Abhisit: It's Us Or Chaos

Lite Beer

Abhisit: It's us or chaos

By KITTIPONG THAVEVONG,

KORNCHANOK RAKSASERI

THE NATION

30159266-01.jpg

Final Democrat rally promises progressive nation free of 'mob rule'

In his Democrat Party's final election rally, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva last night called on voters to choose his party over the rival Pheu Thai Party. In doing so, Abhisit promised, Thais could be assured that the country would go forward and his new government would serve all groups of people fairly - like being "under the same sky"

With this phrase, which was the theme of the Democrats' final rally before tomorrow's general election, he said every Thai citizen was fairly treated under the constitutional monarchy, with no group staying above the law or benefiting from "mob rule".

"If you want to extinguish the fires in the country and want the country to go forward on an acceptable path, you need an honest government that works 100 per cent. The Democrat Party and I volunteer to lead Thailand on this path," Abhisit told his audience under a downpour at the Royal Plaza.

"People who love Thailand do not want the see social division and violence in the country," he said during his one-hour address.

In the rally's background was the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall - once housing the country's parliament. There were also screens broadcasting simultaneous rallies from other provinces, including Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Surat Thani, and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

He said that by voting for Pheu Thai, people could expect some hardline red-shirt leaders in a new government, in addition to efforts to whitewash politicians linked to the party, particularly fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The rain began drizzling shortly before 5.30pm. It was still raining while Abhisit was addressing the large crowd of Democrat fans carrying umbrellas and wearing raincoats. The heavy rain failed to discourage tens of thousands of supporters occupying almost all the seats provided.

Abhisit greeted the crowd and told them they would stand upright saluting the national anthem then the rally would begin.

He took to the stage at 7pm, after former Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin and Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij reminded people what the Democrats, as the ruling party, had done for them and what they planned to do next.

Abhisit's address began with a video presentation of his selected words from the recent Democrat rally at Ratchaprasong Intersection - where the red shirts held their protest last year. At that earlier rally, Abhisit called on the voters to help "detoxify Thaksin". He said the voters should show the world that "Thailand cannot be bought" and that "Thailand must belong to every group in this country".

The Democrats also brought a large group of people on to the stage yesterday. They were described as people who benefit from the Democrat-led government's policies over the past two years. They included farmers, street vendors, taxi drivers, motorcycle-taxi riders, and low-income parents.

Under umbrellas and plastic mats used as shelters, Democrat supporters in the meantime danced with the party's songs and shouted "number 10" in support of the party's election number, after the calls of the MCs: "Democrat," "Abhisit," and "Prime Minister."

The rain got stronger but the supporters still stood to listen while listening to the event's presentations including the displays of a motorcycle the owner was able to afford with the compensation received from the party's farmer-revenue guarantee.

Holding a Nation reporter's hand firmly and looking into the journalist's eyes, Mariam Saisanae, 57, said: "I will vote for any party that protects the monarchy. You know well which party is attacking the monarchy. I can't accept that. Those who are the enemies to the monarchy, I'll fight to death."

She came from Bangkok's Min Buri district, a stronghold of Pheu Thai candidate Vicharn Minchainant.

Wirun Saisanae, 60, Mariam's husband, said he had been a Democrat fan since he was in secondary school. MR Seni Pramoj was the prime minister at that time.

Kannika Somsuwan, 32, who was with a 16-month-old baby, said she had come to the rally site at 4pm. She said she liked Abhisit and thought she wanted to give the Democrats the chance to continue development of the country.

At least the party does not cheat, she said, adding that the only reason she had to go home before the rally ended was that she was concerned that her baby would get sick.

Reanu Uris, 69, said she came from Nonthaburi. Her origin was in the South, so she said there was no doubt she would support the party. She would not flee from the rain and would stay at the rally as long as possible. Her only concern was whether she could find a public bus to take her and her friends back home.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-02

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think it will be chaos either way.

Pheu Thai have already threatened a couple of times that the red shirts will be out protesting if they can't form government.

And I'm quite confident the yellows shirts will be out in strength if Pheu Thai start changing laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

"it's us or chaos!" - sounds for me like a threat!

