TrueVisions In Major Expansion Of HD Services

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Visions at it once more. In actuallity only 10% of their customers in Bangkok and surrounding areas have a fiber connection available. Thus about 10% of their customers will be able to view the new HD channels. Everywhere else in Thailand their service is provided by VSAT terminals.

Reason TV's VSAT system currently does not support the new HD channels is due to the fact HD channels will take up more transponder space on Thaicom 5 which is very costly. Don't hold your breath waiting for any additional channels on the VSAT sysyem cause it ain't gonna happen in your lifetime.

Edited by redsox44

My TV says that the best I got is 1080i, occasionally. But I've looked at the same film on a 1080 DVD, and the quality from True looks a lot lower. Cancelled my True yesterday when I realized they were offering the same old "quality". Tired of paying for suspect quality, very questionable programming, being treated like a non-person/non-customer because I don't live in Bangkok.

Are True's HD broadcasts actually in full HD (1080p)? or 720p or 1080i?

Is the audio in 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby Digital or DTS?

True Visions at it once more. In actuallity only 10% of their customers in Bangkok and surrounding areas have a fiber connection available. Thus about 10% of their customers will be able to view the new HD channels. Everywhere else in Thailand their service is provided by VSAT terminals.

Reason TV's VSAT system currently does not support the new HD channels is due to the fact HD channels will take up more transponder space on Thaicom 5 which is very costly. Don't hold your breath waiting for any additional channels on the VSAT sysyem cause it ain't gonna happen in your lifetime.

Right to the very crux of the biscuit, thanks for that info. Go Sox Pats Celts Bruins!!!!!

How about they improve their 3G network?

3G??? Even Cambodia is putting in 4G now, yet they are still squabbling over who gets to do 3G here in The Land of Smiles.:jap:

This has been going on so long, even the whining about the lack of 3G is boring now... :whistling:

My TV says that the best I got is 1080i, occasionally. But I've looked at the same film on a 1080 DVD, and the quality from True looks a lot lower. Cancelled my True yesterday when I realized they were offering the same old "quality". Tired of paying for suspect quality, very questionable programming, being treated like a non-person/non-customer because I don't live in Bangkok.

Are True's HD broadcasts actually in full HD (1080p)? or 720p or 1080i?

Is the audio in 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby Digital or DTS?

Yeah it's 1080i with a very low bit rate. I have heard it's not much better in many other places around the world, but to me it's far from the potential of HD.

Example when you really see the low bitrate in action was the football world cup last year. Everything was fine as long as not too much movement was on the screen, super high resolution. Zooming in on a player, you could see their face... until they started moving, which is when everything turned into a big bur. That's low bitrate for you. Same scene in slow motion - all is well again. At this bitrate HD is best for still images. Definitely not for sports. Some people never see this, but those are the same people that don't see any difference between SD and HD....

I researched this a bit on the internet after that, and what I found is that while 1080i is a standardized display resolution, it doesn't define a minimum bit rate for the digital content. So one could squeeze more HD channels on a given satellite by lowering the bitrate, which is exactly what they're doing.

How about they improve their 3G network?

3G??? Even Cambodia is putting in 4G now, yet they are still squabbling over who gets to do 3G here in The Land of Smiles.:jap:

This has been going on so long, even the whining about the lack of 3G is boring now... :whistling:

Agreed, it's such a joke. The extra mind boggling logic hiatus stupefying thing is, they could jump direct to 4G, don't really need to put in 3G.