Cost Of Northern Visa Run

Hi all, I need to do a visa run. I am going by car but was wondering how much it would cost to go to Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong (sorry not Chiag Kham)? I don't really like going to Mai Sai and would like to try another way.

Thanks.

B

Edited by booma

Crossing at Chiang Khong to Ban Houei Sai in Laos easy, but you'd still need to pay the baht 1500+-, or $35 (better) for a Visa On Arrival. Do some shopping then back to C. Khong. Nice enough drive, tho.

Don't believe Ban Houak crossing further south in C. Kham is open to foreigners as yet. Last time I stopped by, which I must admit was several years ago, they said it was only for Thai and Lao and then just a couple days a week. If/when it does open, would be a nice way to drive over to the Xieng Lom/Xieng Hon valley, then on to Hong Sa and Luang Prabang. Or, turn north at Muang Nguen and cross the Mekong River, then over to Pak Beng, and on to Oudomxay, choice there, turn right to Luang Prabang, or left back to Nam Tha and Ban Houei Sai and C. Khong. Or return to Thailand at Muang Nguen and down to Nan Province.

Mac

Crossing at Chiang Khong to Ban Houei Sai in Laos easy, but you'd still need to pay the baht 1500+-, or $35 (better) for a Visa On Arrival. Do some shopping then back to C. Khong. Nice enough drive, tho.

Don't believe Ban Houak crossing further south in C. Kham is open to foreigners as yet. Last time I stopped by, which I must admit was several years ago, they said it was only for Thai and Lao and then just a couple days a week. If/when it does open, would be a nice way to drive over to the Xieng Lom/Xieng Hon valley, then on to Hong Sa and Luang Prabang. Or, turn north at Muang Nguen and cross the Mekong River, then over to Pak Beng, and on to Oudomxay, choice there, turn right to Luang Prabang, or left back to Nam Tha and Ban Houei Sai and C. Khong. Or return to Thailand at Muang Nguen and down to Nan Province.

Mac

Thanks, I'll go to Chiang Khong.

B