Great Fun Yesterday

gennisis

Went to buy an audio unit to improve the sound from the TV.

Found what I wanted....price label 9,990baht,,,ok.

How would I pay?...credit card I said.....ok.

The salesman goes of to the accounts dept and comes back with the credit card slip....10,137 baht.

No way I say. The manager say you must pay extra for using your credit card!. No way I say,its illegal and the credt card company will be informed of your practices.

He goes back grinning to accounts.....returns....no extra charge.

I then said that I would pay cash instead but would only pay 9900 minus the 139 baht....9761 baht. since I was paying cash and not using a credit card.....seemed fair to me.

Off the guy goes grinning widely....returns with payment slip for the discounted price.

This was great entertainment for me...realy made my day.

Many guesthouses, hotels, restaurants add 3% in Thailand (when paying with creditcard) I know it's not legal but they do it anyway...

I forgot also travel agencies, another reason to book your flights online!!!

Edited by kalbo123

First of all it's not illegal. It's against the credit card company's terms, but not illegal, as in, against the law: vendors can charge whatever they want.

Secondly, they typically advise you of any surcharge for credit card use.

If it's a small-ish place that accepts credit cards then I also sometimes ask if there is a fee, before deciding on the payment method.

It's only reasonable, given the in some cases less-than-reasonable fees charged by credit card companies to the vendor.

I then said that I would pay cash instead but would only pay 9900 minus the 139 baht....9761 baht. since I was paying cash and not using a credit card.....seemed fair to me.

Off the guy goes grinning widely....returns with payment slip for the discounted price.

This was great entertainment for me...realy made my day.

:coffee1:

Nice that you derive joy out of screwing local vendors out of a marginal amount of money. It made a less-than-stellar start to my day to read that there are people out there who's joys in life consist of such things.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Mr. Winnie it might be true that the vendors can change the price depending the payment methode.

Did you ever have to pay an extra fee when you use your creditcard in the US or Europe?

If it's possible there, why not here? Also considering there is not a lot of price difference anymore in a lot of products.

In the US, many of the petrol stations will charge a different amount for CC's or cash. They way is portrayed is interesting. They say its not a extra charge for using a CC, but a a discount for paying cash. Totally legal.

Mr. Winnie it might be true that the vendors can change the price depending the payment methode.

Did you ever have to pay an extra fee when you use your creditcard in the US or Europe?

If it's possible there, why not here? Also considering there is not a lot of price difference anymore in a lot of products.

well that is a lot of money. seems like everybody on this forum is so rich that money doesn't mean a thing to them and everybody is khiniau or kheeneao.

and most of the time when i argue from small amount with local vendor/tuk tuk/songtaew or whatever, it's not entirely about the money, it's about PRINCIPLE.

Most of the smaller businesses here, work out their prices as based on excepting cash.

Basically overseas most businesses base their prices on accepting credit card as so many use them.

So you basically screwed them by demanding a 3% discount on what was the cash price.

By the way Air Asia charges more for purchasing with credit cards, so maybe next time try with them and see if you come away smiling.

We're not in the US or Europe. As has been pointed out above, CC payments are far more common in those parts of the world, so when vendors set a price they calculate in the 3% or %5 or whatever that they lose to the credit card company. Essentially what is happening there is that on each and every purchase, people who pay in cash are paying extra for the benefit of those paying with plastic.

In Thailand, fortunately, this is not the case except with the bigger vendors. People paying with cash aren't being charged an inflated price for the benefit of Mr. American Express.

If it's possible there, why not here?

Because I for one don't want to be screwed out of 3% each and every time I buy something, just so that you can pay with plastic, and Mr. Visa and Mr. Mastercard ultimately ending up with my money.

That's like an additional 3% TAX on everything you buy. I pay enough tax as it is not to lose additional money to big financial institutions.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We're not in the US or Europe. As has been pointed out above, CC payments are far more common in those parts of the world, so when vendors set a price they calculate in the 3% or %5 or whatever that they lose to the credit card company. Essentially what is happening there is that on each and every purchase, people who pay in cash are paying extra for the benefit of those paying with plastic.

In Thailand, fortunately, this is not the case except with the bigger vendors. People paying with cash aren't being charged an inflated price for the benefit of Mr. American Express.

Because I for one don't want to be screwed out of 3% each and every time I buy something, just so that you can pay with plastic, and Mr. Visa and Mr. Mastercard ultimately ending up with my money.

That's like an additional 3% TAX on everything you buy. I pay enough tax as it is not to lose additional money to big financial institutions.

I was aware that the 3% is what the bank charges the company for taking cc. That is why there is an extra charge - either that or just make the quote is 3% higher so everyone pays more. (hospitality industry is what I am stating here). Clients are always told about the charge - written on invoice so no mistake.

So a lot a readers ridicule saving a bit of money. Strange, or you all most have plenty of it, but for me 376 baht is a free dinner.

And it's probably a dinner for each member of a typical Thai family.

Fair enough saving on the CC charge but to screw them down more - kineow indeed!

Cheers,

Pikey

I happy that the OP got his stereo for a price he was happy with. But to be completely frank, they would not have given the discount if they were going to take a loss. The fact is, they were probably laughing at the OP as he left feeling like he had won.... He still paid more than he could have.

So a lot a readers ridicule saving a bit of money. Strange, or you all most have plenty of it, but for me 376 baht is a free dinner.

And it's probably a dinner for each member of a typical Thai family.

Fair enough saving on the CC charge but to screw them down more - kineow indeed!

Cheers,

Pikey

I was aware that the 3% is what the bank charges the company for taking cc. That is why there is an extra charge - either that or just make the quote is 3% higher so everyone pays more. (hospitality industry is what I am stating here). Clients are always told about the charge - written on invoice so no mistake.

If it is written on the invoice, you can easily get the money back from the credit card company :)

Farang Keneao

It's not about figures, it's about playing the game of the country. And he played well. And the salesman is a true sportsman. I thought it was a charming

example of a well integrated falang and the playfulness of Thailand. It would have showed a smile on my face as well.