Printer / Scanner Combo

PattayaParent

I'm looking for a colour printer with scanning capability for home use, primarily for kids school projects but also house plans and general documents / spreadsheets.

Separate colour inkwells that can be refilled.

A3 capability (printing) an advantage but not essential as space is limited, hence the combo requirement.

Scanner wouldn't be used a great deal so could be put away and brought out as desired if I could get a better printer spec.

I've never bought a printer so have no idea what's what or where to start.

No idea of budget either but I'm much more likely to go for a 5k model than a 20k model :lol:

Thanks

I have used the Canon Pixma MP150 printer/scanner for years now, very easy to use.

The latest model will be in Tesco for I would guess between 2-3k THB

Ink - black 700 THB & colour 950 THB (approx)

No A3 though!!

Canon make a number of models (mine is an inexpensive MP258) and find there software excellent. I do not refill ink as it lasts me quite a while and Canon combo pak is about 1,200 baht from Office supply stores. If you print a lot then the external tanks would make sense.

We had 2 Epsoms that clogged up quickly but now Have the Canon Pixma

We have inktanks cost about 3K for the printer with the inkanks we have printed hundreds and hundreds of pages and photos with the ink before replacing recently. 100 Baht a bottle (400 Baht total)

Cheapest printer I've ever used. Don't look at Ebay in Thailand go to one of your nearest Tukcoms and buy there with the Ink Tanks already added.

I went to a local computer shop, bought the Canon 287 with the ink tanks on the side, excellent printer/scanner and the ink is only 70 baht !!!! per bottle, the whole set-up was 2600baht with full tanks and 1 yr guarantee.

Edited by CharlieH

Epson has a printer/copier/scanner wich comes from the factory with refillable ink-tanks, the L200. Cost is around 6,000 baht. Don't know if it is any good, but should be better than the external ink-tanks that are later installed. (The L100 is without copier/scanner and costs around 5,000 baht)

As has been said, the MP 256 and 287series from Canon are good.

If you want external tanks, they are not too good for heavy use where you print a lot at once (more than 20 or 30). You have to wait 10 minutes after so many pages, for the ink to refill. But excellent for not too much pages per hour.

I went to a local computer shop, bought the Canon 287 with the ink tanks on the side, excellent printer/scanner and the ink is only 70 baht !!!! per bottle, the whole set-up was 2600baht with full tanks and 1 yr guarantee.

I would go that route also. Lots of them in Tukcom.

When the thing breaks down or needs new heads, just bin it and buy another complete printer and tank system.

Manufacturers' ink cartridges are just too expensive for words.

The only other option I would consider is a laser printer, but only for someone who does very little printing indeed. The advantage being that the ink doesnt dry up on a laser machine. I owned a Canon laser printer for over 8 years and never emptied the first toner cartridge!

We have inktanks cost about 3K for the printer with the inkanks we have printed hundreds and hundreds of pages and photos with the ink before replacing recently. 100 Baht a bottle (400 Baht total)

Cheapest printer I've ever used. Don't look at Ebay in Thailand go to one of your nearest Tukcoms and buy there with the Ink Tanks already added.

What Epsons were they?

I saw the Epson ME 340 yesterday and it looks like the one I will go for with individual ink cartridges inside the machine rather than piggybacking on it like the Canon.

What Epsons were they?

I saw the Epson ME 340 yesterday and it looks like the one I will go for with individual ink cartridges inside the machine rather than piggybacking on it like the Canon.

I have the Canon MX416 with external ink tanks to save on the cost of the internal cartridges. The Canon MX416 is wi-fi,photocopier,scanner and fax. Had HP before but l am very happy with the Canon and it cost about 3500 baht with the ink tanks

I had Epson printers where the heads were seperate from the ink cartridge.

The heads clogged and cost B15,000 for replacements.

Never again will I buy Epson.

Mind you, great printer while it worked.

I had Epson printers where the heads were seperate from the ink cartridge.

The heads clogged and cost B15,000 for replacements.

Never again will I buy Epson.

Mind you, great printer while it worked.

How much was the printer??????

The one I saw was only 2,400 baht!!

Cheaper to buy a new one than have it repaired at that price.

My Canon worked great until I tried a refill kit. I had a print head fault the second time I used it after the refill. I took it to the shop and replacing the print head cost 2,500 baht.

Rather than doing that and having a used printer, I paid the 2,500 baht for an all in one HP F 4280. The performance printing, scanning and print copy have been flawless. It is now more than two years old. If/when it dies, I will buy another HP all in one.

Ink heads are expensive and if I needed a printer for everyday heavy usage, I'd look for another solution. Light usage and maybe once a week use, I'll stay with the cheaper route. I use the scanner to make copies for sending via the Internet. That of course, needs no ink.

My Canon worked great until I tried a refill kit. I had a print head fault the second time I used it after the refill. I took it to the shop and replacing the print head cost 2,500 baht.

Rather than doing that and having a used printer, I paid the 2,500 baht for an all in one HP F 4280. The performance printing, scanning and print copy have been flawless. It is now more than two years old. If/when it dies, I will buy another HP all in one.

Ink heads are expensive and if I needed a printer for everyday heavy usage, I'd look for another solution. Light usage and maybe once a week use, I'll stay with the cheaper route. I use the scanner to make copies for sending via the Internet. That of course, needs no ink.

WOW, had many problems with HP years ago, bought a Panasonic best machine ever, it was years old so left it in the UK [my error].. last year needed a Fax so bought a all in one and yes newest model HP, it is now 14 months old [sort of] HP Service Center sent it away twice for repair in 6 weeks, the last time they replaced it with a new one, since then been away 3 more times for repair, about 3 months ago the scan feature stopped working, followed by no dial tone on the phone, now since Monday it keeps switching itself off...

I do have a 6 tank canon printer = VERY good, I have a very old flatbed canon scanner, could not use as there was no drivers for Vista and when I went to Win 7 also no drivers, now a few months ago they have the drivers to download so use the canon scanner it works perfectly + is 11 years old.

• 8 years later...
20 hours ago, LeeWhite2019 said:

I have been using a 3D printer model of "RICOH" Ricoh Printer Offline for a much longer time with amazing performance. It's working offline and it's a multifunctional printer where you can print and scan both. I never got any issue and I would like to suggest everyone who is looking for a good printer for office or home purpose can buy this one.

Would be nice if you posted the exact model number you have.

A long time ago I bought a combo scanner printer once - Canon.

I then took it to Panthip to have ink tanks fitted, The guy advised me that the canon cartridges weren’t so good for the aftermarket tanks, they only have a certain life, in reality they are designed as disposable not refillable and that brother were better.

At the time I was doing a lot of prints for my kids, and he was right the cartridges failed. There was also an issue, because the cartridges had these Ink level sensors they would need resetting from time to time, eventually, that reset procedure failed and because of this, the scanner wouldn’t work. There were times when the bottles would run out and I would need to don plastic gloves and fill the tanks with a syringe, the ink overflows the tanks if you are heavy handed.

I guess others have different experiences, but after that one combo printer I just bought the cheapest printer I could and a separate scanner. 

My next printer will be a wireless laser printer, for the odd I only print sheet for immigration.