Australian Teacher Lucky To Be Alive After Being Shot In The Head In Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't see what your comment has to do with his english - which seems fine to me.

"Ringwood Secondary College principal Michael Phillips said: "Whilst the injury sustained by Lynda was serious, the incident was particularly stressful and both staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot..."

:blink: Does this guy speaky the English? What contradictions!

Oh, pu-leeeez. Is there anything humans don't need counseling or closure for? Bullied as children? Ignored by fathers? Ingrown toenails?

Go home and tell everyone about your near-death adventure in dangerous SEA! B)

I charge 500 an hour for English grammar lessons.

Please PM me if you are interested. :D

Perhaps other posters will advise you for free.

Drop the nitpicky grammar pedantry thanks

If you are unsure how to conduct yourself in a thread please read forum netiquette:

Otherwise, return to the topic, thanks

It's only been farangs - no need to investigate, everything just coincidence, mai bpen rai!

Not just farangs. Local Thai-language newspapers carry regular reports of gang attacks on Ch Mai roads.

Exactly... please read my previous post, so common around Pattaya the rags have stopped reporting them!!!!!!

This was a bodged car jacking with intent to get MONEY.

Very unusual to hear of such a case here in CM, guess there must be more to it than we know so far.

...as he said, desperately trying to protect the image of CM.

I've got news for you. This is an unusual case, period.

No it's not.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...iland-prof.html

Another TV poster from Chiang Mai started a thread a few years ago about how his daughter was shot while riding in their car exiting the Carrefour parking lot. This stuff happens all the time. No follow up. No consequences.

I too was reminded of that case when reading this story: a Canadian research Physicist from Toronto who was shot in the back while ridng a Songtaew with his wife in Chiang Mai back in February 2008.

They never found the culprit. Seems to have been just some kind of random shooting, like this one.

It was covered on Thaivisa Here:

<br />
<br />
<br />The bullet grazed the back of the Ms Cody's skull is in no way the same as shot in the head.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Actually they were just unlucky and drove into the path of a bullet, said the police report.<br />
<br /><br />And if they had not been in Thailand to begin with, this wouldn't have happened.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This wouldn't have happened in a developed country.

I can't tell whether you are being serious or sarcastic, but random shootings or other forms of murder on completely innocent tourists happen in the UK and Australia (for two instances taken at random - I can recall a French student shot on the Tube in recent years and various British backpackers have met sticky ends in Oz). Usually by someone who is mentally unstable.

It's only been farangs - no need to investigate, everything just coincidence, mai bpen rai!

Not just farangs. Local Thai-language newspapers carry regular reports of gang attacks on Ch Mai roads.

Exactly... please read my previous post, so common around Pattaya the rags have stopped reporting them!!!!!!

Why not proceed with the car jacking then? They would have only found out they hit somebody when they looked inside. Why turn it into a hit and run when these were obviously their tactics? And, if they're willing to fire guns at vehicles for money then why halt the robbery portion of the crime b/c a bullet hit somebody?

ermm.gif

This is why I love living in the comfort and saftey of Pattaya. You have to be nuts to consider living anywhere else in Thailand where lawlessness apperars to be the rule of law. Psycho's in Chiang Mail shooting

tourist on a yearly basis and psychopathic English teachers roaming the sois of Bangkok in a fashion very similar to the movie Zombies Dawn of the Dead, thanks Pattaya, I love ya.

Why not proceed with the car jacking then? They would have only found out they hit somebody when they looked inside. Why turn it into a hit and run when these were obviously their tactics? And, if they're willing to fire guns at vehicles for money then why halt the robbery portion of the crime b/c a bullet hit somebody?

ermm.gif

You know it's not beyond possibility that this is some form of gang initiation. Show how committed to the cause you are go and shoot someone. Gang violence seems to be on the increase (or its just reported more). Just speculation as I don't live in CM but in old bangers, college students scraping, stabbing and shooting each other is all the rage at the moment.

This is why I love living in the comfort and saftey of Pattaya. You have to be nuts to consider living anywhere else in Thailand where lawlessness apperars to be the rule of law. Psycho's in Chiang Mail shooting

tourist on a yearly basis and psychopathic English teachers roaming the sois of Bangkok in a fashion very similar to the movie Zombies Dawn of the Dead, thanks Pattaya, I love ya.

First post: do you want to frame it? Or do you think you might want to forget you ever said anything like this later on?

whistling.gif

The bullet grazed the back of the Ms Cody's skull is in no way the same as shot in the head.

You must be new to Thai Visa. :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha!!! My thoughts exactly. Trivial daily happenstance labeled as "Breaking News", decisions made in Phuket dubbed nationwide decrees ... gotta love Thai Visa.

ermm.gif

Because...

"A Montford teacher, known as Mr Suwan, drove off when the car was fired on." :rolleyes:

In other words the farang driver had his wits about him and dint hang around, as I said before these gang members are FULL of yabba. they may think they are the slickest, cleverest, fastest, cool dudes on the planet but the truth is they are drugged up morons with the reactions and thought processes of slugs.

ermm.gif

You know it's not beyond possibility that this is some form of gang initiation. Show how committed to the cause you are go and shoot someone. Gang violence seems to be on the increase (or its just reported more). Just speculation as I don't live in CM but in old bangers, college students scraping, stabbing and shooting each other is all the rage at the moment.

