Looking For A Loft Ladder

Greenside

So am i .Have not seen one in Thailand .BTW i went up my loft yesterday and the heat up there was increadible .You could not touch the metal supporting bars .My loft has insulation to keep the heat from going down below .

As for the ladder - try global house, or just have one made at a metal fabricating shop.

Global House: "mai mee"

Getting one made sounds easier than it is since there are latches and balancing issues you have to get right to avoid getting killed by your own cleverness! It may yet be that it comes down to doing our own...

True value have them,the version in wood 15000 Baht,the aluminium version 43000 Baht or something near that.I currently making one myself using those folding ladders you can buy at Homepro and homeworks for 2900 Baht.

By the way,true value is in Pattaya,but I think they are part of the Haefele group so you could try out Haefele.

Edited by janverbeem

True value have them,the version in wood 15000 Baht,the aluminium version 43000 Baht or something near that.I currently making one myself using those folding ladders you can buy at Homepro and homeworks for 2900 Baht.

By the way,true value is in Pattaya,but I think they are part of the Haefele group so you could try out Haefele.

Yes; Janverbeem is right; these drop-down Attic-Ladders (exactly like in your picture !)are available at True-Value Hardware stores; there's one in Pattaya and another one (much larger) in Chonburi, not far from Makro (and on the same side of Sukhumvit Rd.).

True Value Hardware Stores and Hafele are not part of the same group; in Pattaya Hafele rents spae in the TVH building (fist-floor).

As far as that incredible heat gathering under the roof in that roof-space (or attic/loft): Most Thai' builders "line" the underside of the actual roof with a layer of sissilation (an alu-foil sheet), which then virtually "seals" that 'sandwich' consisting of Roof-Tile <> Sisilation.

Now; since hot-air 'rises', this continuous building-up of hot-air is unable to dissipate; hence the uncomfortable effect AND your high air-conditioning bills !

The interestig thing is that all Roofing-Tiles manufactured in Thailand are specifically designed to be "Self-Venting", so the LAST thing one should do, is to SEAL them from below !

It is much more effective (and considerably cheaper !) to NOT install that 'under-roof-alufoil', but instead place 2"~4" Thermal Insulation 'Blankets' (Fiberglass-wrapped-in-Alu-foil) on top of the ceilings of the dwelling. This renders a FAR better insulation for where you NEED insulation, namely in the rooms where you live & sleep.

In addition; it is useful to have venting (allows air to circulate)in that attic/loft space, by installing perforated soffit-boards at opposing ends of the dwelling.

If anyone would like some details of the above, just PM me,no problem.

In the entire 'Thermal-Insulation Game', there are three (3) types of "heat" to combat:

1. Radiation (Accomplished by Reflective Materials, such as Alu-Foil)

2. Convection (Accomplished by Heat-Transfer Preventor (such as Fiberglass)

3. Ambient Temperature (Keep doors & windows closed when air-conditioning running)

Now; don't forget: It is 7x more expensive to COOL a liquid or a gas, then it is to HEAT them to the same degree ! !

That's why, in Thailand, it is very important to have the correct Thermal Insulation installed, if you want to save a considerable amount of money !

Cheers

JaapFries

post-10410-0-42499000-1310081708_thumb.j

Edited by jaapfries

We do have a "proper" loft with a load bearing floor in contrast to most Thai houses (which explains the rarity of loft ladders, I guess). Given the density of new developments, there will presumably come a time when the extra cost of including a loft storage space will be considered worthwhile - I notice that the first thing that many people do when they move into a brand new house is tack some kind of shanty town lean-to on the side so sooner or later some developer will see it as a selling point.

We will have ceiling insulation as well as foil under the tiles and louvres for ventilation but at this point I have no idea how effective the combination will prove.

Anyway, no True Value Hardware stores here in Chiang Mai as far as I know so back to the drawing board.

As for the ladder - try global house, or just have one made at a metal fabricating shop.

Global House: "mai mee"

Getting one made sounds easier than it is since there are latches and balancing issues you have to get right to avoid getting killed by your own cleverness! It may yet be that it comes down to doing our own...

It doesn't necessarily need to be self-balancing. When I lived in the UK we had a simple aluminium ladder that was in three sections with latches. You opened the hatch, then manually pulled the ladder down with a pole with a hook on the end of it. Then you adjusted the length using the latches.

something like this...

slide-and-hide-loft-ladder.jpg