Djing In Thailand?

mindblend

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody has any experiences of DJing and getting paid gigs in Thailand. I'll hopefully be leaving the UK and want to take a couple of boxes of tunes with me.

Any ideas? I've been DJing and promoting for about 10 years so know what I'm doing :o

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mindblend

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody has any experiences of DJing and getting paid gigs in Thailand. I'll hopefully be leaving the UK and want to take a couple of boxes of tunes with me.

Any ideas? I've been DJing and promoting for about 10 years so know what I'm doing :o

Cheers,

Mike

If you haven't got a work permit, it's a big "NO" as far as i am aware Mike

Am I the only one who thought that a thread about "Dying in Thailand" was a bit inappropriate in the pub?...

I would imagine that DJing could be covered under the same laws as musicians, i.e. entertainers (think there's a special category visa?) However your experience is unlikely to sell well. Thais like Thai-style DJs, which mostly means high-energy pop stuff, heavy on the Britney remixes etc. Despite the listings labels of "hiphop", etc, and reviews that desperately strain to sound like they can differentiate different styles, it doesn't vary much from a standard formula.

I knew a guy who DJ'd on one of the islands for at least a year, knew what he was doing and was a pro at home. He got a free backpacker bungalow and meals with the staff, so technically it was a paying gig. Er, and no, he didn't have a work permit :o

Hi all,

Cheers,

Mike

The reality is that you do theoretically need a work permit, but places like Q bar, Bed and Mystique are not checking for the most part, so you'll probably be able to find work.

The styles that are popular now tend to be the cheesier end of most styles (except for DnB which is full on proper proper proper as it goes in that one track)... house of course and currently hip hop is the big thing. Lounge/downbeat quite popular too.

What you'll struggle with is a fairly tight set of the Q bar white guys who control things reasonably tightly on the house side of things, and they are all quite good... if you can get in with them then you'll be good to go for the farang side of things (most of the customers at Q, Bed and Mystique type places are white or ladieez interested in white guys, and mostly interested in persuading them to part with cash for "services").

The scene changes fairly fast; AStra is one of the few genuine super clubs here, you might get in there if you are decent.

Expect to earn perhaps not that much; I used to play a bit for fun and was making about 1500b an hour, which is probably on par with most of the other DJs (except they were good and I wasnt!) for a couple of hours every few days. Hard to get the tunes though; hence why it helps to get in tight with the local scene guys who have ways to get vinyl here.

The DnB scene is kind of tight, and the top Thai guys, well one of them, is really worldclass; the standard of house here is not so good, but then again, it doesn't take as much skill to mix house; the rest comes down to what ppl want to listen to; no doubt the skills of the DJs is probably well good, but the crowd don't want to listen to trainspotter tracks; they want big tunes; especially in places like Q Bar.

There is a scene on the islands down south as well, but I cannot tell you about that.

Private parties make serious cash; 10,000b a night or even double or triple that; you need connections though which you would get if you can get in tight.

If you explain what style you play, I can point you in a few directions. Khao San, Democ; there are some smaller places that could fill in your time and get you some cash if you know what you are doing, and play a fairly popular style -e.g. if you are a prog house/trance DJ the range will be quite limited to say the least I would have thought; much bigger range for a house DJ with some commercial stuff in his/her box.

If you explain what style you play, I can point you in a few directions.  Khao San, Democ; there are some smaller places that could fill in your time and get you some cash if you know what you are doing, and play a fairly popular style -e.g. if you are a prog house/trance DJ the range will be quite limited to say the least I would have thought; much bigger range for a house DJ with some commercial stuff in his/her box.

Cheers Steve and everyone else for your comments.

To answer the above, I do play DnB, but mostly '90 - '95 old school. My collection spans funk, soul lots of electro, hip hop, electronica, rare grooves ant that kind of thing.

These days I mostly play bars and chillout rooms round London and the home counties.

I guess apart from the hip hop, everything I've listed is quite non-commercial. Do you think there would be a market for any of the above?

Cheers,

Mike

Depends a lot on where you have played and your "star quality". There are many DJs in Bangkok masquerading as having played all over the world but in truth they are just bedroom boys who want an easy way to stay in Thailand.

Try www.bangkokspin.com

Go to their forum, or look at the forum at

www.bangkokrecorder.com

Best of luck!

Depends a lot on where you have played and your "star quality". There are many DJs in Bangkok masquerading as having played all over the world but in truth they are just bedroom boys who want an easy way to stay in Thailand.

