Thai PM-In-Waiting Yingluck Confident She Will Be Cleared

webfact

Thai PM-in-waiting confident she will be cleared

BANGKOK, July 13, 2011 (AFP) - Thai prime minister-in-waiting Yingluck Shinawatra said Wednesday that she was confident that alleged campaign irregularities which are holding up her appointment would be dismissed.

Thailand's Election Commission on Tuesday put off a decision on whether to approve Yingluck and 141 other candidates, including outgoing premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, as members of the 500-seat lower house.

"There's still time left under the law. I think the EC is trying to finish its investigation," she said. "I hope and am confident that the EC will treat me and my Puea Thai Party with fairness and justice."

Any move to disqualify Yingluck -- the sister of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawtra -- would infuriate the opposition "Red Shirt" protest movement that was behind mass rallies in Bangkok last year that turned deadly.

Yingluck has formed a six-party coalition that will control about three fifths of the lower chamber.

The new parliament must convene within 30 days of the July 3 election to select a house speaker, and has another 30 days to pick a prime minister.

The election commission is investigating complaints by Abhisit's Democrat Party that banned politicians such as Thaksin were involved in its rivals' campaign, whose slogan was "Thaksin thinks, Puea Thai does."

Yingluck has denied the accusations, saying she received only guidance from her brother, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a jail sentence for corruption.

"He merely offered ideas and advice but was not involved in the party administration and decisions," she said of Thaksin, who is widely seen as the de facto opposition leader.

The election commission has rejected a separate complaint that Yingluck sought to buy votes by giving away noodles she cooked during campaigning.

Two Thaksin parties have been dissolved by the courts in the past and their top executives, including the former leader, were banned from politics.

Abhisit is also being investigated by the poll body over complaints that the sale of discount goods at a fair he attended constituted vote buying.

He said he was surprised by the EC announcement, but confident he had not breached regulations.

"I am not worried and I'm ready to explain every case because I was not breaking any law," he told reporters.

He called on Yingluck to tell the Red Shirts not to pressure authorities, after about 100 members of the movement gathered peacefully in support of her Puea Thai party outside Tuesday's election commission meeting.

"They should stop, and I want Yingluck to clearly state that she does not support this kind of behaviour, otherwise conflict will be unending," he said.

The commission is due to announce further endorsements of candidates on July 19.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-13

I'm actually glad to see that the EC cleared Yingluck about the noodles. From what I've read, the noodle vendor bought the ingredients, and evidently none were handed out. So it would seem to have been merely a photo-op.

On the other hand, I'm not happy that the news hadn't reported the Blue Flag incident with Abhisit - at least, I didn't see anything of it until today. If the reports are true that he purchased and donated items for the Blue Flag whilst campaigning, it would seem that he violated the election law. If the reports are correct, than this is in fact more than just a photo-op. Frankly, I'm surprised that he would make such a mistake, but stuff does happen.

From today's news thread:

Yingluck unworried at EC delay of MP status endorsment; asserts she has not violated election law; believes she will get fair treatment from EC /MCOT

Is that like saying "I will accept the courts decision"? I remember someone else saying that.

ASTV: Yingluck affirms she can clarify any queries EC may have and is not concerned she will not be endorsed as the public supports her /TAN_Network

So, because the public supports her, the EC will endorse her, regardless of whether she might have done something illegal or not.

I'm actually glad to see that the EC cleared Yingluck about the noodles. From what I've read, the noodle vendor bought the ingredients, and evidently none were handed out. So it would seem to have been merely a photo-op.

On the other hand, I'm not happy that the news hadn't reported the Blue Flag incident with Abhisit - at least, I didn't see anything of it until today. If the reports are true that he purchased and donated items for the Blue Flag whilst campaigning, it would seem that he violated the election law. If the reports are correct, than this is in fact more than just a photo-op. Frankly, I'm surprised that he would make such a mistake, but stuff does happen.

Agreed on the noodles.

The other paper said that the "Blue Flag" items were available for sale at a campaign event. I didn't see any suggestion that they were given away.

Edited by whybother

I am hoping the EC dumps the 'noodle conspiracy' completely --- edit --- they have ----and allows PTP to escape the Thaksin interference charge BUT refers the Thaksin charge to the constitution court separately as a criminal case.

Law shouldn't be about compromise but this is one possible way forward.

Edited by jdinasia

Agreed on the noodles.

The other paper said that the "Blue Flag" items were available for sale at a campaign event. I didn't see any suggestion that they were given away.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4554873

That's where I got my information:

Mr Abhisit has been accused of vote-buying by providing "Blue Flag" economic goods for sale when campaigning in Samut Prakan province.

