Gulf Air

beano2274

Am thinking of flying to the UK next year in April, at the moment Gulf Air are priced at 33,610baht per person, with a stopover of around 2 hours.

Has anyone flown with them and what were your thoughts?

tks in advance

they used to have a route out of dublin(now the ethiad route) and i flew with them about 4 times. back then i got 33 kgs in economy class check in baggage allowance which was great for coming back from thailand but there service seemed to get significantly worse as time went by. the last straw for me was when i was left with my dinner try on for 1 and half hour after i was finished eating. i got up to bring it back and noticed about 100 other people had the same problem and al the trays were just thrown all over the galley. i fault sorry for the air hostess when she seen it. soon after that they moved out of dublin

I agree with Triffid,look at Qatar,Etihad & Emirates

I've used all of those, and Gulf. From my experiences it is hard to choose much between any of them. Gulf wouldn't be my first choice from that list (Etihad would be, because I have had excellent experiences with them)), but if the price was good I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again...

I have flown all of the ones mentioned, but never Gulf. Qatar was by far the best, Etihad was good quite recently when I flew home, but Emirates to Dubai was a let down.

The price in April is very tempting 33,160, nearest rival Etihad at 39,950 then Qatar at just over 41,000 and lastly Emirates.

But have also been looking at the seat width, and Qatar wins that one easily, as my wife felt uncomfortable in a 17 inch seat that Etihad had. And the 777-300 from Bangkok to AUH with Etihad is 3-4-3, tightly packed.

But around 6,000baht saving or more is quite a lot, well over 100 quid!!!!!!!!

So more comments on Gulf would be most welcome.

I flew Gulf back in November Bkk-Lhr when I returned to the UK. The price (£350) was one of the cheapest at the time but it was the 32kg baggage allowance that swung it for me.

I'd read all the crappy reviews so was anticipating a rough ride but got exactly the opposite.

Both flights were on time, the service and food were both good. Maybe I'm easily pleased but thats all I ask of an airline.

2 hour stopover at Bahrain was also very painless.

I'd certainly use them again based on my last experience.

SL.

I've regularly flown the middle eastern routes, no airline has ever been bad enough to draw complaint, as long as the layover is only a couple of hours the journey is fine and most airlines get you there without issues. I flew Gulf recently LON - BKK, on the return to London as an early arrival I was offered a later non stop flight with Thai that arrived before my booked Gulf flight, also recieved 200 USD for my troubles......hardly likely to complain am I...:D

I was in the travel business for over 30 years so have flown a LOT.

Only flew Gulf once from bangkok to hongkong a few years ago. Board the plane to find some guy with a turban lying down on a row of seats one of which is mine....wake the guy up and ask him politely to move so i can sit down. He won't do it. Have to get flight attendant and SHE didn't want to ask him to move or find me another seat. Finally she finds me another seat next to toilet. Big mistake. Big lines in front of toilet and then somebody literally takes a CRAP on the floor of the toilet. Point it out to flight attendants and they do NOTHING. So sit there and watch people open the toilet door and see the pile of crap and quickly close door. Not a pleasant experience.

Guess if you fly enough you will see it all.

I used to use Dublin and Sydney service both so so

The big luggage is a plus

Also if you are canny and take a 7+ Bahrain stop over they'll put you up free usually in the rather dated Golden Tulip Hotel****

It includes what would be 3 star in Siam or 2 star in Ireland room en suite sat tv free water breakfast and pool

A cab to diggers makes a nice break if on long haul

Some passports have to pay for Bahran visa and of course the Saudi invasion and street protests make it appear risky tho to those used to Mid East its not at all as near the airport and far from the Shia demos etc

If price same I'd choose Qatar or Emirates and Id pay extra for Oman Air top notch and nicely half way with calm small transit zone in Muscat ( some but very limited grog ops)

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Admittedly a couple of years back, but I chose Gulf for a return flight to the UK, the flight to the Gulf was in a nice new plane but the second leg was in an old bone shaker and not very nice at all - still got me there though.

On the way back the two hour connection turned into eight due to a faulty plane in Abu Dhabi, bone shaker on both legs.

I'm looking at flights in January, Turkish are coming in at 29,000 all in, with a 90 min connection in Istambul, don't know what they are offering in April but worth a look, probably a bit early for offers though.

Edited by theoldgit

Gulf Air have a reputation for over booking flights so dont buy the cheapeast fare with them or you could be bumped overseas.You dont want to get stuck in Abudabi.A dreadful place.

I thought Gulf's hub is Bahrein, now that the other former-shareholder-states have their own airlines, Abu Dhabi would be Etihad ?

Gulf Air have a reputation for over booking flights so dont buy the cheapeast fare with them or you could be bumped overseas.You dont want to get stuck in Abudabi.A dreadful place.

I thought Gulf's hub is Bahrein, now that the other former-shareholder-states have their own airlines, Abu Dhabi would be Etihad ?

Very true - Gulf Air - Bahrain, AUH - Etihad

Also if you are canny and take a 7+ Bahrain stop over they'll put you up free usually in the rather dated Golden Tulip Hotel****

It includes what would be 3 star in Siam or 2 star in Ireland room en suite sat tv free water breakfast and pool

A cab to diggers makes a nice break if on long haul

They'll put you up for free anywhere of your choosing within the same price range.

