Extension On Marriage

Sounds like a completely humiliating experience from top to bottom.

It really isn't all that bad , it seems perhaps , but knowing what you all need for paperwork ( which isn't that hard )

it becomes so easy alltogether , it really is .

It saves me a lot of money , not require a visa run or any new visa , just the extension , the 90 days reporting leaving

for what it is would be a big move forward though ....

A friend of mine was asked to hand draw the map to his house in the immigration office, he showed it to the officer and he laughed and was told it wasn't good enough, the officer showed the map to his colleague at the next desk and she burst out laughing too.

mad.gif

The Immigration recce team are coming to his house next week and are charging him 3000 baht expenses - Phitsanulok to Phetchabun day out.

Overall he had a bad day, his bank letter did not have a dated SCB stamp on it! and some problems with his marriage certificate so his application was turned down.

Returned next day with a decent map drawn by his daughter plus the extra docs and all ok.

Despite this being his seven marriage extension the Immigration officer told his wife that they have to check that the foreigner is married and living together- the emphasis being on the living together!.

Hence the forthcoming visit.

My local Immigration office asks me for photos of my wife and I on the bed, on a sofa in the living room, outside the house with the house number showing, and at the housing estate entrance. If you havve children, they should be shown in at least one photo with you. A4 paper is fine. Colour a must. Also a letter from the house owner (my ex-wife's mother in this case) saying that we can live there. A marriage certificate PLUS Kor Ror 2 form from a provincial office. Bank statement from the same day. Stamped and signed by the bank. Print out the pages for all of the previous 3 months (or was it 2?). 400,000+ Baht in it for that period. Copy all of the pages in your passport. House registration document. If it doesn't have a "chao korng bahn" in it, you'll need the house owner to copy the land deed document and a document stating she owns the house and land. New photo of yourself. Hand-drawn map of your house and how to get there. The office will give you a form each to fill in each (1 for the husband and 1 for the wife) stating that you live together. 1 application form. 2 copies of all the documents. 1,900 Baht for the fee.

Edited by renaissanc

my second extenuation this year in Udon Thani. last year I used a copy of Udon Map from the internet. printed pictures on my black and white laser printer . This year I had to hand draw a map and have the pictures printed on glossy paper. Also had to have a friend interviewed. It seems that once again the Thai government is showing that they really don't want me in the country. Oh, one other thing, My statement of income from the Chang Mai consulate caused some raised eyebrows. It seems that the officer had no knowledge of its existence.

Edited by bbeaver1

I had to handdraw the map to my house last year, the officer wrote place names in Thai for me. My map was better and more detailed than the one he had :P

the marriage registration is also required from your amphur now, don't forget that.

Just finished my one year extension this very morning at CM-imm office . Was all done in 20 minutes , no additional papers asked , no mentioning of

homevisit as many reports suggest , and also no marriage registration from Ampuh required .

All I know is that the provincial offices ask for slightly different requirements and paperwork , don't know if other applicants who extend at Chiangmai

perhaps are told of a homevisit , but sure the Ampuh thing is not needed here .

Hope it helps some other poster who might be in desperate thoughts regarding any changes , there are none , any picture of the family is accepted btw .

cheers .

Good point, every Immigration office has different requirements, can vary from officer to officer too. And if your guy is having a bad day, day to day as well.

Always best to go in ahead of time and check to see what they want when applying the first time round. (but marriage register doc was new for me last year)

I make it a point to have my wife go to immigration a few days before I extend my visa every year just to check if there are any changes. The Chiang Mai Immigration office provides a printed list of required documents, which I bring to the interview, just in case, along with the documents required. As of last February, no need for a hand-drawn map (a slightly modified Land & Houses advertisement map sufficed) or marriage register document (so far).

The home visit occurred during the application process (the first year) only.

Edited by venturalaw

Latest word is that the map must be hand drawn and directions in Thai, Googlemap not accepted.

When I applied for 1 year extension about 6 months they were delighted with the Google Map that I printed with Thai instructions.

Glad I don't do any of that nonsense.

A short holiday to Vientiane/Phnom Penh.

90 day single entry.

Extend for 60 days based on visiting wife.

Repeat. Makes a great break away every 5 months.

60 day extension? How do you get one and where from?

60 day extension? How do you get one and where from?

From Immigration 1,900 Baht. If you qualify.

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.

Hi.

Could I please ask:

I am married to a Thai and am on Non-Immigrant O visas. I have been getting them for years and have not done an extension as I don't really understand the system and how to go about it.

1. What is the advantage of getting extensions? Is it just that you no longer have to leave the country? I believe you need to have a number of these extensions before applying for residency - is this correct?

2. What are the disadvantages of these extensions, if any? Does it restrict how much you can come and go?

3. Where can I find simple info to tell me how to go about getting a visa extension?

Thanks

Paul

1. You do not have to leave country but if you don't you will have to provide an address report every 90 days to Immigration (but this can most often be done by mail if you wish). If intending to apply for PR three such years is considered a requirement to even be considered. Believe as most people get up in years the advantage of not having to leave becomes a key item making it well worth the effort (the fact is once a year for extension is only a partial day and a quick return 30 days later for the one year permitted to stay stamp).

2. 90 day address reports are required; close check of family is likely to be made (some find demeaning but in most cases all is just formality paperwork); no travel allowed without purchase of re-entry permits first at 1,000 baht each or 3,800 baht for multi for period of current permitted stay.

3. Police Order 777/2551 is the current regulation and can be downloaded from pinned useful information or a Google. Many threads in this section (often with specific information about local office procedures).