So, I interpret that as he donated Blue Flag goods, which were then sold. It's not the selling, it's the providing that I see as an error on his part.

But, it's just my interpretation, I obviously don't know the whole story.

Agreed on the noodles.

Mr Abhisit has been accused of vote-buying by providing "Blue Flag" economic goods for sale when campaigning in Samut Prakan province.

So, I interpret that as he donated Blue Flag goods, which were then sold. It's not the selling, it's the providing that I see as an error on his part.

Why would he buy them and then sell them? Fund raising?

"during 30 May - 5 July, 340 fairs were also held in 340 districts nationwide which attracted 1.36 visitors" (1.36 million I would assume).

Did they have campaign rallies at every fair? Or did this particular rally just coincide with the Samut Prakan fair?

Edited by whybother

Agreed on the noodles.

Why would he buy them and then sell them? Fund raising?

"during 30 May - 5 July, 340 fairs were also held in 340 districts nationwide which attracted 1.36 visitors" (1.36 million I would assume).

Did they have campaign rallies at every fair? Or did this particular rally just coincide with the Samut Prakan fair?

It didn't say he sold them, just that he "provided" them. Why? I have no idea. But certainly, I don't think he attended all 340 fairs, do you?

As I said, I got my information from the link you provided, and I've interpreted it. I guess we'll have to wait for the EC's decision to see what it's all about.

Tulsathit has some interesting twitter comments on the EC decisions against the red leaders and on any rationale over the Thaksin thinks comments being applied to only certain candidates, as posted elsewhere I wont repeat here.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, regardless of what the law says in this instance (I have a right to think that a particular piece of legislation is stupid).

Regarding Abhisit, throw out this stupid complaint. Only small and narrow minded people will see this as an example of vote buying. The impact of his actions is a big fat ZERO.

Regarding YL's noodles, I'm glad the EC has thrown out the complaint for exactly the same reason above. Incidentally, who was the narrow minded idiot who lodged this complaint?

Regarding T's involvement, I doubt wherever whether this would have made any difference to the eventual outcome. His propaganda machine would have made it very clear, indirectly, that he is the brains behind the party anyway. Any loss of votes on account of low keyed involvement might have been offset by an increase in votes in areas where his involvement was detrimental.

The Dem's bringing this action was to protect their own self interest and not the wider interest of the country, IMO.

Edited by Bkkorupcountry

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, regardless of what the law says in this instance (I have a right to think that a particular piece of legislation is stupid).

Regarding Abhisit, throw out this stupid complaint. Only small and narrow minded people will see this as an example of vote buying. The impact of his actions is a big fat ZERO.

Regarding YL's noodles, I'm glad the EC has thrown out the complaint for exactly the same reason above. Incidentally, who was the narrow minded idiot who lodged this complaint?

Regarding T's involvement, I doubt wherever whether this would have made any difference to the eventual outcome. His propaganda machine would have made it very clear, indirectly, that he is the brains behind the party anyway. Any loss of votes on account of low keyed involvement might have been offset by an increase in votes in areas where his involvement was detrimental.

The Dem's bringing this action was to protect their own self interest and not the wider interest of the country, IMO.

The establishment needed to have Thaksin overtly involved in the campaign if the plan was his party would be beaten by the Dems et al and his supporters would see he was beaten and his support would fade away and the red shirts would accept defeat and fade away. Of course that didnt happen as any ordinary Thai person of any political persuasion could have informed the establishment would be the case months before the election.

The establishment needed to have Thaksin overtly involved in the campaign if the plan was his party would be beaten by the Dems et al and his supporters would see he was beaten and his support would fade away and the red shirts would accept defeat and fade away. Of course that didnt happen as any ordinary Thai person of any political persuasion could have informed the establishment would be the case months before the election.

If true, how nice if they would live by the sword and die by the sword..... and not go running to mummy if they get scratched.

The establishment needed to have Thaksin overtly involved in the campaign if the plan was his party would be beaten by the Dems et al and his supporters would see he was beaten and his support would fade away and the red shirts would accept defeat and fade away.

If that was the plan, i think it was deeply flawed because the reds accepting defeat and fading away would depend upon Thaksin calling it a day, and putting away his cheque book. I think a more likely outcome would have been the reds contesting the validity of the result - much as the Dems are doing now to PTP - and then a fresh new assault on the capital.

Of course that didnt happen as any ordinary Thai person of any political persuasion could have informed the establishment would be the case months before the election.

