Thailand Is A Regional Hub For Human Misery

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thailand is a regional hub for human misery

By The Nation

The authorities must do more to stop human trafficking and the mistreatment of labourers in fishing and other low-paid industries

Thailand is the regional hub for human trafficking. It is a source and transit venue because of its central location in continental Southeast Asia and because it is surrounded by neighbouring countries with a lower level of economic development. For decades, migrant workers from these countries have risked their lives to get to Thailand in search of better living conditions and wages. However, of late, the human trafficking problem in this part of the world has changed. We are now seeing forced labour being smuggled in from countries as far away as Fiji and Uzbekistan.

The worst aspects of modern human trafficking can be found in the Thai fishing fleet, where conditions can easily be described as modern slavery. Thai trawler-owners are generally inhumane and should be put on trial for the illegal practices they regularly get away with.

The US State Department recently issued a report on the state of global human trafficking, and it still lists Thailand in the tier two category along with many other countries in the region including Afghanistan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia and China. The category also includes Argentina, Zambia and Russia.

But this year's report also gave a fair assessment of Thailand's effort in preventing human trafficking and protecting migrant workers. The report detailed the country's legislation and the performance of governmental offices. Two of the biggest problems remain issues related to corruption and weak law enforcement. As such, it is not surprising that those behind human smuggling from Burma, Cambodia and Laos, and the transit of human cargoes to foreign destinations near and far, continue to get away with their crimes over and over again. They must be punished and jailed.

The Abhisit government has been trying hard to cope with this issue as part of its overall stated policy of respect for human rights and human dignity. But somehow the concerned authorities are not cooperating. For instance, the inhumane treatment of Burmese and Cambodian workers employed in the Thai fishing industry, as detailed by the US report, should be thoroughly investigated by Thai authorities. These are serious crimes that tarnish Thailand's image. Quite often we hear stories of how workers on fishing vessels are thrown into the sea or left to die of hunger locked inside trawlers, where nobody can find them. Thai trawler operators who engage in such heinous treatment of foreign migrant labourers must be prosecuted without leniency because they have knowingly killed many helpless workers. Some of these owners are well-known personalities.

It is time that Thailand properly registered foreign workers, especially from neighbouring countries, in order to prevent them being exploited by ruthless employers. Past registration schemes have been full of errors because of official procedures that have led to corruption and collusion among prospective employers and officials. The government has to be mindful of this malpractice because in the future the number of migrant labourers in Thailand is bound to increase dramatically, especially with the ongoing process of Asean economic integration.

Thailand must learn the lessons from the past that any inhumane treatment of migrant labourers will eventually affect Thai society as a whole. In the 1990s we mistreated thousands of refugees who, as a result have never shown any appreciation for Thailand's other more humanitarian face. The same sentiment will prevail among itinerant labourers who work here like slaves for the benefit of the wider Thai economy.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-01

"Some of these owners are well-known personalities.":ph34r:

There's the problem, as usual these parasites continue to exploit the poor with little chance of any legal proceedings against them.

Operating with impunity.

Oh yes, yet another hub.:unsure:

"Hub of Misery" ?

Hub of Entertainment,

Phuket is AirAsia Thai hub ,

Health Tourism Hub of Asia,

Medical Hub of Asia,

Hub of organic produce,

Hub of creative and healthy food

Corruption Hub Of Asia

economic hub of ASEAN

Creativity Hub

Regional aviation hub

Transport Hub

Logistics Hub

Automotive hub

'Halal hub'

The Hub of Bridge - Phuket

Hub for counterfeit goods

Investment Hub

Education Hub...

Auto Export Hub

BIOPLASTICS HUB

Hub of thinking up hubs

Edited by bonobo

Thailand has no shortage of deep-seated problems, with some problems being of the most evil kind such as human trafficking. But never fear, the current govt did everything possible to fix the problem and the politicians vying to be the next govt promise to fix all problems---yea, right!!!

