DTAC Chief Holds Mass Staff Meeting

webfact

TELECOM

DTAC chief holds mass staff meeting

By Sirivish Toomgum

The Nation

30160112-01.jpg

The head of Total Access Communication (DTAC), Jon Eddy Abdullah, met with employees yesterday to share the company's business direction and call for their cooperation in the highฌly competitive telecom market.

In the "One DTAC" meeting at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre, Abdullah met with about 3,000 staff, mostly from Bangkok, out of its total 6,200 staff nationwide. The aim of the event was for the chief executive officer to share his vision after taking office in March.

Abdullah reportedly told them that DTAC was trying to achieve a seamless joint working process among all units and to promote a decisionmaking process in which all staff could participate. It has also set the goal to become No 1 in the wireless data service segment.

DTAC, which has more than 22 million customers, is dealing with problems at many fronts. It is still waiting for a permit from its concession owner CAT Telecom to launch thirdgeneration wireless broadband on the 850megahertz spectrum on a commercial basis, a change from the current noncommercial trial basis.

Meanwhile, its rival TrueMove has alleged to a number of state authorities that DTAC is a foreign firm doing business in Thailand by circumventing the foreignbusiness law. The law limits foreign shareฌholding in Thai firms at 49.99 per cent.

The Commerce Ministry's Business Development Department, which has completed a preliminary probe of the case, will decide next Tuesday whether it will file a complaint with police that DTAC has allegedly breached the foreign business law or will simply pass its preliminary findings to police for further investigation.

The department suspects that DTAC's shareholding structure involves the use of nominees to hold the company's shares on foreigners' behalf to the extent that the foreign shareholding exceeds the legal limit.

TrueMove raised the case after DTAC filed a complaint at the Central Administrative Court in April that deals between True Corp group and CAT to develop a 3G service jointly may be illegitimate.

Abdullah reportedly told staff yesterday that DTAC had no need to keep exchanging punches with TrueMove but would fight back at the right time.

Norway's Telenor, which is DTAC's strategic partner, has affirmed that its operation in Thailand has complied with law and regulations, while True and CAT have affirmed that their 3G deals are also lawful.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-13

If they put their petty differences aside and worked together they'd all be reaping the benefits of 3G and possibly be looking to implement 4G as the rest of the world is.

Well said

Groan.......... here we go again. Just because you have an internet connection and can blog, does not mean you are a credible critic. Refer to other posts on this matter. If you talk about 4G for thailand, you dont understand telecoms or thailand

If they put their petty differences aside and worked together they'd all be reaping the benefits of 3G and possibly be looking to implement 4G as the rest of the world is.

Well said

Unfortunately, some people are too greedy. They want all of the profit and don't wanna share any. Just suckers like us the consumer that have to wait to get a decent internet connection in the year 2011.

Well said

I keep hearing these terms 3G and 4G, but what are they? Something more than using your phone for a conversation, and if so why would you want to? TIA for any clarification.

Having been a fully satisfied DTAC post paid customer for well over 4 years now, I continue to stand by them..

I have already cancelled my TRUE DSTV service in protest as they are the primary reason why DTAC is unable to deploy 3G services to their customer base.

Well said

I keep hearing these terms 3G and 4G, but what are they? Something more than using your phone for a conversation, and if so why would you want to? TIA for any clarification.

The future of the internet lies in mobile devices, a very powerful tool and very dangerous when controlled by selected groups. Your PC at home, your PCs in your office will connect via these kind of devices in the future. It's going to get cheaper and cheaper.

High speed internet for mobile devices like smartphones, iPhone, iPad, Android powered devices, et al.

Lots of people do more than just talk on these. Personally, I like reading Thaivisa while I'm sitting on the skytrain, and it is nice if I don't have to wait for minutes to load pages over slow GPRS or Edge connection. MB per second instead of KB per second.

I have already cancelled my TRUE DSTV service in protest as they are the primary reason why DTAC is unable to deploy 3G services to their customer base.

Time to lay off the Hallucinogens :whistling:

Maybe start reading some credible docs i.e. Analyst / Market reports to gain a real insight instead of some conversations at the bar with some drunks

I know this is the case, but I just don't understand how it is possible.

Can someone give me a short "dummy explanation" to how True can block DTAC from launching 3G or / and 4G in Thailand?

The whole thing sounds so stupid. It is as if Coca Cola could block Pepsi from selling their drinks in glass bottles.

Edited by ricku

Can someone give me a short "dummy explanation" to how True can block DTAC from launching 3G or / and 4G in Thailand?

The whole thing sounds so stupid. It is as if Coca Cola could block Pepsi from selling their drinks in glass bottles.

Agreed......the nutty reply will be interesting........

I am just perplexed about how many "arm chair experts" are out there. Seems all you need is an internet connection to put yourself out there as "someone in the know".

Comes across as their credible source is Joe Drunk over at the corner pub

Edited by skippybangkok

With the help of stooges from the indoctrinating globalists and to replace them(DTAC) with their companies. That's all about.

Analyst, Market Reports?? Sounds like YOU are the one taking into too much smoke dood!! :lol:

I know exactly what the situation is like here and I do have the FACTS.

Anyone who tells someone that analyst or market reports are "credible documents" is to be seriously questioned!

Time to lay off the Hallucinogens :whistling:

Maybe start reading some credible docs i.e. Analyst / Market reports to gain a real insight instead of some conversations at the bar with some drunks