Actually i would disagree that months before the election the outcome was already known. Polls were showing both parties pretty neck and neck, with a large number of undecided voters. What i think swung it in the end was a combination of bad campaigning from the Dems, some pie-in-the-sky election promises from PTP, and the main one, the rising cost of living. But this swing only really started in the last two or three weeks, from what i saw anyway. Easy enough to say now that two or three months ago the election was already a foregone conclusion, but i don't recall any predictions of that sort at that time; not anyway from "neutral" sources.

"The establishment needed to have Thaksin overtly involved in the campaign........." The establishment couldn't stop him. Thaksin does not recognise the 2007 constitution, the basis of his 5 year ban, and the arrogance of the man would not allow him to remain silent.

If there is a law you don't like, the normal procedure is to get elected, and THEN change it. By flaunting his involvement, he has challenged the EC to do something about it in the face of more threatened strife from his bully boys. His hijacking of policy making before a PM is a continuation of the same theme.

"The establishment needed to have Thaksin overtly involved in the campaign........." The establishment couldn't stop him. Thaksin does not recognise the 2007 constitution, the basis of his 5 year ban, and the arrogance of the man would not allow him to remain silent.

If there is a law you don't like, the normal procedure is to get elected, and THEN change it. By flaunting his involvement, he has challenged the EC to do something about it in the face of more threatened strife from his bully boys. His hijacking of policy making before a PM is a continuation of the same theme.

It is not a novel idea that to exorcise the great demon he has to be beaten in open democratic election and that has been a plan for a long time. Just realising it is a little difficult.

It is not a novel idea that to exorcise the great demon he has to be beaten in open democratic election and that has been a plan for a long time. Just realising it is a little difficult.

Agreed ... The Dems failed miserably at making inroads into the regional powerbases upcountry. They really should have learned to "toot their own horns" and to attack the credibility of their adversaries ... they didn't.

Would-be PM Unfazed by Delayed MP Status Approval

The Pheu Thai prime ministerial canididate says she is not concerned about being among the 142 MP-elects whose endorsement as MPs remains suspended by the poll panel.

She also expresses confidence that she will surely become the country's 28th prime minister.

Soon-to-be prime minister from the Pheu Thai Party, Yingluck Shinawatra, said she is unfazed by the Election Commission, or EC's, suspension of her MP status endorsement.

Yingluck is among the 142 poll winners whose endorsement has been suspended by the election panel pending further investigation.

The top Pheu Thai MP-elect believes she has not been mistreated by the poll panel and would be given justice as she and the party have been abiding by the electoral law and regulations.

Yingluck also denied allegations that her brother, deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who has also been banned from politics, is pulling strings on the party's affairs and policies.

She said her brother only gives advices and has no part in making any decision for Pheu Thai.

Further asked about her controversial shareholding which may lead to her disqualification of her MP status, Yingluck said she is not concerned over the matter and expressed confidence that she will become the 28th prime minister of Thailand.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-13

footer_n.gif

The Puppet master should be outed. Everyone knows Yingluck is a Patsy for Thaksin. The EC knoews it the PTP know it the Democrats know it and so do the ordinary people.

His involvement should have been investigated before the campaigning and I'm sure the World bank and interpol on that basis could have got his worldwide assets frozen as they are being used to 'buy' an election and violence.

What a great invention of his to create mayhem on the streets... The 'black shirts' during last years trouble, it will come to light how much extra money he was paying those guys to murder their own people.

It's a shame the toad doesn't do us all a favour and have a heart attack.

If PTP got in without his (thai peoples) money, and influence then fine thats a fair and honest election but to allow an instigator of terror and corruption to call the shots is not what politics in the 21st Century is all about.

Sadly if the EC come to the right decision and call a no election on that basis then he will just pay more Thais to kill other Thai's. He doesn't care about the Thai people they are his Pawns and puppets.

If he came to Thailand he'd never end up in the Bangkok Hilton he'd just be placed under house arrest otherwise again he'd pay people to kill and maim other Thai's.

He should be up for Corporate murder and Terrorism charges not just fraud.

This soap opera they call Thai politics is just his latest game to scam more money.

I am not a red, but a vote was cast, and the Dems should live with it. If they cant put a good case forward as to why they are the best after controlling the country for years, then they deserve to loose.

Let her get on with the job, and go think about why and how you screwed up.

The Puppet master should be outed. Everyone knows Yingluck is a Patsy for Thaksin. The EC knoews it the PTP know it the Democrats know it and so do the ordinary people.

His involvement should have been investigated before the campaigning and I'm sure the World bank and interpol on that basis could have got his worldwide assets frozen as they are being used to 'buy' an election and violence.

What a great invention of his to create mayhem on the streets... The 'black shirts' during last years trouble, it will come to light how much extra money he was paying those guys to murder their own people.

It's a shame the toad doesn't do us all a favour and have a heart attack.

