Thailands Train Service

in september i intend to travel from isaan to cha-am has anybody got any information of the train set up here in thailand in the past ive done the same trip on buses but found it very trying if any members have any help or info on the subject it would be greatly apprieciated . The earlier route was prassat to Bangkok then on to cha-am once again many thanks

Whichever way go , It is Surin to Hua Lumphong, then on to Cha-Am. So many permutations, but you might like to consider, an overnight 2nd class sleeper from Surin, , then a day train from H.L to Cha-Am, as that is quite a short leg. That would be my preferred option.Awful journey by bus, especially as you have to get from Morchit to the new Southern bus terminal, Happy travelling

Try looking at state railways of thailand, it usually gives me a site which I think is railways.co.th on there you can see all the timetables for all the lines, train options, prices etc.

I've found that the bus usually a faster option than the train. I recently did Chiang Mai to Pichit and it took nearly 7 hours. Could have done it faster on a Honda wave i reckon lol.

As far as Issan to Bangkok then on to Cha-Am goes, it would be flight then taxi/bus every time over that kind of distance. The difference in price just isn't worth the time it would take IMO.

Which ever way you go, enjoy your travels!!

Whichever way go , It is Surin to Hua Lumphong, then on to Cha-Am. So many permutations, but you might like to consider, an overnight 2nd class sleeper from Surin, , then a day train from H.L to Cha-Am, as that is quite a short leg. That would be my preferred option.Awful journey by bus, especially as you have to get from Morchit to the new Southern bus terminal, Happy travelling

There are buses that go south from Mo Chit, we took one to Krabi at the end of May.

I've found that the bus usually a faster option than the train. I recently did Chiang Mai to Pichit and it took nearly 7 hours. Could have done it faster on a Honda wave i reckon lol.

As far as Issan to Bangkok then on to Cha-Am goes, it would be flight then taxi/bus every time over that kind of distance. The difference in price just isn't worth the time it would take IMO.

Which ever way you go, enjoy your travels!!

There are no flights from or to Surin. That is why the overnight sleeper train is such a good option.

There are buses that go south from Mo Chit, we took one to Krabi at the end of May.

I am sorry,but are you sure you were at Morchit? There are no buses to the South from Morchit, only to the Central, North and North East, with a few also to the East. Buses to the South ONLY depart from Sai Tai,the Southern Bus Terminal. Most buses to the East depart from Ekamai.

i go at night 1st class sleeper.by the time i wake up i'm there

Hehehe, Not all of us can afford or desire to travel 1st. class. I have had many much more enjoyable trips travelling 2nd.class sleeper. !st class is so alienating.!!

Try looking at state railways of thailand, it usually gives me a site which I think is railways.co.th on there you can see all the timetables for all the lines, train options, prices etc.

Not quite correct .It does NOT give you all trains, It does give you the main long distance trains ,for sure , but definitely not all trains. The only way to check for the minor trains is at a Railway Station.In fact some lines don't even rate a mention. For example : Wong Wien Yai to Mahachai,

I agree that the SRT site is decidedly hit and miss.

I don't know what all this talk of buses is for though.

Firstly the OP says he's done the bus thing before and while the train may be slower, it's a sight more comfortable than a bus. I haven't taken a bus for a trip more than 3 hours in duration in years and don't intend to.

Train 140 leaves Surin at 2200 and arrive in BKK at 0730.

Train 261 leave Bangkok at 0920 and arrives at Cha Am at 13.10 and is a very pleasant rattle indeed.

This gives you a couple of hours scope as well in case 140 is late.

Not quite correct .It does NOT give you all trains, It does give you the main long distance trains ,for sure , but definitely not all trains. The only way to check for the minor trains is at a Railway Station.In fact some lines don't even rate a mention. For example : Wong Wien Yai to Mahachai

Yes it does although only in Thai.

Very dated trains with a bad reputation for breaking down and one of the highest accident rates in the world for trains.

First class is more like 4th class when compaired to American or EU trains.

Police stormed into my room asking questions of who I was and who was with me checking ID and everything.

