Three killed, 40 trapped in separate coal mine accidents in China

News_Editor

Three killed, 40 trapped in separate coal mine accidents in China

2011-07-03 08:39:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

BEIJING (BNO NEWS) -- Rescuers on Saturday were trying to reach 40 miners buried underground in two separate coal mine disasters which have already killed three people in south China.

The state-run Xinhua news agency reported that work crew operated at least 17 pumps at Niupeng Mine in rural Guizhou province to release water from the flooded mine. At least 29 miners were working at two shafts when the flooding occurred in the morning.

Mao Youzhi, head of the county government of Pingtang, said over a thousand police officers and firemen have been mobilized to join the rescue operation. Eight workers have already been rescued.

In a separate mining disaster, three people were killed while 19 others remain trapped after part of a coal mine in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region collapsed. The incident occurred when earth on the surface collapsed into a shaft, following days of heavy rain. Another 50 miners who were working underground at the time of the cave-in have managed to escape.

Gas explosions, floods and fires are frequent in China's coal mines. The State Administration of Coal Mine Safety data show 2,433 miners were killed in coal mine accidents in 2010, compared with 2,631 deaths in 2009.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-03