The Worst Scam Message I'Ve Ever Seen

Murgatroyd

I got this message today which was supposed to come from Lloyds TSB, (With whom I don't even have an account). Some idiot had gone to all the trouble of designing a fairly convincing looking message, complete with the Lloyds logo etc, and then ruined the effect by using this text as the message:

Dear Customer,

Please note that we have just confirm that your account details is incorrect, we

advise you to verify in the correct details in other not too lose your account.

Why do they bother?

There was a guy that I used to follow (on his web site) many moons ago that took up each of these scams - including the usual African Princess scam - he published each letter/email/phone transcript on his web site. He acted like a typical gullable idiot and led them along - sometimes for months with questions back and forth. He even got a few to send him money (small money - ten pounds or so) to set up. He added comments along with each post - it was really quite funny. I eventually lost interest - tried to find the site with Google just now, but couldn't - shame really.

I am paranoid about these sorts of things and delete anything slightly suspicious (including a legitimate email my wife got for being late paying her credit card balance of $35 and ended up with her getting a threat letter in the post 'cos I ignored it - ooops!). I have chased a few of these down back-tracing to the owners of the site etc and even complaining to their ISP's once or twice - sometimes I get a little carried away. I once traced it back to a hotmail account (embedded in a hoax web site) and (erm) accessed the email account - which lead on to some others - it was kind of fun, I got to the persons own personal emal account (he was actually in the UK, not Africa or China as I expected!) - any way I "accidentally" cancelled his car insurance, edited his profile in a dating site he was signed up for (suddenly he was a gay man after other gay men with certain fetishes over 50) and signed him up for a full set of leather bound Encyclopaedia Brittanica. Some of these people have no idea how to cover their tracks - God knows why the police can't put more of them away!

My Mrs got one of those scratch cards free in a magazine with the usual junk flyers etc and low-and-behold she won - I tried to tell her everyone wins and you don't actually ever get anything unless you pay out much more - anyway she ignored me and called it in, and was sent a gold neclace and a cheque for 50 pounds! Left me completely dumb founded - she didn't give anything other han address and email address (which was optional) and the company cheque cleared no problems. Only down side is she gets one more junk mail letter in her inbox each month. She says, "I'm not stupid - I'm not going to send anyone money. If its a trick then they get nothing, if its not then I get something"

I used to bank with Lloyds TSB. They are just crap enough to do something that unprofessional. They will never see my money again.

Once upon a time I had my company account at Lloyds (Black Horse) and my personal savings account at TSB (current account at Nat West) - all were fine (other than Nat West charges!) until the world went mad and all of the banks started merging and buying each other out. Midland went to HSBC(I think) - Woolwich into Barclays - Natwest into the much smaller RBoS (now there was something that should have been scrutanuzed - how to buy a company 5 times your size by borrowing money from it, buying it and then paying it back with its own profits!) - Lloyds TSB merger - Abbey to Santandare - etc.

Last year I was bored one month and corresponded with a Nigerian in Scotland.

I eventually got him to send me a photo of himself holding up a sign saying 'I can confirm I am the hotel chef and I have sheeps testicles'.....it was a long drawn out exchange that involved him buying me haggis made from sheeps testicles in return to believe him and help with his missing funds.

There was a guy that I used to follow (on his web site) many moons ago that took up each of these scams - including the usual African Princess scam - he published each letter/email/phone transcript on his web site. He acted like a typical gullable idiot and led them along - sometimes for months with questions back and forth. He even got a few to send him money (small money - ten pounds or so) to set up. He added comments along with each post - it was really quite funny. I eventually lost interest - tried to find the site with Google just now, but couldn't - shame really.

I am paranoid about these sorts of things and delete anything slightly suspicious (including a legitimate email my wife got for being late paying her credit card balance of $35 and ended up with her getting a threat letter in the post 'cos I ignored it - ooops!). I have chased a few of these down back-tracing to the owners of the site etc and even complaining to their ISP's once or twice - sometimes I get a little carried away. I once traced it back to a hotmail account (embedded in a hoax web site) and (erm) accessed the email account - which lead on to some others - it was kind of fun, I got to the persons own personal emal account (he was actually in the UK, not Africa or China as I expected!) - any way I "accidentally" cancelled his car insurance, edited his profile in a dating site he was signed up for (suddenly he was a gay man after other gay men with certain fetishes over 50) and signed him up for a full set of leather bound Encyclopaedia Brittanica. Some of these people have no idea how to cover their tracks - God knows why the police can't put more of them away!

My Mrs got one of those scratch cards free in a magazine with the usual junk flyers etc and low-and-behold she won - I tried to tell her everyone wins and you don't actually ever get anything unless you pay out much more - anyway she ignored me and called it in, and was sent a gold neclace and a cheque for 50 pounds! Left me completely dumb founded - she didn't give anything other han address and email address (which was optional) and the company cheque cleared no problems. Only down side is she gets one more junk mail letter in her inbox each month. She says, "I'm not stupid - I'm not going to send anyone money. If its a trick then they get nothing, if its not then I get something"

Could you be talking about 419eater?

It’s a hilarious site. Check out the mail treads in “Letters Archive”.

There are more suckers than you think.

A friend of mine tried to access his bank account

but for some reason was diverted to a different bank web site.

He still tried to enter his id and password at the prompt....................

How dumb can you get???????????? :o

There are more suckers than you think.

A friend of mine tried to access his bank account

but for some reason was diverted to a different bank web site.

He still tried to enter his id and password at the prompt....................

How dumb can you get???????????? :o

these banks better increase their net-banking security.

did the guy lose all his money sitting in the bank?

Edited by dunkin2012

Could you be talking about 419eater?

It’s a hilarious site. Check out the mail treads in “Letters Archive”.

It's the ebola monkey man site...some funny stuff there..

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

I used to bank with Lloyds TSB. They are just crap enough to do something that unprofessional. They will never see my money again.

You do realize that was not Lloyds TSB, do you? Your bank has no fault, you just have to keep your computer safe and your eyes opened

these banks better increase their net-banking security.

did the guy lose all his money sitting in the bank?

Fortunately not.

The online services offered by the bank are little more than balance view

and transfers between his own accounts.