Try www.bangkokspin.com

Go to their forum, or look at the forum at

www.bangkokrecorder.com

Best of luck!

Are you a famous DJ in Thailand DJ Pat?

you sound very clued up about the current scene,you are probably too modern for alot of places imo.example. bubble(most popular club in chiangmai),where the djs(term used lightly)play very cheesy eurotrance(usually well over a year old,probably just started playing eric prydz-call on me,to death),same order alot of nights,and get a great ovation from the very uncool farangs at the end of the night, from certain european countries who think dance music is about,scooter,ian van dahl etc and cheesy rip offs,not to mention the love song they always play at the end of night when the meat market begins.you will have a chance at the more discerning places in bangkok and maybe the islands.ever thought about the full moon parties(maybe they still play techo there,which i doubt is your thing).anyway good luck

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

You could always start your own club(via all legal avenues, incorporate a company etc...) and make yourself the house DJ ! Something small and cosy playing the latest beats from detroit,nyc,london,etc.. as owner you get total creative control , it could be a bar, club, cafe,loungy hang out space etc... something different from the mindless dime a dozen drivel of bars and clubs that have infected LOS.

You could always start your own club(via all legal avenues, incorporate a company etc...) and make yourself the house DJ ! Something small and cosy playing the latest beats from detroit,nyc,london,etc.. as owner you get total creative control , it could be  a bar, club, cafe,loungy hang out space etc... something different from the mindless dime a dozen drivel of bars and clubs that have infected LOS.

That is pretty much my dream. I would love to have a bar/cafe place with maybe a little basement club downstairs. A nice menu of bar food - different awesome snacks I've had round the world, and excellent music from all my mates who DJ and want a holiday.

I've been thinking about someting like this for a long time. Wish I had the cas for it but all my money has gone into buying and renovating a flat in London :o

Foxy - that sounds just plain bloody depressing! :D

Being a DJ and running a club are very different skills. If you aren't a club owner there, I would not suggest Thailand as the best place to start; aside from legal and finance issues, you don't know anything about the market here; learn that first then consider.

Mystique was an example of a guy who thought he could kick butt in the Thai market; he chose an idiotic location and then wondered why he kept getting police showing up; just like the MOS Londoners (who also were not smart enough to know that their local partners were alledgedly skimming the till).

Old school DnB - not sure that will work here; the DnB scene is pretty advanced you might get a play the odd night, but the good DnB guys here are really decent; and there are a lot for such a small scene.

The funk/lounge stuff definitely has a market here; I would think some of the hotels like Nailert and so on would be good for you.

I think pretty much all the foreign DJs from Europe here are about bedroom DJ level, there are a couple of big time scratch guys out here, but the type of music you play is not really the "super star" genre; I think you should cruise on out here; PM me and send me some sample or something and if you are suitable I can recommend you to a few places.

The Eurotrance scene is hmmm not really around BKK anymore for the most part; hip hop is the big thing (which really sucks) and it is the cruddy hip hop as well. House still ok; the scene is big enough to accomodate a few more guys. Just try to hook up with a hotel or decent size player; at some point I am sure there is going to be a shakedown of all the foreign DJs here without work permits, because there are so many of them, and at some point people will be asking how come them guys is earning money and not paying tax....but that could be years away :o

Mystique was an example of a guy who thought he could kick butt in the Thai market; he chose an idiotic location and then wondered why he kept getting police showing up; just like the MOS Londoners (who also were not smart enough to know that their local partners were alledgedly skimming the till).

Had to laugh at that one :o

There's a few respectable foreign DJ's out here steveromagnino. Okay, there not ten-a-penny but I'd say their tracklists are fairly respectable.

In terms of getting the music out here, Juno does me very well. Most orders arrive within a week, and the prices are pretty reasonable.

I also agree what you said about Eurotrance (which is a good thing). Not that I don't like Trance - I love it - It's just that the standard of the stuff played in BKK and elsewhere was absolutely deplorable.

I have contacted managers of some clubs and most of them are open and willing to listen to a demo CD. Just visit the place a few times and you will gat a feel of what kinda music is popular.

You might have to change your style but a DJ is there to entertain people and not to try to 'educate' them.

Here in Thailand as I noticed it is more like how many new songs you have other then how many good songs you have.

Short term thinking rules here.

KR,

Alex

You might have to change your style but a DJ is there to entertain people and not to try to 'educate' them.

