Fine Dining In Bangkok

ExpatOilWorker

Has anybody come across some really good dining in or around Bangkok?

Lets for a moment forget the 5-star hotels or roof top restaurants. What I am looking for is suggestion about unique (Italian, Spanish, French, etc) restaurants run by a dedicated chef.

Any recommendations?

Michelin Star? Closest you'll get is Le Normandie. Although, nothing in BKK comes close to Per Se, French Laundry, Masa...

Dining scene is not what I expected of a metropolitan city like Bangkok.

In this neck of the woods, your best bets for Michelin stars or diamonds is Tokyo.

I rather like Le Cafe Siam, which is off Sathorn Soi 1. And my favorite Italian restaurant is Zanottis on Soi Saladeang 1.I think Bangkok is a city of "good food" rather than "great food." Seafood, Japanese, and Italian seem to generally be quite good. Via Vai, for example, while not in the running for a Michelin Star, offers decent food at a decent price.

As far as Thai food goes, rarely do I find a hi-end restaurant which can beat any of a handful of neighborhood restaurants at which I eat.

I agree. Often I've found the cheap hole-in-the-walls to be the best.

I rather like Le Cafe Siam, which is off Sathorn Soi 1. And my favorite Italian restaurant is Zanottis on Soi Saladeang 1.I think Bangkok is a city of "good food" rather than "great food." Seafood, Japanese, and Italian seem to generally be quite good. Via Vai, for example, while not in the running for a Michelin Star, offers decent food at a decent price.

As far as Thai food goes, rarely do I find a hi-end restaurant which can beat any of a handful of neighborhood restaurants at which I eat.

The Face Complex on Sukhumvit Soi 38 (Link) has some very high end food in classy surroundings.

Soi Thong Lo has a few upmarket places also, and there are a few more dotted around Sukhumvit & Silom.

The Michelin Guide hasn't covered Thailand yet. If it did, I think there might be a few 1-star places, and somewhere like Le Normandie might push for 2 stars.

I'm a bit confused about just how fine you want your dining to be but I like the tapas place on the Suk off Soi 11......good food.

I don't mean fine in the sense of location and elaborate decoration. I am looking for food that will send the taste buds to heaven. I will try Le Beaulieu tonight and then head over to Cowboy. Haven't been there in ages.

The Face Complex on Sukhumvit Soi 38 (Link) has some very high end food in classy surroundings.

Soi Thong Lo has a few upmarket places also, and there are a few more dotted around Sukhumvit & Silom.

The Michelin Guide hasn't covered Thailand yet. If it did, I think there might be a few 1-star places, and somewhere like Le Normandie might push for 2 stars.

Interesting - where would you recommend for a visit?

3 French Restaurants:

4 Garcons in Thonglor area

Bon Jour in Ekamai area

Le. Beaulieu - Suk 19

Le Beaulieu really is fine dining. 5-star food, service and beautiful restaurant. At B2,350++ for a 4 course set dinner, price match the quality.

Roasted quail salad as a starter and the beef was so tender and taste for the main course. GREAT food.

Will try Zanottis next.

As far as Michelin starred places go you won't find any here because Thailand is yet to be included in the guide, as an earlier post pointed out, however there certainly are places in Bangkok of that standard in my opinion.

Some examples off the top off my head (and yes I'm sorry but three are in hotels):

The Thai restaurant Nahm, sister restaurant of Michelin starred Nahm in London. Indian fine dining using molecular cooking techniques at Gaggan, Soi Langsuan (not in a hotel), run by an ex employee of the famous 3-starred El Bulli in Spain, voted best restaurant in the world an amazing five times. Sra Bua, the molecular based Thai restaurant run by the people behind Michelin starred Kiin Kiin in Copenhagen, Denmark. And D'Sens at the Dusit Thani, co-owned and overseen by the 3-starred Pourcel brothers from France.