If PTP got in without his (thai peoples) money, and influence then fine thats a fair and honest election but to allow an instigator of terror and corruption to call the shots is not what politics in the 21st Century is all about.

Sadly if the EC come to the right decision and call a no election on that basis then he will just pay more Thais to kill other Thai's. He doesn't care about the Thai people they are his Pawns and puppets.

If he came to Thailand he'd never end up in the Bangkok Hilton he'd just be placed under house arrest otherwise again he'd pay people to kill and maim other Thai's.

He should be up for Corporate murder and Terrorism charges not just fraud.

This soap opera they call Thai politics is just his latest game to scam more money.

What an enlightening post :)

From today's news thread:

Yingluck unworried at EC delay of MP status endorsment; asserts she has not violated election law; believes she will get fair treatment from EC /MCOT

Is that like saying "I will accept the courts decision"?

No, it isn't.

(Also, the EC is not a court.)

WTK

Sour grapes. Yellow underestimated the situation, got outclassed and beaten fair and square. Happy to see EC cast aside Noodle-Gate and the blue plate special thing. Good for them. Call a spade a spade.

Any overturn would demonstrate Thailand as a 3rd world banana republic where democratic process is "ok", as long as it produces the results desired by the ruling elite.

On the same note, meddling by * Mr. Thaksin during the campaign might equate to the same perception, but somehow, it's just doesn't seem that bad to me. If I were Yingluck, I probably would of asked his advice and opinion during my campaign as well.

What's irritating is her continual denial of this. Just keeps insulting the average person's intelligence and makes her look dishonest already - and she's not even the PM yet! Pretty sure the majority voted for her because of the family name recognition, and moreover, because he's involved, or they hoped he would be. Best they could get was his sister, close enough, after all, even he says she's his clone. Duh!

So, OK, now she's won, parades and mind-numbing campaign half-truths and exaggerations are over with.....now you must perform AS YINGLUCK , and I hope for Thailand's sake, she's got what it takes to do the job.

If she gets caught out with overt meddling and shot calling by her brother once she has the government reigns, then she should be tossed out on her backside. Clones/Figureheads aside, he didn't get elected, she did. Time to step up to the plate.

Then again, even Obama calls in questionable figures from the past, to advise on all sorts of policy issues, including Bill Clinton even! I mean, jeez, he was <deleted>' politically impeached and lied his tail off to the country about minor issues such as receiving oral pleasure. Wasn't that long ago we all called him "Slick Willy" but now, he's played up as the wise, elder statesman! People. We sure are a funny bunch of mammals. It won't be long before Thaksin's sins are forgotten, he'll be embraced by the majority of the country, but he'll always have to watch his back..... I mean really! He's a corrupt politician? Never seen one of those before. :passifier:

Any overturn would demonstrate Thailand as a 3rd world banana republic where democratic process is "ok", as long as it produces the results desired by the ruling elite.

PTP being dissolved is a possibility, but that wouldn't result in an overturn, so not sure why you mention it.

If Thaksin's involvement in PTP, as a banned politician, is not investigated and dealt with in accordance with the law, this might also demonstrate Thailand as a 3rd world banana republic where breaking the law is "ok" providing you have won the vote.

Overlooked in this matter is that the PM designate has remained calm and by doing so serves as a proper leader. The 100 protestors were peaceful. This is a good sign. Hopefully, peace and calm prevail. I believe Mme. Yingluck will prevail. The Democrats can try to delay the change, but the people have spoken. The longer this goes on, the more the Democrats will be seen as obstructors of a free vote.

There is no way that any international group will support the Democrats or a new military junta, so those that want Mr. Thaksin's assets frozen or the gentleman arrested while outside Thailand, are delusional. Not that anyone noticed, but we are sitting on the edge of another world financial crisis. The debt crisis in the EU is worse than ever, Japan is staggering under its debt, the USA is on the brink of insolvency, the middle east is a bomb away from another war and China has growing internal problems. Thailand has to have calm to get through the coming world problems. Whatever happens now, Thailand cannot afford to have civil insurrections or internal fighting.

Bringing justified legal actions is ALWAYS in the interest of the citizenry. It is THE PROCESS people need to respect, not men, who can be terribly flawed.

Bringing justified legal actions is ALWAYS in the interest of the citizenry. It is THE PROCESS people need to respect, not men, who can be terribly flawed.

+1

:blink: she received only guidance from her brother, is that not involvement?

"He merely offered ideas and advice but was not involved in the party administration and decisions," she said of Thaksin

Just to confirm, Thaksin says offer free laptops, PTP offers free laptops, is that NOT being involved in decision making or administration? I wonder if she really believes into what she says