Walen School - Complaint

MacWalen

I took a peek at the website of the school in question and there is not one single qualification published about the owner or the teachers. It looks like a fly by night operation.

Interesting read:

"It has also come to the notice of the Education Department that a lot of schools are using teachers to teach Thai who are not educated to Degree standard and they have warned this must stop".

Pol. Capt. Samruai Sa-Mann from Chonburi Immigration police then told all the schools that five foreign nationals are now working undercover on behalf of immigration trying to buy the visa from schools without attending classes.

Read more at: http://www.thaivisa....wn-on-ed-visas/

Edited by uptheos

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I train them how to do it properly. Also we train them how to teach during interviews so straight away I can pick only those candidates who demonstrate early ability to teach our method the way we want. We really care very little if 'some experts' agree with the way we do it. It is good enough for us that the Ministry of Education agrees and registered our way of teaching and that our students make amazing progress (if they actually try to learn as it will not happen by itself). The best way to judge teaching is by results.

No need to see their resumes, I have a better offer for you, come to a class and see how well you do. We do not follow common practice, we sell on how different we are not how similar we are.

It would seem that Walen do have a legal responsibility to employ only Thai teacher's that have a degree.

How do you manage that without seeing a resume and the original degree?

I train them how to do it properly. Also we train them how to teach during interviews so straight away I can pick only those candidates who demonstrate early ability to teach our method the way we want. We really care very little if 'some experts' agree with the way we do it. It is good enough for us that the Ministry of Education agrees and registered our way of teaching and that our students make amazing progress (if they actually try to learn as it will not happen by itself). The best way to judge teaching is by results.

No need to see their resumes, I have a better offer for you, come to a class and see how well you do. We do not follow common practice, we sell on how different we are not how similar we are.

It would seem that Walen do have a legal responsibility to employ only Thai teacher's that have a degree.

How do you manage that without seeing a resume and the original degree?

Of course I have seen their degrees and resumes. For students however it is not necessary to see their degrees, they can judge by the results they produce, talk to students etc. All are also quite fluent or very fluent in English. Just to satisfy those who are so inquisitive, all of my teachers in Chiangmai have university degrees.

Also my manager, Cindy, she must be one of the smartest ladies in the city. Excellent manager as well as a great Thai teacher.

Pol. Capt. Samruai Sa-Mann from Chonburi Immigration police then told all the schools that five foreign nationals are now working undercover on behalf of immigration trying to buy the visa from schools without attending classes.

Read more at: http://www.thaivisa....wn-on-ed-visas/

Let me correct that for you>

Pol. Capt. Samruai Sa-Mann from Chonburi Immigration police then told all the schools that five foreign nationals RATS are now working undercover on behalf of immigration trying to buy the visa from schools without attending classes.

In Chiangmai it happened already, when the Ministry of Education came to audit CMU Thai language center they did not detect any students so their license was cancelled. It was in effect a visa mill and many got burned. Those 'schools' with one classroom and selling ED visas for a discount price may not be around much longer.

In case of Walen even if the visa situation changed (if it does it will be because of some individuals who abuse the system and make a joke of the requirements, I'm sure quite a few now hate the guy) we could still deliver on our promise to provide lessons students paid for as we are not in the ED visa business but in teaching languages.

Walen School - you can rely on us

In Chiangmai it happened already, when the Ministry of Education came to audit CMU Thai language center they did not detect any students so their license was cancelled. It was in effect a visa mill and many got burned. Those 'schools' with one classroom and selling ED visas for a discount price may not be around much longer.

In case of Walen even if the visa situation changed (if it does it will be because of some individuals who abuse the system and make a joke of the requirements, I'm sure quite a few now hate the guy) we could still deliver on our promise to provide lessons students paid for as we are not in the ED visa business but in teaching languages.

Walen School - you can rely on us

Well said but you must weed out the abusers yourself to retain you business name. If ''students'' do not attend classes then show them the door. :)

Around the end of 08, I went to the Pattaya school opposite what was then Carreforre.

I went inside made an inquiry. Got severe attitude from some Russian chick, walked out

went to the school on the other side of Pattaya Klang and after 2 yrs have not looked back.

So thanks Walen for guiding me in the right direction.

Around the end of 08, I went to the Pattaya school opposite what was then Carreforre.

I went inside made an inquiry. Got severe attitude from some Russian chick, walked out

went to the school on the other side of Pattaya Klang and after 2 yrs have not looked back.

Interesting post. Russian, hmmmmmmmmmmmm, get in everywhere it seems. ;)

Of course I have seen their degrees and resumes. For students however it is not necessary to see their degrees, they can judge by the results they produce, talk to students etc.

Do you mean like patients, it's not necessary to see the qualifications of the practitioner....just have faith?

