Aesop'S Fables In Thai And English

ChristianPFC

In February, I was at the Ekkamai bus station waiting for a bus to Pattaya. There was a mobile bookseller, who had books with Aesop's fables, Thai on one side and English on the other side. There were 50 fables in a book and there were two volumes (or maybe more, they had different covers, I didn't compare the contents, it looked rather like the standard and the "de luxe" edition with a shiny cover). They were quite cheap (150 or 200 baht per book if I remember correctly). At that time, my level of Thai was not sufficient to read them, but now they would be very useful. Does anyone know these books and can tell me where I can buy them? I did not see this bookseller on other occasions I was at the bus station, nor do I remember seeing these books elsewhere.

I have also seen Aesop's fables in Thai and English. But they were tiny books, one fable per book, I think. I don't know how much they cost but the ones I'm talking about couldn't have been more than 20 or 30 baht, I'd guess. Have you tried searching online?

Also, if you use iTunes you can listen to podcasts of eight fables. Search iTunes podcast directory for Aesop's fables, and / or Spoken Thai. I've got them and they're pretty useful. The lady reading the fables reads them like she's READING them, and not like she's relating a story to you. They're useful just the same. And, they have a website too, just Google Spoken Thai and you'll find them.

This Spoken Thai website is part of Paknam Web Forums. I just found a post where, I guess it's the administrator of the forum, was selling a set of books of Aesop's Fables in Thai. The thread is from 2007 so who knows if they're still selling them. Go to Paknam Web Forums and ask the guy with the blue shirt in the picture.

I think that TV policy prohibits posting links to websites so PM me and I'll send you a link.

I think I saw these books with a few fables somewhere on the web or in real life, but those I'm talking about had really 50 fables in them. I did a search on the web some time ago, and what I found was similar to what you are reporting.

I think I saw these books with a few fables somewhere on the web or in real life, but those I'm talking about had really 50 fables in them. I did a search on the web some time ago, and what I found was similar to what you are reporting.

I have been using these for around 10 years now since my days at Dale Carnegie Thailand running an activity 'Bringing Text To Life' for one of the presentation workshops. Depending on what the level of English or Thai is, I will use only English, English + Thai or just Thai with different groups. By acting them out and hamming them up, they're a great tool for foreigners to start to become expressive in Thai, Thais to become more expressive in English ... and everyone to become more expressive in their mother tongues (if their mother tongues are English or Thai). I've also done similar things with the same fables in Chinese with groups in China. The messages in the fables seem to be universal. I made my own Thai compilation from this site - http://www.fungdham.com/fable/fable.html. It wouldn't be too hard to make your own compilation up by translating the title of the fables you want into English and then doing a search to find the English version of the fable and then cut and paste them together into one document.

I forgot I have an Aesop Fable book with 50 fables in Thai and English

plus a vocab list for each story. I bought it in one of the mall bookstores,

can’t remeber where or when.

isbn 978-974-9901-15-1

post-28513-0-23145500-1310441604_thumb.j

I've got this, but can't remember which of the following I got it from, but probably available in all three:

i. any branch of Se-ed in Bangkok.

ii. Chamjuri Square at the Sam Yaan subway stop has loads of bookshops (including Se-ed) that stock books for kids and young adults.

iii. Another good place is the TBT Book tower on Sathorn road, 6 floors of books, mostly in Thai or Thai-English (take the skytrain from Siam Square to Surasak station, then walk back up the road a couple of hundred metres or hop on a win-motorcy. TBT is opposite Soi 11).

Edit: you want the 4th floor for Aesop's fables.

Edited by badmedicine

I have been using these for around 10 years now since my days at Dale Carnegie Thailand running an activity 'Bringing Text To Life' for one of the presentation workshops. Depending on what the level of English or Thai is, I will use only English, English + Thai or just Thai with different groups. By acting them out and hamming them up, they're a great tool for foreigners to start to become expressive in Thai, Thais to become more expressive in English ... and everyone to become more expressive in their mother tongues (if their mother tongues are English or Thai). I've also done similar things with the same fables in Chinese with groups in China. The messages in the fables seem to be universal. I made my own Thai compilation from this site - http://www.fungdham....ble/fable.html. It wouldn't be too hard to make your own compilation up by translating the title of the fables you want into English and then doing a search to find the English version of the fable and then cut and paste them together into one document.

Hi

Thank you for the link. :)

• 8 months later...

There is a free app for iPad called Aesop Lite. It has 5 fables written in Thai and English plus an animated video where they read a line in English and then in Thai. Also more volumes are available at $1.99 per 10 fables.

• Like 1

You can get them at Kinokuniya at Siam Paragon on the third floor.

They are fantastic!! and fun!

they have a lot of bilingual books there including the Aesop s fables (both in a series of 10 books with 5 fables per book, or in the big anthology collection books)

you can find them in the Thai childrens books section which is next to the English childrens books section.

There s not a special section for bilingual books though, they are just mixed in with the Thai childrens books, so you need to do a bit of combing through, but it s not hard. i just loaded up with a bunch of books that should do me for the next year. i bought some upper level books as well to set as my goal: a bilingual scooby doo book as well the diary for a wimpy kid one copy in thai and another copy in english.

good luck!