OK, I'm standing by to see what "Hub" status is awarded Thailand for next week.

Yes for sure the way some rice thai people behave thailand is 3 world country and a hub of misery, but then again, would all the people who comes here be better of in there own country, i am not sure any longer.

3 weeks ago my GF got a call that her 13 years old brother was on hes way to BKK, they are from Cambodia, i asked why is he going to BKK, even i know the answer. He was going to work in a factory. As we farang see it this boy had to go to school, but the boy did not want to go to school.

I use to have a job from i was around 10 years old, but it was after school hours or in the weekend, and not in a factory. But would he be better of staying in cambodia, working in a factory there, here he get paid 180 bath a day + OT, not bad i know thai people who get paid less.

But what is the right answer here, what is right and what is wrong, i just dont know the answer to this no more, i did when i came 6 years a go, but i learned alot after.

Nothing will be done till Thailand is able to elect a government and it can stay in office and not be thrown out of office by civil disobedience or riots and killings.

I am not sure who is the good guy, no one probably, but all who are running to be the big boss have money and power. Now they are fighting to have more money and more power.

In the meantine, I will continue to stay in Thailand and have a good time and keep my nose out of where it does not belong

Fighting real human trafficking is all well and good. But many things are being lumped under the human trafficking umbrella. In the Philippines, where they are now celebrating being "upgraded" on the US' human trafficking list to a better category, they just arrested an Australian who owned three or four bars in Angeles and "liberated" 300 women from human trafficking. A few months ago, they arrested a Danish man and his Filipina staff for running a cam studio and "liberated" the men and women performers.

The papers interviewed some of the performers, and all said they were there voluntarily as they couldn't get another job and this way they could support their families. THey could also leave any time, and I would imagine that the now out-of-work bargirls in Angeles would say pretty much the same thing if interviewed.

Whether a person has a moral problem with bargirls/barboys or cam performers or not, if a person voluntarily takes a job as one, if they can leave anytime they want, then this is not human trafficking.

I think this picking the low-hanging fruit to show you are fighting human trafficking (mostly so you can get your foreign aid renewed) is simply theater and takes away from the real problem of human trafficking and slavery.

"Thai trawler-owners are generally inhumane"

I could think about few other groups of people that could be added to that: most of Thai business owners, bar owners, jet-ski operators, taxi bosses, builders, lawyers, police, local government officials ... the list goes on. And if someone intends to dispute that try to get a humane treatment by any mentioned above.

Yes one man's "economic migrant" is another's "exploited trafficking victim". The whole concept of exploitation is fraught with subjective interpretation.

Let's say I'm a wealthy Thai, and I offer a poverty-stricken family suffering in North Korea or Burma (just examples) room and board (let's assume a decent room, stocked with a TV and DVDs in their native language) for ten years in exchange for say a ten-hour day of light housework and childcare, nothing physically strenuous.

I require a ten-year contract - and remember no cash, only room and board and the occasional tip when I felt like it. But no dishonesty, everything above-board.

And let's say the desperately poor folks jump at the chance for safety and a guaranteed full belly, they're genuinely grateful for the opportunity to improve their lives.

Yes I'm benefiting from the results of their repressive regime, but in my human relationship with these people, am I "exploiting" them?

I think it's a genuinely interesting ethics question?

Now of course the legal issues are completely separate - I'm sure the wealthy Thai wouldn't have any issues here, but if a foreigner were caught, yes they'd probably be done for trafficking, even though there was no deception or coercion involved.

Just like the drug enforcement laws get warped by the financial incentives for police to confiscate property back in the US. . .

Yes one man's "economic migrant" is another's "exploited trafficking victim". The whole concept of exploitation is fraught with subjective interpretation.

Let's say I'm a wealthy Thai, and I offer a poverty-stricken family suffering in North Korea or Burma (just examples) room and board (let's assume a decent room, stocked with a TV and DVDs in their native language) for ten years in exchange for say a ten-hour day of light housework and childcare, nothing physically strenuous.