I know that degrees do not necessarily indicate intelligence or ability in a particular job.

This recent statement by the ministry, does it refer to degrees directly related to teaching or can it be a degree in absolutely anything?

Walen added me as a friend. I deleted the friendship.

Walen added me again as a friend. I deleted the friendship again.

Will this be a long and boring story?

For the sake of his students, I hope that Walen's schooladministration is in a better shape than his marketing.

But of course, you can study russian at that school, get an ED visa for that, and not risk that immigration will ever test your progress.

Walen, we spam.

I'm sorry to hear it, of course our staff should be friendly. I cannot change it now. Normally our staff is very friendly but seems not in this particular instance.

For the sake of his students, I hope that Walen's schooladministration is in a better shape than his marketing.

But of course, you can study russian at that school, get an ED visa for that, and not risk that immigration will ever test your progress.

Walen, we spam.

I sent you a friend request, perhaps it was twice. If this bothers you so much just block and delete me. Simple solution. It was not meant to upset you. Also sending you a friend request is not spamming.

Edited by MacWalen

Will this compromise the 'Skype' class option from Walen?

No, we still teach classes online using Skype, we also have a lot of students outside of Thailand or in places where we do not have a Walen school.

Edited by MacWalen

Walen, we spam.

I sent you a friend request, perhaps it was twice. If this bothers you so much just block and delete me. Simple solution. It was not meant to upset you. Also sending you a friend request is not spamming.

Shame on you Walen.

You just added me a THIRD time.

Fix your software AND your attitude.

Simple solution - if I may be so bold as to quote you.

Keep on posting... That keeps his name at the top of the topic list. I doubt if it is dissuading many people from checking his school out.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Keep on posting... That keeps his name at the top of the topic list. I doubt if it is dissuading many people from checking his school out.

MSPain

I see your point.

And there is the expression "all publicity is good publicity".

But that expression goes back a loooooong time, people are generally much more educated and aware now.

You missed your calling, your non response to direct questions and criticism, your perchance to blow smoke (training during interview), and your reference to your dealing with two of the most inapt groups of Thai government (Education, immigration), your apparent lack of translation knowledge of the English language, your own appraisal of your own school "not so bad", etc, would lead me to believe you would not make it in the real business/political world, but you would/have fit in like a integral part of the compost pile in Thailand.

Now since you are so adapt at adding friends to yourself, would you be so kind as to delete my name from your friends list. We both know you are not a friend of mine and if you would like to come to my favorite learning venue, I believe I can explain it in a straight forward language you would understand.

Khun slapout, as you requested I removed you from my friends list. You seem to imply that doing business in Thailand is easier than in other countries and I would not manage somewhere else. Just for your info I am opening a school in the Philippines and I am sure it will be profitable. Will keep you updated. If anything you seem to be disappointed that your try to discredit me or the Walen school did not work at all.

I would like to see how you would run a business because being as unfriendly as you are I cannot see you doing well with customers and staff. This is Thailand and you calling the Thai MOE and immigration inept (definition: having no skill, clumsy) is very bad.

Hi Mac, just wondering - what language will you be teaching in the Phillipines? Tagalog? Spanish? English? (surely not Thai?) No reason to ask other than jsut interested - visited a few times many moons ago as I had a good friend (an Aussie) whose Filipino wife's family owned an island - sadly he died about 15 years ago of a stroke, and have not been back since (me that is - he obviously hasn't been back either).

No, we still teach classes online using Skype, we also have a lot of students outside of Thailand or in places where we do not have a Walen school.

I couldn't find much information regarding online classes, other than 'Download Skype'.....did I miss something?

Can you learn online and get the Ed visa too?

Walen, we spam.

Shame on you Walen.

You just added me a THIRD time.

Fix your software AND your attitude.

Simple solution - if I may be so bold as to quote you.

Sounds like you have a Stalker.

Yes kropotkin, I added you as a friend but this is not as dramatic as you make it sound, relax a little, this is Thailand, land of smiles, also it was not three times!!! Are you sure you counted correctly? Maybe you had two browsers opened and counted twice? And somebody here mentioned I was childish. Hm.......

Edited by MacWalen

You missed your calling, your non response to direct questions and criticism, your perchance to blow smoke (training during interview), and your reference to your dealing with two of the most inapt groups of Thai government (Education, immigration), your apparent lack of translation knowledge of the English language, your own appraisal of your own school "not so bad", etc, would lead me to believe you would not make it in the real business/political world, but you would/have fit in like a integral part of the compost pile in Thailand.

Now since you are so adapt at adding friends to yourself, would you be so kind as to delete my name from your friends list. We both know you are not a friend of mine and if you would like to come to my favorite learning venue, I believe I can explain it in a straight forward language you would understand.

