Khon Kaen

bkkmei

Hallo!

husband and I are off to Khon Kaen for the long weekend and just wondered if any of you had tips and advice on things to do/see/eat?

for example, I heard there was a race track in Khon Kaen - will there be races this weekend?

which restaurants would you recommend for some typical Isaan food?

any nice bars and pubs around?

thanks for your help!

Hallo!

husband and I are off to Khon Kaen for the long weekend and just wondered if any of you had tips and advice on things to do/see/eat?

for example, I heard there was a race track in Khon Kaen - will there be races this weekend?

thanks for your help!

A good source of info regarding Khon Kaen is the board www.khonkaen.com Nice group or people and well laid out board...

Pianoman

I live in Khon Ken but have never been to the races. Does anyone have any info. about this?

OP - you should go down to Boeng Kaen Nakhon - the lake and see the temples around it. The pic in my avatar is one of them. As for Isaan food, I don't eat it and don't like it.

snake farm, pattaya2, sofitel, phra tat kham kaen,

but in kkc is not really much to see. just relax and smell the isaan food neeranam mentioned

Gently disagree take a day BBQ/picnic and go to the Ubolrat Dam nice and relaxing, some very nice Temples, Drive around the lake nice at night - nice restaurants try the atmosphere at Eric's Bar -buy some pastries at the "Sofitel" not expensive - good meals at Steak House 23 near Kosa & Sofitel. Golf for the asking call Barry c/o Eric's and the list goes on - yes there is a race track & A ten pin bowling alley, cheap quality meals at Big C & Lotus food courts.

Hallo!

thanks for your help!

Hi

C'est Ci Bon! restraunt on Maliwan road opposite the main entrance to the University, best place i have found so far, good decor, great food, projector footy, nice live music, beautiful waitresses. saturday night has great vibe going on.

Leo's bar near Sofitel is a good place to start the evening, pool table, friendly staff.

The party house is a large open plan "pub" thats open until about 5 am (yes 5am! who said Esarn was boring!!!) serving food and beer........unmissable......see you there !!!!! :o:D

tuk tuk drivers will deliver you to any of these places.

For those Thai spelling experts out there notice the spelling of Ubolrat (mijan24) & Ubonrat(Neeranam).

Normally you could put it down to the Thai Alphabet which is probably correct even now - A large sign indicating this way to Ubo?rat Dam which you cant miss when travelling from KK to UDT is emblazoned with the spelling Ubolrat - some maps I have seen spell it Ubolrat some spell it Ubonrat.

It could be a trap for a stickler when travelling - imagine being advised - travel north until you reach a sign telling you to " Turn here for the Ubonrat Dam" the said traveller on arriving in UdonThani then says went straight past the turnoff to Ubolrat Dam but never ever came across the turn-off to the Ubonrat Dam??? I know a simple answer would be TiT buts thats a cop-out sometimes. :o

Edited by mijan24

The party house is a large open plan "pub" thats open until about 5 am (yes 5am! who said Esarn was boring!!!) serving food and beer........unmissable......see you there !!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
The service for food is bloody terrible! I won't be going back there in a hurry.
For those Thai spelling experts out there notice the spelling of Ubolrat (mijan24) & Ubonrat(Neeranam).

Normally you could put it down to the Thai Alphabet which is probably correct even now - A large sign indicating this way to Ubo?rat Dam which you cant miss when travelling from KK to UDT is emblazoned with the spelling Ubolrat - some maps I have seen spell it Ubolrat some spell it Ubonrat.

Actually the Thai spelling is consistent. It's the transliteration that changes. The which is 'L' becomes a 'N' when at the end of a consonant.

I spell it Ubon as that is how it sounds. Same as Udon thani.

Hallo!

thanks for your help!

Hi

C'est Ci Bon! restraunt on Maliwan road opposite the main entrance to the University, best place i have found so far, good decor, great food, projector footy, nice live music, beautiful waitresses. saturday night has great vibe going on.

Leo's bar near Sofitel is a good place to start the evening, pool table, friendly staff.

The party house is a large open plan "pub" thats open until about 5 am (yes 5am! who said Esarn was boring!!!) serving food and beer........unmissable......see you there !!!!! :o:D

tuk tuk drivers will deliver you to any of these places.

Although i am fairly new to KK agree with these suggestions - just need clarification on location of C'est Ci Bon would like to try this one out.

There is an outdoor restaurant part of the Kosa Hotel live serene music.

Sorrentos outdoor dining and good live music everynight, Khon Kaen Hotel (600> baht a night) good dining and karioke plus a good breakfast 50 baht if guest 100 baht non guest - the outdoor verandah is great early in the morning.

Klangmuang Mansion opposite Fairy Plaza (KFC side) good clean very rooms 400 baht per night. Dont forget the restaurant on the lake good dinging (hexy) feed the fish after dining.