I'll definitely grant you that possibility. It is an established practice. How tragically stupid if this is the case.

sad.gif

And yet another tabloid style sensationalist headline on this forum. How many have there been, particularly during the 'red' demos last year? And what is the motivation to give an impression of a 'hit' style' attempt 'shot in the head'? When in FACT the teacher sustained a MINOR injury from a piece of the car she was traveling in being fired upon, for as yet, unknown reasons.

Put even more wind up the expat community here why don't you. And don't forget to tip off/mislead the World media.

Edited by evanson

Because...

"A Montford teacher, known as Mr Suwan, drove off when the car was fired on." :rolleyes:

In other words the farang driver had his wits about him and dint hang around, as I said before these gang members are FULL of yabba. they may think they are the slickest, cleverest, fastest, cool dudes on the planet but the truth is they are drugged up morons with the reactions and thought processes of slugs.

Suwan doesn't sound like a farang name to me. Are you sure?

>>>Ringwood Secondary College principal Michael Phillips said: "Whilst the injury sustained by Lynda was serious, the incident was particularly stressful and both staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot. Some may also need some counseling. This has been arranged.<<<

Can anyone explain what the difference is between "counseling support" and "counseling"? Why not just arrange for counseling? Why arrange for counseling support, and then counseling as well? The phrase reads, "some may also need some counseling" -- who are the some, and if there are only two, why are they referred to as some? It's either that Lynda may need some counseling, or that both teachers may need counseling, but why "some may also need some counseling"? I'm confused ...

>>>Ringwood Secondary College principal Michael Phillips said: "Whilst the injury sustained by Lynda was serious, the incident was particularly stressful and both staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot. Some may also need some counseling. This has been arranged.<<<

Can anyone explain what the difference is between "counseling support" and "counseling"? Why not just arrange for counseling? Why arrange for counseling support, and then counseling as well? The phrase reads, "some may also need some counseling" -- who are the some, and if there are only two, why are they referred to as some? It's either that Lynda may need some counseling, or that both teachers may need counseling, but why "some may also need some counseling"? I'm confused ...

as they realise how close they were to being shot.

So, no-one was actually shot, right? They were shot at???

How about the Headline??

This is all very confusing; I am going to need support just to figure out what actually happened.

Because...

Suwan doesn't sound like a farang name to me. Are you sure?

Dint notice that! :blink: but in any case the "driver" being Farang or Thai drove off as soon as they were attacked, if he had been shot in the head I presume the winners would have been the gang and they would have been able to finish them off, loot them and take the car on a joy ride to the nearest crooked garage for processing.

I only read the report and made my own assumptions that may be found to be correct, or not, or the whole thing is covered up by the BIB. we will never know as threads here on TV just expire with no real answers to anything. :(

"We are all mushrooms anyway... fed bull-shit and kept in the dark".

Edited by newermonkey

It is a little oddly written, but it's probably just as a result of somewhat deficient writing skills or something like that. The point is still clear. I don't see what there is to be gained from the grammatical nitpicking unless the meanings of these words is truly lost on you.

blink.gif

>> staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot. <<

Would this not indicate that they were in fact NOT shot, and instead were injured by shattered glass, or something similar when the car was shot at?

Edited by rezbin

Thais (or Burmese) scally wags don't just rock up and slot people for no reason; they would have been involved in something

they shouldn't have - probably gems!

Are you serious, this was a school excusion from Australia. students and teachers.

Even the most stupid, meathead, moronic dickheads would not start firing in a completely illogical random manner. There had to be reason they were firing at this car. Quite possibly mistaken identity, or some sort of dodgy deal gone sour.

I would rephrase that if I were you. Because there have been and still are some mentally deranged people out there that do not need a reason for what they do. So think again.

Thank you, sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

By the way, since every one else is speculating, I remember about this time last year at the CM night market, there was an almost shooting. It went something like this:

Westerner preaching in Thai while standing on a stool. Very loud hell and brimstone diatribe some of which ended up, along with fingerpointing, being specifically directed at someone with a gun.

An obviously highly intoxicated uniformed, um, LEO, was cruising by on his motorbike when he heard the preaching. He slammed on the brakes, got off the bike and stood there, weaving before the preacher, staring him down. Then the finger wagging started, the cop pulled out his gun and took aim. This is when a few other cops grabbed him and finally convinced him to leave.

Is Ringwood a Christian college? B)

Hey, at least my theory holds a cup or two of water. Gang initiation? Drug dealers? Bargaining too hard?

"Ringwood Secondary College principal Michael Phillips said: "Whilst the injury sustained by Lynda was serious, the incident was particularly stressful and both staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot..."

:blink: Does this guy speaky the English? What contradictions!

Oh, pu-leeeez. Is there anything humans don't need counseling or closure for? Bullied as children? Ignored by fathers? Ingrown toenails?

Go home and tell everyone about your near-death adventure in dangerous SEA! B)

you forgot a shot dicky or itty bitty titties, hahahahahahahahaah