I require a ten-year contract - and remember no cash, only room and board and the occasional tip when I felt like it. But no dishonesty, everything above-board.

And let's say the desperately poor folks jump at the chance for safety and a guaranteed full belly, they're genuinely grateful for the opportunity to improve their lives.

Yes I'm benefiting from the results of their repressive regime, but in my human relationship with these people, am I "exploiting" them?

Now of course the legal issues are completely separate - I'm sure the wealthy Thai wouldn't have any issues here, but if a foreigner were caught, yes they'd probably be done for trafficking, even though there was no deception or coercion involved.

Just like the drug enforcement laws get warped by the financial incentives for police to confiscate property back in the US. . .

So basically you're comparing a very corrupt regime with a less corrupted regime, right? I mean, by all means, a bad one is better than a very bad one, but still...

Thailand has no shortage of deep-seated problems, with some problems being of the most evil kind such as human trafficking. But never fear, the current govt did everything possible to fix the problem and the politicians vying to be the next govt promise to fix all problems---yea, right!!!

OK, I'm standing by to see what "Hub" status is awarded Thailand for next week.

Coup's

"Some of these owners are well-known personalities.":ph34r:

There's the problem, as usual these parasites continue to exploit the poor with little chance of any legal proceedings against them.

Operating with impunity.

Oh yes, yet another hub.:unsure:

"Hub of Misery" ?

Hub of Entertainment,

Phuket is AirAsia Thai hub ,

Health Tourism Hub of Asia,

Medical Hub of Asia,

Hub of organic produce,

Hub of creative and healthy food

Corruption Hub Of Asia

economic hub of ASEAN

Creativity Hub

Regional aviation hub

Transport Hub

Logistics Hub

Automotive hub

'Halal hub'

The Hub of Bridge - Phuket

Hub for counterfeit goods

Investment Hub

Education Hub...

Auto Export Hub

BIOPLASTICS HUB

Hub of thinking up hubs

Hubub. :D

An economic migrant is someone who goes to the United States to work in poor and underpaid conditions, a trafficking victim is when someone goes to work in a country with lower wages that can undercut US industry. ;)

It's primarily a political tool that is being used to apply tariffs in order to protect US industry. The United States is by far the largest trafficking destination in the world. Huge numbers of people every year pay their life savings or go in to debt in order to pay trafficking gangs to smuggle them in to the United States where they work in poor conditions and are subject to exploitation and possible enslavement. Few politicians are willing to get serious about illegal immigrants because so many American businesses, especially agriculture, rely on these people in order to survive, and those politicians that do confront it are attacked as racist.

"hub of misery" is a very misleading title and casts a negative light on Thailand. Alot of human trafficking involves non-coerced people trying to better their lives and some actually achieve it. It happens in alot of countries so I don't think Thailand deserves the title of "hub".

"hub of trafficking" is a better title but less sensational I guess, why don't we call it "hub of hope"??

but thais love to have a cheap slave labour in their house to do everything for them for almost nothing per month

There is credible historic evidence that past Siam did indeed have slavery. People owning other people. Google it.

More hubs than a 16 wheeler ! :annoyed: - get a thesaurus!

It is a source and transit venue because of its central location in continental Southeast Asia and because it is surrounded by neighbouring countries with a lower level of economic development.

And because of the fact that we farlang bring a lot of money in. What would this country look like without it? :jap:

but thais love to have a cheap slave labour in their house to do everything for them for almost nothing per month

There is credible historic evidence that past Siam did indeed have slavery. People owning other people. Google it.

How many countries had slaves, mostly from the black continent. Google it. :jap:

Uhm, which country didn't have slavery?

Including so called "Black African" countries.

Please name these model states.

Edited by SAffer

So where did your hypothetical money come from? :whistling:

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

I may be wrong but I understand it that Rama V ended slavery.