Warning, Tropical Bar, Soi 2.

mike100

Been to this bar 2 or 3 times without a problem, but tonight got caught out on the 500/1,000 baht scam.

Check Bin came to 515 baht including a lady drink, and gave them 1,000 to cover it.

After waiting a while for my change I was told that I only gave them 500 baht and shouldn’t expect any change.

I pointed out that if this was the case, why did they not ask me for the extra 15 baht. They couldn’t explain this and asked me to leave the bar.

I left wondering if I could have possibly made a mistake. but outside the lady who check binned me followed me out and said sorry, she knew I gave a 1,000 baht note, but could do nothing about it as she didn’t want to loose her job.

Went back a few minutes later and agued with the manager, but basically got F*cked off with a knowing smile, and a few threats.

Told him I was going to post this all over the internet, but he said they didn’t care about the internet as they had been established a long while, and nobody would care less.

Also I could not really care less about the 485 baht, but hate to be scammed.

Care People, give this Soi Two Topical bar a wide birth.

Mike.

good report mike100, these people need to be shut down , Tonys is another place for that carry on , my son got a right load of abuse from Tonys hench men , and i have heard of quite a few others who have been caught up in this scam , i always change my 1000 s before going to a bar , sad state of affairs

Name them and shame them!!

Perhaps we could have a 'Rouge's Gallery'....

...Whilst some cynics may suggest my Avatar would indicate otherwise. I do believe in the rule of the law. When applied selectively to suit me of course. :o

Name them and shame them!!

...Whilst some cynics may suggest my Avatar would indicate otherwise. I do believe in the rule of the law. When applied selectively to suit me of course.  :o

great idea , one big problem how are you going to find the time to list every bar in Pattaya , there is always someone getting riped of in every bar ,

Boycott the place, and hopefully they'll be forced to close down. Why would anyone go to a bar where the manager has been seen threatening punters with guns!!!!  :o

Been friends with the manager for years he always looks out for me, he wouldn't ever harm me.

His other bar got closed down but he opened a new one, he'll only keep opening new ones.

I've only ever had that problem with the change once but as soon as I told him he sorted it out and went mad at the staff.

That hardly bodes well for the rest of us then if youve been friends with the boss for years and they try it on with you........:o

Edit.....wonder why his other bar got closed down?...... :D

Edited by thaiflyer1

Sounds like a scum bag , is he Thai or Farang ?

Thai.

I've only ever had that problem with the change once but as soon as I told him he sorted it out and went mad at the staff.

That reminds me of an incident at the Penthouse Hotel a good few years ago. The Cashier was up to her old tricks of short-changing by twenty baht.

On the way to golf I told Ian (RIP mate), one of the owners, about it. His reaction was odd to say the least. His words were something along the lines of: "Oh Christ, is she at it again? Anyway, I told her never to try it on with you as I knew you would spot it and make a fuss!"

I suppose I should have felt flattered... :o

Don't know the guy but could have told you he was Thai just from the description of what happened. Live for the day, get money today, forget tomorrow, falang always wrong attitude.

When paying with a 1,000 note I always show it to the cashier and say '1,000 yes, 1,000 sure'.

Had it happened to me I would have whipped out the mobile and called the TP. I hear if they are called to a bar its a minimum 5,000 baht from the bar owner for them to go away again whatever happened.

Will make a point when passing by to say to the greeters 'I no drink her. Boss steal from customer'. Won't make any difference but still.

I no drink her.  Boss steal from customer'.  Won't make any difference but still.

And add, that you saw it on the internet. Mike told him he "was going to post this all over the internet, but he said they didn’t care about the internet as they had been established a long while, and nobody would care less". It might teach him a lesson :o

Care People, give this Soi Two Topical bar a wide birth.

Wide birth from me. I hate this type of sh1t

I agree. We don't need to list every bar, just the one's who try to fleece customers.

The only problem is there are always some people who will abuse this. Maybe they have a grudge against a certain owner/establishment, it's good to know where we should avoid, but how do we make sure everyone is telling the truth. Also often it's one person up to tricks, not the whole bar, should a business be subjected to having it's name dirtied if it's just one rouge employee, that maybe the business owner doesn't know about.

You may often find farang business owners being taken advantage of by the staff, should they be subjected to even more punishment.

There's a few places i'd like to name and shame though :o

I've been with the OP to Soi 2 yesterday, different bars though. Both still alive. :D

The worst thing is getting intimidated because that bar owner is so dangerous/rich/well connected/whatever. You really think he would go to that other bar if he spots you there to knock you over? Much too much hassle!

I think it's great having people around with some moral courage making scammers public - because this is the only way to stop them.

:o

Boycott the place, and hopefully they'll be forced to close down. Why would anyone go to a bar where the manager has been seen threatening punters with guns!!!!  :o

Been friends with the manager for years he always looks out for me, he wouldn't ever harm me.

His other bar got closed down but he opened a new one, he'll only keep opening new ones.

I admire your trust and confidence.......

Last year I was in a bar that I really do trust, but nevertheless when it came to Check Bin time I, my bill was about 400 baht, I got a 1000 baht note out of my wallet and paid only to receive change for 500.

Now I only ever keep 1000 notes in my wallet as I used to occasionally mistake them for 20s, so when the wrong change came I KNEW beyond doubt that I was in the right.

I created...singing louder than the acts on stage and demanding my money...there is no way I was going to go without my money...I knew the owner vaguely but was told he wasn't in the country.....eventually I was paid the extra 500 baht (I have a powerful voice) not without the cashier taking a swipe at me but I got my money.

About 3 days later I told my friend about the incident...and he reminded me that we had been for a meal before I went to the bar and he'd put the money he owed me in my wallet – a 500 baht note!

I went back the next day and apologized and gave them their money back….I still drink there today, but they are very careful with change!

It’s amazing how sure you can be after a beer or two!