Locanda Italian Doi Saket

mallmagician

Finally got around to trying the lasagna at La Lanterna Di Genova. I don't know, maybe that's the way lasagna is supposed to be but it wasn't what I was expecting.

I agree. IMO Pratties had GOOD lasagna, but right now La Lanterna Di Genova has the best in town that I know of, but it is not what I prefer if I have a choice.

OP.

I thought the wife and I would try locanda at doi saket last night. Drove the 15 kms at 6pm to find it closed.

Driving 15 km just for have a meal. :rolleyes:

No offense intended.

Yes. We are fortunate enough to own a vehicle and a sense of reckless adventure. :s

I live in San Sai, and we fancied an Italian meal. The nearest places are Arcobalenos, a pizza place on the 108, and Locanda, which we had never tried.

I fail to see the point of your post. In your world, do you only eat within a certain distance of your home?

OP.

I thought the wife and I would try locanda at doi saket last night. Drove the 15 kms at 6pm to find it closed.

No offense intended.

Yes. We are fortunate enough to own a vehicle and a sense of reckless adventure. :s

I live in San Sai, and we fancied an Italian meal. The nearest places are Arcobalenos, a pizza place on the 108, and Locanda, which we had never tried.

I fail to see the point of your post. In your world, do you only eat within a certain distance of your home?

I fail to see the point of his post as well. Maybe he doesn't enjoy a family outing?

OP.

No offense intended.

I fail to see the point of his post as well. Maybe he doesn't enjoy a family outing?

it's all about the drive out there apparently!

Just needs to add a few extra lyrics about wasting time and never being open! :)

.....from personal experience its best to call first, and then be told they are not open! One day I'll be able to try this place, it's become a personal mission of mine, 4th time lucky I'm hoping. Just not right now, below from the website!

"Good day everybody! OUR LOCANDA WILL STAY CLOSED UNTIL MID-AUGUST, AS WE ARE IN A CULINARY TRIP TO ITALY AND TICINO!! SEE YOU IN AUGUST,THEN, TO CHECK OUT WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED FROM THE MASTERS!!!! BUON APPETITO AND Best Regards Roberto and Darunee Villa-Conti "

OP.

No offense intended.

Geeze, I thought that I don't get out much but that takes the cake? 15km is too far to stray from home? I used to jog further than that.

Finally got around to trying the lasagna at La Lanterna Di Genova. I don't know, maybe that's the way lasagna is supposed to be but it wasn't what I was expecting.

I agree. IMO Pratties had GOOD lasagna, but right now La Lanterna Di Genova has the best in town that I know of, but it is not what I prefer if I have a choice.

Though it's not Italian-style at all (as they specifically point out on their menu), I by far prefer the Duke's lasagna to what they serve at that place. Might be an squired taste though, intially I tried the Duke's lasagna because a couple of buddies were raving about it but I didn't like it at first because I thought it to be just too heavy of meal. It struck me as the sort of food that 300 pound mafia guys eat in New Jersey. Now I'm starting to come around though. Still would prefer to eat at Giorgio's over Duke's though.

. . . So, where is the best Italian in cm?

Of the places I know, I like Casa Antonio best.

To help you judge my recommendation, though, I like Arcobaleno quite well too, particularly their pasta dishes. I've never tried their bruschetta.

Nothing wrong with Arebelono's, I love the place too. Though I notice that they seem to attack a lot more affluent Thais than Italian expats. Not sure if that 's an more an indication that that Acahebelnos's food is is not very authentically Itialian or that local Italians are not as likely as affluent Thais to spend 500 baht per head for a meal.

OP.

No offense intended.

it's all about the drive out there apparently!

Just needs to add a few extra lyrics about wasting time and never being open! :)

.....from personal experience its best to call first, and then be told they are not open! One day I'll be able to try this place, it's become a personal mission of mine, 4th time lucky I'm hoping. Just not right now, below from the website!

"Good day everybody! OUR LOCANDA WILL STAY CLOSED UNTIL MID-AUGUST, AS WE ARE IN A CULINARY TRIP TO ITALY AND TICINO!! SEE YOU IN AUGUST,THEN, TO CHECK OUT WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED FROM THE MASTERS!!!! BUON APPETITO AND Best Regards Roberto and Darunee Villa-Conti "

The restaurant has all the hallmarks of a place being bankrolled by an expat who has income from elsewhere and is operating the restaurant mostly for his Thai wife to have sometihing to do. So if she sleeps late, the restaurant opens late or not at all, and either way it doesn't ruin the day of the guy who is footing the bills. The place does have pretty good food when it's open though.