Wat Charoenbhavana

mrbojangles

Just for information people, to those interested. Wat Charoenbhavana, the Thai Temple in Manchester, UK, is celebrating "End of Buddhist Lent" on Sunday 23 October and "Kathina Robe Offering Day" on Sunday 6 November.

I have never been to any of these celebrations but Mrs BoJangles wants us to go.

Could any of the more "Buddhism" experts, please give me some information on these celebrations. The history and the reason etc. Many thanks.

P.S. All will be welcome, to any of you in the vacinity.

ahh, my home town ... I used to live in Altrincham. havn't been there in 10 years. I think that the temple is in Salford of all places - is that the one. If so it is a branch of Wat

dhammakaya I believe.

Kathina is the offering of robes (or robes material) to the monks after the 3 months rains retreat during which time they stay in one place under one teacher. As the rains retreat ends, they can go off wandering and so have special privileges to collect and sew up cloth.

These days you will likely offer a money tree, and some ready made robes to each of the monks. Let us know what the temple is like.

The Vasa is also being celebrated at Wat Pah Santidhamma (The Forest Hermitage) at Sherborne (near Warwick) on Sunday 23rd October.

I think that the temple is in Salford of all places - is that the one. If so it is a branch of Wat

dhammakaya I believe.

yeah, that's the one.

Let us know what the temple is like.

The Temple is really nice. They have 4 Thai Monks and a Falang Monk (who lived in Thai for more than 20 years). I go every week (been going for 6 months or so) for Thai lessons. Mrs BoJangles came over 3 weeks ago and she comes with me every week. It's also good for her to talk with other Thai's etc. they're a really nice bunch.

thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...
I think that the temple is in Salford of all places - is that the one. If so it is a branch of Wat

dhammakaya I believe.

yeah, that's the one.

Let us know what the temple is like.

The Temple is really nice. They have 4 Thai Monks and a Falang Monk (who lived in Thai for more than 20 years). I go every week (been going for 6 months or so) for Thai lessons. Mrs BoJangles came over 3 weeks ago and she comes with me every week. It's also good for her to talk with other Thai's etc. they're a really nice bunch.

thanks for the info.

There is also a really nice buddhist place right in the centre of Manchester in the Northern Quarter. I forget the name of the street but its within spitting distance of the arndale. I think they practice western buddhism. Anyway i mention this because it is a fantastic place to chill out right amongst the hubub of a busy city. Because it is in a converted victorian warehouse, the walls are thick and it keeps the noise out. Also had a lovely vegan restaurant underneath called "Earth"