Khun slapout, as you requested I removed you from my friends list. You seem to imply that doing business in Thailand is easier than in other countries and I would not manage somewhere else. Just for your info I am opening a school in the Philippines and I am sure it will be profitable. Will keep you updated. If anything you seem to be disappointed that your try to discredit me or the Walen school did not work at all.

I would like to see how you would run a business because being as unfriendly as you are I cannot see you doing well with customers and staff. This is Thailand and you calling the Thai MOE and immigration inept (definition: having no skill, clumsy) is very bad.

Hi Mac, just wondering - what language will you be teaching in the Phillipines? Tagalog? Spanish? English? (surely not Thai?) No reason to ask other than jsut interested - visited a few times many moons ago as I had a good friend (an Aussie) whose Filipino wife's family owned an island - sadly he died about 15 years ago of a stroke, and have not been back since (me that is - he obviously hasn't been back either).

wolf5370, happy to answer. I do not have a very precise business plan and I will see what works best. Certainly teaching English as there are a lot of foreigners who do not speak good English and would like to improve. I will also import students from other countries to the Philippines making some positive contribution to the economy. Tagalog also if there is enough interest but I don't think there would be a lot of those interested in learning but haven't tested it. Spanish yes, many Spanish call centers and people are interested in learning this language, I already have an excellent Spanish teacher from Barcelona, his name is David.

Interestingly enough I am already, as the first Thai school ever, promoting the Thai language and culture in the Philippines, we are the first private language school from Thailand promoting Thai in another country (at least I haven't heard about any other) and there seem to be a lot of Filipinos interested, some of them are interested in moving to Thailand later and working here are teachers or other professions in which they can find legal employment. Also some may want to continue their studies in Thailand and for those we will provide ED visas. I will also offer our DCS system to Filipinos with which they can learn for free by telling as little as 3 friends about our school.

I already have a good team there. Location is excellent, Angeles City, you must have heard about that place. So there you are, Walen goes international.

Thanks for your interest. You and I are friends on thaivisa.com and not a big deal, is it? Not sure what all that crying about me adding somebody as a friend is. I must be a very polarizing person in a friendly way ;)

Walen School - promoting the Thai language and culture to the world!

Edited by MacWalen

Do these five foreign nationals that are helping the Immigration office have Work Permits?

Yes I do, not sure about the other 4 though :D

Ehm: A work permit that specifically lists policing activities in the list of activities you take on, and the police (or immigration) department as the employer?

Work permits are specific to one employer, and defined responsibilities, and a place where they are performed.

Doesn't matter I think? It's interesting to see where all this is going.

Because sponsors can post and highlight their activities a reasonable number of times. Here we see a topic that seems intended from the start to draw flak, and keeps floating to the top of the bowl.

It's impacting everything negatively; the people who bicker and bitch (this includes yours truly), Walen school, MacWalen the poster, and of course the forum itself.

Walen, We persistently keep floating to the top.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I couldn't find much information regarding online classes, other than 'Download Skype'.....did I miss something?

Can you learn online and get the Ed visa too?

I am reading this thread again and I am sad that some ignorant people can write bad things about my teachers and staff not even knowing them. For those who have never visited my Chiangmai school I have the picture of my teachers, next time before you write your nonsense that I pick the teachers based on their looks and not brains please get to know them first. People can both look good and be brainy.

Walen School - quality teachers

post-46756-0-81772200-1310215848_thumb.j

I am reading this thread again and I am sad that some ignorant people can write bad things about my teachers and staff not even knowing them. For those who have never visited my Chiangmai school I have the picture of my teachers, next time before you write your nonsense that I pick the teachers based on their looks and not brains please get to know them first. People can both look good and be brainy.

Walen School - quality teachers

Transparent.

I was going to keep out of all this but this was just too much...

Yes, it's true that one can be qualified and attractive. But the chances of all of the most qualified people you could find coincidentally being attractive -- or even, over and over, having the choice between two equally qualified people one of whom happens to be attractive and single...virtually zero % I should think. So that means on at least some occasions, and perhaps all, looks were chosen over qualifications.

So that is pretty creepy to me; this guy having a school at which apparently has as a hiring requirement -- and clearly a priority -- that the teachers are young and physically attractive and then using that asa selling point repeatedly on this thread (and presumably elsewhere) and now finding an excuse to post a photo of said teachers...

Transparent. And really tacky -- at best.

(I suspect it wouldn;t bother me as much if the guy just came out and said 'Our teachers are all good but the main thing is we made sure that they are young, good-looking and single -- and you might even wind up with one as a mate!' Go ahead and explicitly sell it as a new sort of business...not sure how to describe it though, without being sort of offensive to what are no doubt perfectly nice young women)