of current immi stock keeping in/out stamp sounds like a good idea until you realize that if some BIB suddenly and arbitrarily decides to move the goal posts, then it's no longer a good idea!

Nothing is “de facto” here in TH!

The bona fide “perpetrator” caught out without the proper documentation, might wind up doing a stretch in some holding tank - with REAL criminals - until friends, family or with his/her diplos grudgingly dropping in to sort the mess out.

I pack the up-to-date original – always.

If my document gets lost, stolen or whatever, so be it; I know I will have to put up with all the discomforts of jumping trough the various hoops to redress the situation but no IDC for me! Shuffling around in leg irons while perhaps being forcibly “entertained” by some brothers, because of two unacceptable photocopies, is not an option for me at least!

Maybe a tad harsh for a place that claims to be tourist friendly but I don’t make the rules around here and, like it or not, dura lex sed lex and ignorance of the law is no excuse do still apply also here in the LOS (even if discretionally)! :o

Edited by freeinfo

I've lost my passport once...

Ended up doing a trip back to Europe, since my Embassy simply refuses to replace passports unless you are actually living here (means not being registered in Europe anymore)...

The best they could do is give a temporary travel document!

Cost well over 50000 Baht, including airfare...

On top of this, immigration would not honour my multiple entry non-b visa, they would only give a stamp allowing me to stay until I was supposed to stay on my last entry (which unfortunately was my first entry)

I was of the impression they could check this in their computer system, but not so...

Oh, I still don't carry my passport on me, because the worst which can happen is if the BiB don't accept the copy/drivers license, they'll either find out at immigration if you're legal, or they'll accompany you to your residence where you can show the real thing!

You don't end up in the IDC for not carrying your passport, you end up there for being illegal!

Worst is some lost time and a 1000 BAht fine.

Immensely better then the hassle of getting your papers replaced!

Losing my passport isnt the main reason I dont carry it. Like stated above, losing it is akin to losing your wallet, which to this point hasnt happened. My main concern is destroying a document that can be a pain to replace. I've been to Thailand during Songkran (LOVED IT!!). Kept money, cigs, and stuff in zip lock bag, but still got wet. With the heat and humidity in thailand most of the year, short of keeping it in a zip lock, well I'd rather just pay the fine. My passport is dog eared enough from carrying it with me in my other travels.

Just my take. :o

And they all carry their passports with them at all times?

I have been here for more than 7 years, and have never been asked for my passport. And I'd much rather face a small fine sometime in the future, than having to go through the hassle of replacing passport, work permit, visa, etc, etc. The latter is just too expensive and time-consuming.

Police received a tip off that an illegal immigrant was on the premises.

They arrived at the restaurant and spoke to the owner of the Korean owned business, Mrs. Tae Yeelee (41), and a relative of hers, Mr. Kim Sung (47).

Officers asked the man to produce his passport, which he explained he didn't have on him, so he was taken to Banglamung Police Station. A short time later Mrs. Yeelee arrived with his passport which was in order, indicating that his status was legal.

Doesn't that sound a little hokey ?

Mrs Yeelee points out the suspected illegal immigrant, and then a short time later, the same Mrs Yeelee shows up at the police station with the guy's passport ? :o

Police received a tip off that an illegal immigrant was on the premises.

They arrived at the restaurant and spoke to the owner of the Korean owned business, Mrs. Tae Yeelee (41), and a relative of hers, Mr. Kim Sung (47).

Mrs Yeelee points out the suspected illegal immigrant, and then a short time later, the same Mrs Yeelee shows up at the police station with the guy's passport ? :o

It doesn't explicitly state that she grassed him. It also doesn't state what other interactions the cops had with the customers.

sorry but I totally disagree, I for one am very reluctant to caryy my passport anywhere, it stays lock in my safe at home, however I do carry a laminate colour copy, the reason is two fold, 1. it is so much hassle to get replaced including visa etc a 500baht fine is nothing compared to the costs and time to get it replaced...2. they don't wear well and after several months of abuse in a sweaty pocket won't be of any use anyway, now if you happen to be a very organised chap and carry your stuff in a bum bag or the like strapped round your waist then no problem but you'll look like a train spotter.

I have lived in Thailand for over 34 years now, still do a lot of up-country travel etc., and the only time I was ever asked to show I.D. was by an American MP in the early '70's - in a bar on Petchburi Road, then the main haunt of American Servicemen on R & R (I am British so he was politely told to bu99er off).

The only time I carry my Passport in Thailand is if I am flying within the Country or expect to stay in an hotel - other than the ones in Soi 3 of course!

However I guess if you spend a lot of time in bars until late, ride a motorcycle or look disreputable there is a chance that you will be stopped and asked for I.D..

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

And they all carry their passports with them at all times?

I have been here for more than 7 years, and have never been asked for my passport. And I'd much rather face a small fine sometime in the future, than having to go through the hassle of replacing passport, work permit, visa, etc, etc. The latter is just too expensive and time-consuming.

Yes, they carry at all time as far as I know, as do I even to get a bowl of noodles in front of my residence. Well worth it because not only do you risk a fine but also the time wasted in getting matters sorted out.

What if the cops won't let you go back to your residence to get your passport? What if the person with your spare keys is out of town for a week? What if the building manger can't be found?

And does anyone really want their name brought to the attention of the authorities in a negative context?

Too many variables... To comply with the law and act competently is the simplest way to go, if you are capable of acting competently at all, that is.

I'm really sorry to ask but: have you ever been tested for a reading comprehension problem? I know these articles are written by non-native english speakers but they're not that bad.
[The police]arrived at the restaurant and spoke to the owner of the Korean owned business, Mrs. Tae Yeelee (41), and a relative of hers, Mr. Kim Sung (47).

Officers asked the man [Mr. Kim Sung] to produce his passport, which he explained he didn't have on him, so he was taken to Banglamung Police Station. A short time later Mrs. Yeelee arrived with his passport which was in order, indicating that his status was legal.

To the people who do carry their original passport with them - where do you you keep it? I suspect few people would object to carrying passports if they slipped into the wallet. But unless you're the type of person who wears a suit jacket everywhere, there's simply nowhere to carry a passport on your person. You have to carry a briefcase/bag/bum-bag (fanny-bag for Americans), which makes it even easier to pickpocket or lose.

I bet not many Brits/Irish realise that when they go on holiday in Spain (and all other EU countries I think), they are required by law to carry their passport at all times. It's not a Schengen/EU law, it's the national law of any country that has a full ID card system, you are required to carry your official ID card at all times - yes, even while clubbing in Ibiza or lying on the beach. Passports are simply the alternative for foriegners. In practice it would be unheard-of to prosecute, but if you have the wrong colour skin, you could still find yourself arrested for a while.

Unless there's a civil emergency, I'll stick with the bit of paper. Might be time to update it to my current passport though... :o

Edited by The_Other_Mac