Home Theater

dthomasss

I am looking to buy speaker setup to go with LCD tv and dvd. I dont need state of the art but want better than the tinny tv speakers.

Power Buy website shows a few Phillips and Sonys from 5,000 to 7,000 but went to both locations (Central and Home Works) and they only had top end stuff, or the cheap gigantic crap like AJ. Same at Big C and Tesco. Carrefour used to have a few but now that they are Big C Extra they also have the same junk.

Any suggestions in Pattaya?

I'd check out what they have at Numchai on Sukhumvit, east side between Pattaya Nua and Pattaya Klang.

Also on the east side of Duck Square, facing Big C. Is a smaller electronics shop, that sell mid to high end home theatre equipment.

Can't remember the name, as it's been a while since I've been in the shop. But if it's still around you can't miss it.

I'd check out what they have at Numchai on Sukhumvit, east side between Pattaya Nua and Pattaya Klang.

Also on the east side of Duck Square, facing Big C. Is a smaller electronics shop, that sell mid to high end home theatre equipment.

Can't remember the name, as it's been a while since I've been in the shop. But if it's still around you can't miss it.

Mahajak (spelling?) use to be in Duck Square. I think they are now in their new building on Suk. Maybe somebody can confirm that?

Numchai is a good place to look for sure. But 5-7k Baht is not going to buy a very nice system.

Mahajak (spelling?) use to be in Duck Square. I think they are now in their new building on Suk. Maybe somebody can confirm that?

Numchai is a good place to look for sure. But 5-7k Baht is not going to buy a very nice system.

Thanks. I am willing to pay more but I dont want those giant cabinets and tower size speakers the Thais seem to love. Also has to be something I can run the TV through.

Yes, they are on Sukh. Bangkok bound just before Big C. Went there yesterday 13.00 prepared to buy either their high end Denon/JBL setup or any alternative they could offer.

We ended up leaving after 15 minutes. They have almost nothing setup to let you listen to their systems. Choice messy and limited. None of the sales staff, eating...eating..eating...in the room next door, made a move to come and help or ask what we wanted, but a 0 brain "security guard/" who actually started up a couple of units and kept repeating: "Vely good, plomotion, vely good, plomotion".

Very disapointed. Ended up in Power Buy* where there one friendly sales-guy with good E and some knowledge. TIT. :wub:

I saw a really nice looking system today at Makro. Panasonic for 4k Baht. Saw a nice Sony for 11k at Tesco S. Pattaya.

Can I connect my TV and run the sound through those? I saw the one at Makro but it was just a DVD player with speakers. Doesn't there need to be something to power them, like a receiver/amp?

I saw a really nice looking system today at Makro. Panasonic for 4k Baht. Saw a nice Sony for 11k at Tesco S. Pattaya.

Can I connect my TV and run the sound through those? I saw the one at Makro but it was just a DVD player with speakers. Doesn't there need to be something to power them, like a receiver/amp?

Hmmmm...good question. I had a really inexpensive setup a few years ago that I was able to connect with my TV via the TV's audio out capability and the input jacks on the "stereo". So...would have to check if that system at Makro would have that????? Most of the cheaper "stereo" systems here in Thailand are of the DVD player with speakers variety. Move up from that and the price increases dramatically. If you are on a trip to HK or Singapore, might be better off looking there. Much cheaper.

We might be better off with this in the HiFi forum as you pretty much know all the (limited) places to buy here in Pattaya.

Let me know if you want to move this topic over there. Quite a few very knowledgeable folks watch that forum.

Craig

Hmmmm...good question. I had a really inexpensive setup a few years ago that I was able to connect with my TV via the TV's audio out capability and the input jacks on the "stereo". So...would have to check if that system at Makro would have that????? Most of the cheaper "stereo" systems here in Thailand are of the DVD player with speakers variety. Move up from that and the price increases dramatically. If you are on a trip to HK or Singapore, might be better off looking there. Much cheaper.

We might be better off with this in the HiFi forum as you pretty much know all the (limited) places to buy here in Pattaya.

Let me know if you want to move this topic over there. Quite a few very knowledgeable folks watch that forum.

Craig

Yes please let's try it over there...