Alex

that's why many good (thai) djs have been kicked out and replaced by less 'idealistic' djs nowsdays.

to survive in this (commercial) music industry, u have to compromise

i personally think, dj should be able to 'eduacate' the audience

both entertain them and entertain 'the dj' him/herself as well

test the thai clubbing scene, u will probably change ur mind to be resident dj here!

(joking)

Being a DJ and running a club are very different skills.  If you aren't a club owner there, I would not suggest Thailand as the best place to start; aside from legal and finance issues, you don't know anything about the market here; learn that first then consider.

Completely agreed.

The funk/lounge stuff definitely has a market here; I would think some of the hotels like Nailert and so on would be good for you.

Excellent. Sounds good as I love more chilled venues like hotel bars etc.

I think pretty much all the foreign DJs from Europe here are about bedroom DJ level, there are a couple of big time scratch guys out here, but the type of music you play is not really the "super star" genre; I think you should cruise on out here; PM me and send me some sample or something and if you are suitable I can recommend you to a few places.

Sounds great mate thanks for the offer. I have been meaning to get a new mix CD out for a while... Will keep you informed on that. I have a couple of older CDs that I can rip and post up but would rather do something fresh anyway as a couple of people have asked me for a new mix recently.

Will keep you informed.

Thanks again.

Mike

I think you should come out here and see for yourself. I've gotten more gigs and money then I ever did in L.A., and this is from using other people's CDs and records (I didn't bring any). It came to the point when I left that town (Chiang Mai) and never told anybody again that I could spin. Guys would tell everybody that they introduced me to, "He's a superstar DJ from L.A." then the DJ or somebody close to him would kind of force me to play in place of him. Then came the groupies, both male and female. Thai become so touchy when they think you are somebody important. I had to move and become low-key. I'm not making this up.

In other words, you will get booked so easily, you might become annoyed.

Any DJ willing to come to Bangkok and play something other than Hip Hop will be a blessing. Thank God for places like Astra, Narcissus and a few others who don't jump on the trash bandwagon.

Bangkok really needs a good house DJ bringing current European anthems to change the scene back around again and make the followers realise that there are good feelings to be had dressing well without the gangsta look.

At least 10 years ago Bangkok had it's own type of cheesy music (Euro dance in Thai language) which was at least fun and people would dress uniquely without looking like Euro/US chavs.

The closure of MOS was a loss...the music and international DJs were putting Thailand on the map behind KL and Singapore and no other club seems to have got to that level yet. The nearest regular decent house music I've heard comes from Met bar, which although very Western is also small, members-only and therefore doesn't get bombarded with prossies.

Hello Mindblend, I have the same idea as you. Are you using decks? Most DJ's play cheese on toast <deleted> music with CDs. I reckon youll find success if you bring something new and fresh onto the scene, like Grime, already exploding in Japan I dont see why it wont do well in Thai.

I personally am planning on taking my TTX1's to Pattaya and caning out some trance in the open bars, specificly the Performance bar walkin st.

Start Djing for free to start with, gain a good rep make some contacts and take things from there...

dj's crack me up.playing other people's music in others people's clubs, and somehow the false sense of self importance still prevails.hahahaha.

gimme a balls to the wall rocker on a Les Paul anyday.

people that say this about DJs are one of the following:

-you liked a girl but she was into DJs

-your girlfriend left you for a DJ

-you were a DJ that didn't make it

which one are you?

and to the last guy, I will never recommend spinning for free. I got 2000 baht for playing somebody else's stuff. When I finally get my own stuff, I will demand more than what I got when I didn't even try to get booked. I got contacts without trying. I have been here for one year and a half and finally discovered what my calling is. I'm gonna concetrate on being a live artist with original music. The reception has already been better than what I've ever experienced in America. Contrary to previous posters, any style of music can get a good reaction.

never spin for free. Bangkok DJs are getting 70,000 baht to play in Chiang Mai. I could tell you more but I'm not revealing all my knowlege and plans on this board.

people that say this about DJs are one of the following:

-you liked a girl but she was into DJs

-your girlfriend left you for a DJ

-you were a DJ that didn't make it

which one are you?

someone who owns commercial property leased by owners that run clubs but sits quietly in the corner and watches the "cool" DJ's make money for the owners who in turn pay rent to me and get a kick out of watching the DJ think they own the place.

:o

someone who owns commercial property leased by owners that run clubs but sits quietly in the corner and watches the "cool" DJ's make money for the owners who in turn pay rent to me and get a kick out of watching the DJ think they own the place.

:o

To be fair, there are a fair amount of DJs who are complete <deleted> so I can see where you got this viewpoint from.

Then again there are plenty of people in general who act like idiots....