Since you mention Diggers might as well stay at the Delmon International Hotel.

Chinese take out is not included in the budget though :)

Edited by meom

Very true - Gulf Air - Bahrain, AUH - Etihad

Hi, I lived in the gulf region for years and flew with all the main carriers at least a dozen times. Gulf are okay, they are cheaper than the others and they are more likely to mess you around than the others but I think you'd have to be unlucky to be messed about. If you've got a 2 hour stopover, it will be in Bahrain, and you'd have maybe half an hour to do some shopping. They are generally pretty good with the short stopovers, so you should be alright.

My experience was

Flights cheap, service generally okay

But

They change schedules and they do not care too much about doing this, once they change the schedule if you cant change your plans they offer to refund you. when we last went with them they changed the return flight and the outbound flight was 12 hour delayed, we missed connection, stayed in Bahrain for 12 hours.

If the flight is very cheap

If you are flexible

and

You not need to rely on the flight being on time and to schedule

Book.

My experience was

Flights cheap, service generally okay

But

They change schedules and they do not care too much about doing this, once they change the schedule if you cant change your plans they offer to refund you. when we last went with them they changed the return flight and the outbound flight was 12 hour delayed, we missed connection, stayed in Bahrain for 12 hours.

If the flight is very cheap

If you are flexible

and

You not need to rely on the flight being on time and to schedule

Book.

Been a routine GF passenger since late 90's, and started using them routinely for BAH-BKK from early 2005 to now.

Gulf is hit and miss on service, condition of the aircraft and ammenities. Sometimes its nice. Sometimes just ok, uneventful. When it's bad, it can be pretty bad across the board.

I would just take a deep breath before the flight, and submit to the fact it's not a long term life decision, it's just a ride from here to there.

Past 4 or so years, I've relegated myself to forking out the extra dough to sit up front. If you are able to do that, it does knock any possible rough edges off what might end up being a rough time in Economy. Seems price was your main consideration though.

Funny that comment about food trays being left out for long time after everyone is clearly done. Yeah, I've also seen that a number of times on GF long hauls too. Not like a little bit long, it was like an hour + each time I've noticed it, and the cabin crew was invisibile until too many people starting taking their own rubbish to the galley because, well, they wanted to get up from their seat and use the toilet. The delay, now that I can see clearly from the front, is they tend to gather and gossip and either ignore the passengers because it's company policy or simply lose track of time whilst socializing. Or both. :wacko:

Have a safe journey.

J

Distant memories for me thank God. You pay your money & take your choice. There are always exceptions but more often than not airlines that are consistently cheaper are cheaper for a reason. I think its reasonable to say that applies to Gulf. If cost is the bottom line they will get you there. There is absolutely no other reason to fly them, better airlines fly the same route. Below is a review for your route, its not bad, seen a lot worse for Gulf.

"BKK-BAH-LHR. I bought this flight from Bangkok International airport the day before departure, I needed to get home fairly quickly so settled for this airline, which was a bit of a mistake. The flight was a little late leaving but its rare to depart exactly on time. The plane was old and dirty, and seats not very comfortable. I am a very tall guy so I must have extra leg room which they were more than happy to arrange - but there were plenty of spare seats so if your on the ball you can grab a whole row and lay across, I was not so lucky, the seats were quite narrow too. The food was terrible, I couldn't eat half of it as its catered for middle-eastern people. Their prices are good and it shows - if you don't care about food and cleanliness then its fine, but I wouldn't fly with them again if I had the choice. The staff were friendly but you rarely see them only to give you food, and you don't get any free drinks, only with a meal. Bahrain airport is nice and clean with shops and restaurants if you want to eat there (McDonalds etc). Overall a budget international airline."

My link

Had a flight with them from Istanbul to Delhi with an overnight stopover in Baharain a few years back.. Free 5 * hotel with breakfast and dinner buffet for the stopover and they passed out beers 2 at a time while aloft. Great airline, if only BA and AC could follow suit all would be well in the world.

I flew on them from AUH-BKK and it was awful, old planes, delays and poor service. Only Etihad for me now.

Gulf Air do not fly from Abu Dhabi to Bangkok.

Until about 4-5 years ago they did.

I flew on them from AUH-BKK and it was awful, old planes, delays and poor service. Only Etihad for me now.

No they didn't. The flight would have been Abu Dhabi to Bahrain and then Bahrain to Bangkok.

Flew them once in 2002 on a round trip London/BKK-was obliged to stand entire flights apart from take off/landing because of the 29" seat pitch they had in economy at the time.

Never again but accept maybe they have reconfigured on later craft.

No they didn't. The flight would have been Abu Dhabi to Bahrain and then Bahrain to Bangkok.

Er, yes they most certainly did!

Yes, in the old days when Gulf Air was owned by several of the Gulf States (hence the name), their flights would often stop a couple-of-times across the Gulf, before/after the long-haul sector, but that was then, not now !

I recall once flying on a B737 Sanaa-Dubai-Doha-Bahrein with them, before changing onto a 'Golden Budgie' Tri-Star for BAH-LHR, it was a bit warm sitting in the sunlight at sea-level in the Gulf, waiting for them to shut the doors & get-on-with-it. B)