A few examples hilighting the fact there undoubtably is fine dining available of Michelin star quality, and although maybe not the cheapest option prices are very resonable compared to having the same dining experience in a major Wetern capital city. Alternatively, as the OP is ExpatOilWorker and familiar with Soi Cowboy, perhaps a visit to Offshore Fish n Chips on soi 23 is more appropriate! As for Italian I too can vouch for Zanotti over on Saladaeng.

Good luck with your gastronomic adventures and enjoy :)

As far as Michelin starred places go you won't find any here because Thailand is yet to be included in the guide, as an earlier post pointed out, however there certainly are places in Bangkok of that standard in my opinion.

Some examples off the top off my head (and yes I'm sorry but three are in hotels):

The Thai restaurant Nahm, sister restaurant of Michelin starred Nahm in London. Indian fine dining using molecular cooking techniques at Gaggan, Soi Langsuan (not in a hotel), run by an ex employee of the famous 3-starred El Bulli in Spain, voted best restaurant in the world an amazing five times. Sra Bua, the molecular based Thai restaurant run by the people behind Michelin starred Kiin Kiin in Copenhagen, Denmark. And D'Sens at the Dusit Thani, co-owned and overseen by the 3-starred Pourcel brothers from France.

A few examples hilighting the fact there undoubtably is fine dining available of Michelin star quality, and although maybe not the cheapest option prices are very resonable compared to having the same dining experience in a major Wetern capital city. Alternatively, as the OP is ExpatOilWorker and familiar with Soi Cowboy, perhaps a visit to Offshore Fish n Chips on soi 23 is more appropriate! As for Italian I too can vouch for Zanotti over on Saladaeng.

Thanks for th tip on Soi Langsuan. I've got to try it, especially as El Bulli is closing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for th tip on Soi Langsuan. I've got to try it, especially as El Bulli is closing.

try Guisto on Sukhumvit Soi 23 - good Italian food, good wine selection and a knowledgeable, albeit taciturn, sommelier. Fat Fish in Sukhmvit Soi 31 is also quite good - not Michelin but pretty good, Angelini at the Shangrila is also very good Italian - in great surroundings (Ok I know it is in a hotel but it is still good) and so is Biscotti at the Four Seasons on Rajadamri. You won't be disappointed with any of these. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

The French place in suk 19 is good

But my French is not good enough to be able to spell the name :P

Ps. I notice it's been recommended by a few others on this thread too.....

Le cafe Siam is lovely. But I'm surprised it's managed to stay open. Whenever I've been there weren't many customers. Not many seem to know of it's existence - perhaps of it's hard to find location?

But well worth the effort. For those who are interested - it's on Chue Plueng road (off Rama 4, near the express way)

Great food, relaxed atmosphere, including garden seating, candle lights etc. Could be a nice romantic dinner. As long as your date doesn't get frightened off when u drive down the road off Rama 4 :P

jap.gif

" Alternatively, as the OP is ExpatOilWorker and familiar with Soi Cowboy, perhaps a visit to Offshore Fish n Chips on soi 23 is more appropriate!"

laugh.gif

3 French Restaurants:

4 Garcons in Thonglor area

Bon Jour in Ekamai area

Le. Beaulieu - Suk 19

Ty 4 ur recommendation! Awesome! :lol:

Another French restaurant worth adding to the list is Eve at the Hansar hotel at Ratchadamri Road (http://www.hansarbangkok.com/eve). Really good food and awesome service, decoration and open kitchen.

Keep them coming, we all need to eat every day.

jap.gif

" Alternatively, as the OP is ExpatOilWorker and familiar with Soi Cowboy, perhaps a visit to Offshore Fish n Chips on soi 23 is more appropriate!"

laugh.gif

Offshore Fish 'n Chips is on my list, but a late night and after a few Heineken at the C-Soi. Sound like a might meet a few TV poster there!

Just tried Gai & Joel at the left hand side near the Lumpini Park end of Soi Langsuan. Really great and well priced set lunch at 390, 490 or 690++. Worth a visit.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker