Jack Russells

jackjones

I am toying with the idea of getting a Jack Russell over here. Have had a few in the past back in the U.K. Has anyone had any experience with them over here? I met a guy a good few years ago that had one in Chiangmai and it was having a great time chasing the rats on the banks of the Klong and was apparently quite popular for the same reason in the markets. I wonder how they would cope over here and as I live out of the city, it is snakes that would concern me because I know that Jack Russells don't like to back off from many things. Perhaps two of them might be a better option.

My family have always had 'Jacks' but sorry no info as to how they would handle the heat, can't see it being a problem. As for getting two….Defiantly a good idea. I also don't think you'll get a lot of snakes on your property.

Edited by Tonto21

My family have always had 'Jacks' but sorry no info as to how they would handle the heat, can't see it being a problem. As for getting two….Defiantly a good idea. I also don't think you'll get a lot of snakes on your property.

My next door neighbor has one - The heat does not seem to bother it as it always has a heavy T Shirt on B)

I have 2 Jack Russell puppies, 8 weeks old now, male and female, not family of each other.

I wanted them because they're great with snakes and other vermin, they know how to entertain themselves and they're literally not too much of a handful.

They're very active, play a lot, but during the hottest time of the day they prefer to sleep in the shade on some cool tiles.

Thanks very much for the replies and it is definitely food for thought. Good to know there are Jack Russells alive and well in Chiangmai. Interesting to hear that they can handle snakes and the occasional Jingjok. Maybe the two unrelated puppies will produce a few of their own down the line? Barking rats? Yes, they can certainly bark, but I have never thought of a Jack Russell as a rat. Put the two of them together and the Jack Russell would probably know the difference as well.