True: No More Daily Reset?

autonomous_unit

You do not say which service you are on?

Sorry, I tried to indicate it in the subject... True high speed ADSL (plain old home service). Up until the past few days, the PPPoE link always reset after 24 hours and invariably got issued a different IP address.

Edited by autonomous_unit

I was just curious if this is happening for other folks... to me the main benefit is that TCP connections can stay open more than 24 hours (TCP cannot tolerate a changing address). The changing address used to be an annoyance when I tried to do things like voice-chat but most software is getting better about coping with that automatically due to "NAT traversal" mechanisms, etc.

Also, people who used to count on the relative anonymity of a daily True IP address change might want to consider that their web accesses are now easier to track back and associate as all coming from the same location over a span of several days. (Assuming this is a change for many/all True customers and not just something odd on my line.)

My personal experience: I had a dynamic IP with once or twice daily resets for five months, then it became static for four months, and now it is back to dynamic again with two resets per day since two months.

Dont know what is the cause of these changes, but I believe it proves these changes do not span over all TRUE users at the same time at any rate.

/Meadish

Sorry I missed that point about TRUE.

Unless you are running a web site, that must have a fixed IP address,

it really does not matter what address you are on.

There are solutions for dynamic IPs like True / TOT and other provide, if you want to run a web site or the likes from no-ip.com and many others who link your dynamic IP to a DNS name i.e www.thaivia.no-ip.com

It is free and a good solution from home or a small business.

I have never had the problem you mention with TRUE here in Sukhumvit in BKK.

Cheers

Oh, I'd like a static address to. It's just that I've decided it is easier to convince myself I like what I got than to get what I like here in Thailand sometimes... :o

Yes, I have wondered if any western ISPs realize the business they could do in low-cost and low-bandwidth VPN services for international customers. Some VPN servers in a well-connected datacenter somewhere could probably cut overheads to make $20-30 US/month feasible for ADSL speed services... I wonder if there are legal issues which make it too difficult (know thy customer, etc.) or just a lack of imagination in marketing department?

I often wonder if we'll ever see IPv6 take off with this sort of service, to get around "last mile" ISPs who are slow off the start...