Diesel Engined Cars (Not Trucks)

Been searching and since nothing crops up I guess the answer is no.....

Are there any Japanese "saloon" like cars in Thailand with diesel engines.

Wife and I are in the market to replace a Toyota Vios and it would be great (given the difference in fuel cost and consumption) to replace it with a diesel engined car. Seems these are not available in Thailand at all. Trucks have diesel and cars have petrol. I realise BMW and Mercedes saloons are available with diesel engines, but for us without a fortune? Something like a Honda CRV would be OK. Any realistically priced saloons with a diesel engine?

Thanks

Today, Ford Focus

Tomorrow, Chevy Cruze, perhaps Ford Mondeo

+2 mill, Volvo

While cars capable of running E20 gasohol gets reduced excicetax, there is no reduccton for diesel cars, thus not many available

would also consider MitsuEx saloon, E85 compatible at 22 baht liter

and there are NGV running very cheap CNG, like Altis Corolla at 850k baht

Since you mention CRV, no diesel in TH, but Chevy Captiva is very similar, Today 2,0/150 hp, tomorrow 2,2 with more power and probably more refined

Sedans/ Htachbacks:

Ford Focus 2 liter diesel current model, new model is coming in 2012, 1.1-1.2 million baht. There seems to be deals now from 1 million baht up for the Focus diesel.

Chevrolet Cruze 2 liter diesel, same price range as Ford Focus.

SUV:

Ssangyong Koranda 2 liter diesel, 1.6 million baht

Chevrolet Captiva 2 liter diesel, will get new 2.2 liter diesel later this year, around 1.5 million baht.

Somewhere in 2012 the follow up from the Ford Escape and Ford Kuga will come with hopefully a 2 liter diesel.

Honda is developing a new small diesel engine (somewhere between 1.6-2.0 liter) for the Indian market for the City and probably other models, this will be available there around 2012/2013.

No word about it if it will come to Thailand, but it would be great if they would bring it here.

Just a coupl of additions...

Since you mention CRV, no diesel in TH, but Chevy Captiva is very similar, Today 2,0/150 hp, tomorrow 2,2 with more power and probably more refined

The Captiva minor change releasing this month is also available with a 2.4L E85 compat. engine, and it's expected the November minor change for the Cruze will also see it go E85, given Chev's recent public commitment to FFV's.

Honda is developing a new small diesel engine (somewhere between 1.6-2.0 liter) for the Indian market for the City and probably other models, this will be available there around 2012/2013.

No word about it if it will come to Thailand, but it would be great if they would bring it here.

Ford India started selling the FIesta 1.6L TDCI (not the ecotec, but close) earlier this year, but still no suggestion it'll become available in TH. India is a very different market to TH - they don't have a diesel phobia in the passgenger car market like here.. I wouldn't be holding my breathe for a Honda TH diesel...

It took Honda a while to get an auto for their 2,2 diesel, but it has been available in Accord and CRV for a year or two now. Going gasohol only, TH consumers may find Honda more exclusive/non agriculture than the others, which is exactly where Honda wants to be in TH. No taxi sales, no NGV, no diesel