Bangkok Bank Visa Debit Card And Atm Card

Just back from the bank getting myself a new ATM card. I have been wanting to change to the B1st Visa debit card that can be used also in shops and globally, but have stuck to the ATM card only - for safety reasons.

A thief would need to know the pin code to use the ATM card at all(for cash) while the B1st Visa debit card can run up a quick bill fast doing shopping with just a fake signature (and may through the thiefs friend running a little shop accepting Visa...).

But I asked the kind lady whether I could have TWO cards as occasionally it is nice to have a Visa back-up card tucked away - especially when travelling. That was no problem so I now have the basic ATM card (which I normally have with me in Thailand) AND the B1st Visa debit card (which is in the safe for emergencies and brought for specific purchases and when I travel only).

In addition the bank now offers to get your picture on the B1st card which I also requested (no extra charge).

Both cards are connected to the same (savings) account.

Oh; and they currently have a promotion where they gave me a free watch (and a green tea :o ) for signing up to the B1st card.

Edited by Firefan

Andy; interesting - is yours the B1st card? Other posters here have reported no problems using the card abroad. I will ask the nice lady when I am near the bank next time but the homepage is pretty clear:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ard/default.htm :

"With your Be1st Bangkok Bank Visa Electron card you can buy goods and services at more than 40,000 establishments in Thailand and eight million outlets worldwide.

It can be used, not only in Thailand, but worldwide, wherever you see the PLUS sign.

It only costs 100 Bt to get your own Be1st card with an annual fee of 200Bt. "

One point is that it need to be under the PLUS network which might be the problem you encountered?

Cheers!

ps. it can not be used on the internet

Try an internet shop somewhere outside, would like to know if it works.

Just back from the bank getting myself a new ATM card. I have been wanting to change to the B1st Visa debit card that can be used also in shops and globally, but have stuck to the ATM card only - for safety reasons.

A thief would need to know the pin code to use the ATM card at all(for cash) while the B1st Visa debit card can run up a quick bill fast doing shopping with just a fake signature (and may through the thiefs friend running a little shop accepting Visa...).

But I asked the kind lady whether I could have TWO cards as occasionally it is nice to have a Visa back-up card tucked away - especially when travelling. That was no problem so I now have the basic ATM card (which I normally have with me in Thailand) AND the B1st Visa debit card (which is in the safe for emergencies and brought for specific purchases and when I travel only).

In addition the bank now offers to get your picture on the B1st card which I also requested (no extra charge).

Oh; and they currently have a promotion where they gave me a free watch (and a green tea  :o ) for signing up to the B1st card.

Try an internet shop somewhere outside, would like to know if it works.

Oh; and they currently have a promotion where they gave me a free watch (and a green tea  :o ) for signing up to the B1st card.

No this card does not work for purchasing on the net , if thats what you are thinking of. Visa electron is only for purchases if you are physically in the store. Not the same as a normal visa card.

Edited by COBBER

ok , I also have one card will check to use it hear and inform you.

i have 3 kinds of ATM from BKK BANK, 1st is the blue one which can be use only in thailand. 2nd is the BULUANG ATM CARD, which can be use internationally as long as the ATM has a +PLUS sign. and 3rd is the VISA ELECTRON (B1st VISA debit card) which can use also out of thailand. but wat i experience with the B1st card is, if the establishment doesnt have any authorization for that card they will charge you a service fee. (fee=depends with the establishment). so please be aware of using your B1st card. the BULUANG ATM card have a maximum withdrawal of 50K(baht) per day and B1st is 150Kbaht per day. but if you are out of thailand it is depend to the foreign bank. For every withdrawal (any amount) BKK bank is charging 75baht. Reminder: the blue ATM (local use) details when you use to withdraw in BKK bank machine sometimes in thai language.

The B1st visa card is NOT a visa debit card!!!!!

It is a regular atm card backed by the visa network! It states clearly it is only for electronic use.

As such it can indeed be used worldwide, but only in places where they have a terminal allowing you to enter your PIN number.

In Europe this means almost every retailshop, fuel station and quite a few restaurants.

From Bangkok's bank website:

12. Can I use my Be1st card outside Thailand?

You can enjoy the freedom of Be1st in 60 countries worldwide. Altogether there are more than 8 million Point-of-Sale terminals that are able to process Visa Electron transactions.

Source:Be1st

This clearly states that the shop needs a point of sales terminal accepting the visa electron card (which has a small unit where you can enter your pin, I've seen them locally installed recently in 7/11 stores)

It is not possible to make a payment based on the signature, they can't even pull the card through the old style slip machine since your name and card number is only printed, and not pressed into the card. This is incidentaly the way to recognize a real visa debit card, your name and the cardnumber being pressed into the card! It will also clearly state that is is a debit card...

So seeing the visa sign on a shop's window is not a gurantee you can pay with B1st, it has to have the Visa Electron sign!

Same reason why you can't use the card on the net, these systems are based on visa and not visa electron. A real visa debit card can be used on the net...

THe B1st card also lacks the 3 digit verification number in the area where you sign...

So there is indeed no risk of thieves running up a bill without knowing your pin-code!