(hope they are not blocking the airport again, when they might lose tomorrow)

You seem confused. The PAD blocked the airports. They are campaigning for "no vote".

Hopefully Thai voters will have better grip on who's who,than yourself, when they vote.

Hopefully Thai voters will have better grip on who's who,than yourself, when they vote.

Again, I see the Yellow shirts raising again, in case of the victory of Yinluck & Co., but they won't raise as much or at all, if Abhisit will make it again.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always saw the Yellow shirts as an AGAINST Taksin (party) movement, not?

Pheu Thai have already threatened a couple of times that the red shirts will be out protesting if they can't form government.

And I'm quite confident the yellows shirts will be out in strength if Pheu Thai start changing laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

Are the riots starting in 2-3 weeks or in 3-4 months?

That is the only real question,

There will be no reconciliation.

There will only be screaming and ranting about what the other side is doing to them. Or about to do and must be stopped.

Edited by animatic

Certain parties make their living by encouraging division. They won't stop, its how they get elected, and the populace are always suckers for that nationalist/classist BS, for example the "Elite" propaganda. All major political parties are run by the "Elite". The idea that one of them actually represents the common man is patently ridiculous.

If we are lucky we'll get a few months of peace before the mobs spill out into the streets again.

Edited by Crushdepth

It's not a threat, it's a statement of fact. If a certain party has utilized mobs to achieve all it's aims in the past, do you really think it is going to give up that "tool" in the future? Remember, democracy's not the goal here. It too is only a "tool".

"Her only concern was whether she could find a public bus to take her and her friends back home."

Maybe the government has not invested enough in public transport..? :rolleyes:

i was watching the rallies lastnight at 2:30 am, buses don't usually run that late.

If it was thaksin he'd give her 500 baht for a taxi - as long as someone was looking .

I expect them to be there any time that Thaksin is due to fly in.

I expect the PAD is history. IMO it will fracture into a tiny extremist group and its more centric members will join with a middle class movement which has yet to be born.

Are the riots starting in 2-3 weeks or in 3-4 months?

That is the only real question,

There will be no reconciliation.

There will only be screaming and ranting about what the other side is doing to them. Or about to do and must be stopped.

or 2-3 days??

I expect them to be there any time that Thaksin is due to fly in.

I expect the PAD is history. IMO it will fracture into a tiny extremist group and its more centric members will join with a middle class movement which has yet to be born.

OK, maybe it will be the coloured shirts then.

Anybody remember how long it typically takes in Thailand to get the voting results? Should we expect initial results Sunday night or is it likely to drag into next week before anybody has a real idea of the results?

Anybody remember how long it typically takes in Thailand to get the voting results? Should we expect initial results Sunday night or is it likely to drag into next week before anybody has a real idea of the results?

You will have a pretty good idea on Sunday evening around 9.00pm but any wranglings to form a coalition will take a while.

It will be chaos if Pheu Thai get in. In all their time in opposition they scarcely functioned as an opposition. All they did was raise no-confidence motions and campaign for the return of their deity often by condoning and excusing mob rule resulting in many building in Bangkok being burnt down. They are a disgraceful caricature of a political party and a vehicle for just one policy, which will possibly lead to another coop or worse still civil war if that policy is pursued.

Abhisit is a desperate man....he keeps preaching chaos and badmouthing Yingluck... knowing he can't win the election..whereas Yingluck preaches reconciliation..

But which one is telling the truth?

Abhisit is a desperate man....he keeps preaching chaos and badmouthing Yingluck... knowing he can't win the election..whereas Yingluck preaches reconciliation..

But which one is telling the truth?

Maybe he would be sitting in a better position had he not kept on and on about the negative of the other party and concentrated on the positives about his own party...

[/quote

Now, I hope that this is a joke.

Reconciliation in the mouth of a PTP = UDD member is simply not believable.

Abhisit has difficulties to tell the puiblic that the DP are going to make it xis losses in a row since 1992. Abhisit should know that the chaos is created by Sonthi, Anupong and Prayuth. The voters are not stupid. They know they were better off 5 years ago. That they had more money, more freedom, less poltical upheavel and a better economy.

For the rich old money elite it is indeed Abhisit or paying taxes and adhere to a scoiety that has progressed a century.