I can never think of a reason to use them again untill they upgrade

Very dated trains with a bad reputation for breaking down and one of the highest accident rates in the world for trains.

Police stormed into my room asking questions of who I was and who was with me checking ID and everything.

I would be interested in your sources....

Bad reputation for breaking down? In over 10 years I personally never had this problem nor anybody that I know. Maybe its true, where is your source?

Highest accident rates in the word? I checked on the most dangerous and they don't even show up in the top 10 (USA does 3 times).

As for your statement about 4th class, What can you get in the USA for $50? A 3rd class seat from Los Angeles to San Diego! Here in Thailand, you get great value for your money and unlike the USA the trains here are normally on-time.

I have been traveling by train in Thailand for 15 years and only once had a breakdown (about 14 or 15 years ago) and bloody love the train. Love my own seat by my own window and being able to have a bite and a few drinks.

I hear you brother....

The trains here can't be beaten. Settle in your seat, pop open a beer, kick back and watch the world roll by..

Not quite correct .It does NOT give you all trains, It does give you the main long distance trains ,for sure , but definitely not all trains. The only way to check for the minor trains is at a Railway Station.In fact some lines don't even rate a mention. For example : Wong Wien Yai to Mahachai

Yes it does although only in Thai.

Not helpful. How many of us read Thai?

I have been traveling by train in Thailand for 15 years and only once had a breakdown (about 14 or 15 years ago) and bloody love the train. Love my own seat by my own window and being able to have a bite and a few drinks.

I hear you brother....

The trains here can't be beaten. Settle in your seat, pop open a beer, kick back and watch the world roll by..

Be a brain , travel by train, Be a pain travel by plane. Not sure why people push plane - boring. Love the trains. slow they might be . For me, not a problem. I have travelled on every line in Thailand. First rode the rails here in 1977. Have a nice little cooler holds 6 little canned "elephants", A great friend indeed .Have spent many a pleasant evenings/nights in the restaurant car.

Eh? Bad reputation for breaking down. Nonsense .Bad accident record , Total rubbish. Slow ? yes, but with overnight sleeper, what's the problem?What an erroneous comparison , about class. They are more than satisfactory for my needs ,thank you very much.'Stormed " into my room. More info , please. Never heard of such behaviour. Why your room?What had you done? I await your reply with great interest

My Thai G/f wont let me travel by train as its populated by highwayman, thugs, robbers and all sorts of bad people, you know of course that she has never been on a train! The bus is always better, well its not and I fully intend to have a few journeys with the railways this year.

Rail Travel is the most civilised way to travel and beats the bus all ends up,ok maybe the bus might be quicker but what would you do with the time? I like to see the ever changing picture through my window, have a bite and beer if I want, much less stressful.

I hope the next government, whoever it may be will invest more in it.

thanks everyone for your help

I agree that the SRT site is decidedly hit and miss.

I don't know what all this talk of buses is for though.

Firstly the OP says he's done the bus thing before and while the train may be slower, it's a sight more comfortable than a bus. I haven't taken a bus for a trip more than 3 hours in duration in years and don't intend to.

Train 140 leaves Surin at 2200 and arrive in BKK at 0730.

Train 261 leave Bangkok at 0920 and arrives at Cha Am at 13.10 and is a very pleasant rattle indeed.

This gives you a couple of hours scope as well in case 140 is late.

My Thai G/f wont let me travel by train as its populated by highwayman, thugs, robbers and all sorts of bad people, you know of course that she has never been on a train! The bus is always better, well its not and I fully intend to have a few journeys with the railways this year.

Rail Travel is the most civilised way to travel and beats the bus all ends up,ok maybe the bus might be quicker but what would you do with the time? I like to see the ever changing picture through my window, have a bite and beer if I want, much less stressful.

''Won't let you''???????????????????????????

It was a polite way of saying that conjugal benefits will be withdrawn for at least a week and silence will reign in the house for the same period.

It was a polite way of saying that conjugal benefits will be withdrawn for at least a week and silence will reign in the house for the same period.

It never ceases to amaze me from what I see & hear in TH with Thai/Western relationships, I mean who wears the trousers, guys?